Need new headlights...

AjspartanLJ

JUST picked up my first real Jeep, ‘04 LJ. Been waiting for this day for a decade...
The first thing I noticed I MUST change is the headlights. It’s my daily driver, and I travel for business.
Can’t break the bank, but I really don’t want Chinese knock-offs.

Have you seen this thread?

Jeep Wrangler TJ LED Headlight Upgrade Options

I compiled some of the most popular options there.

What is your budget?

Truck Lites (which are extremely popular and very nice headlights) can be had for around $320 for a set here: Truck-Lite (27270C) LED Headlights

The Truck Lite knockoffs can be had for around $100 here: Truck-Lite (27270C) LED Headlights (Chinese Knockoff Version)

The knockoffs are actually really good. A lot of members here run them and really like them. Check out a review thread on them here: Replaced Headlights w/Truck-Lite Knockoffs

It's going to be hard not to get Chinese knockoffs unless you're willing to spend at least $300.

Reactions: derekmac
I’ve got about a Grand for upgrades. Needs include lights, radio, flooring, and other smaller accessories.

file feb 21, 9 02 22 pm.png

You can do led or halogen. I went with the Rampage halogen set. Much better than stock, uses the super common h4 bulb, less than 100 bucks.
I’d like to eventually go LED, but that makes a bit more sense. Thanks!
Any other tips? I’m totally new to this world, but I’ve fantasized for years, haha!

one down side to the Amazon knock off is I get static in the radio on weaker stations, has to do with cheaper components letting RF out, trying to chase it down with ferrite magnets now. The cheap led that came in my bumper are far worse with that.
other than that they work great.

Quick question, Do you put much value on how the headlights look? Some people buy the LEDs not just for the increase light output but also for how they make their Jeeps look. I choose the $100 KC Hilites H4 conversion. Plenty of illumination for all of my on and off road needs. Good luck and welcome.

Quick question, Do you put much value on how the headlights look? Some people buy the LEDs not just for the increase light output but also for how they make their Jeeps look. I choose the $100 KC Hilites H4 conversion. Plenty of illumination for all of my on and off road needs. Good luck and welcome.
There are some headlights that look like a bugs eye with a bunch of leds in them.....I chose something different to give a more traditional look.

I'd vote LED headlights. While the sticker price may sting initially, you'll most likely save money in the long run. You said you'll eventually go LED, and from personal experience/observation, many do, so skip the intermediate placeholder lights, and buy LED. They "should" theoretically last the lifetime of your Jeep too - no bulbs to replace, etc.

(mine are the Chinese knock-off of JW Speaker, and have been "fine" for the price I paid. I'd prefer the real thing, and still plan to upgrade at some point in time - as soon as funds allow actually, but I've been happy enough with them so far to not regret buying them.).
Despite "weird" artifacting, mine have still been a big improvement, and the low power consumption is nice. (just the extended battery life alone if accidentally or purposely left on vs conventional lights is nice).

Note: if you do NOT go the led route, research into adding relays to your headlight system, which will pump a little more current to your headlights as well as save you from burning out the headlight switch.
I did this to my '97, as they were notorious for burning out the switches (and me having to replace 2-3 of them agreed). I do not know if this issue affects your model year or not though.

*Also be aware that you may lose the hi/lo beam INDICATOR in your dash with this relay system (which may or may not also be a legal issue in your state).

After my headlights burnt my switch at highway speed during the darkest night...I personally deemed the relay system to be worth losing the hi/lo beam indicator (and planned to find a workaround at a later time).

If you are looking for the cheapest route to upgrade and have led output. Search letgo or offerup, they might have a set of JK headlights were someone has spent a ton on angry bird crap and want to sell their stock headlights. One the stock JK headlights are a direct fit minus the H4-H13 adapter...... They are brighter than stock TJ headlights. You can buy led bulbs for the headlights. I usually find them for 20-30 bucks on these sites. Here is the pigtails..
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XXOLCIE/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: americanwrkmule
The Rampage H4 conversion that @Rob5589 mentioned is a definite improvement over the stock flash lights. Ran them myself for several years until I busted a lens on one while offroading. Switched over to Hella E-code housings,

https://www.quadratec.com/products/...MIn4bsl4-62QIVzVx-Ch3OzQEKEAQYASABEgIkvPD_BwE

And paired them up with Phillips Extreme Vision H4 bulbs.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007K6E51W/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Noticed even more improvement with this setup. Replace the stock fog lights with some knock off LED's in a flood pattern and you have a pretty good setup. I angle the fogs slightly outward towards the fog line to better see critters that might want to become a hood ornament.

The Rampage H4 conversion that @Rob5589 mentioned is a definite improvement over the stock flash lights. Ran them myself for several years until I busted a lens on one while offroading. Switched over to Hella E-code housings,

https://www.quadratec.com/products/...MIn4bsl4-62QIVzVx-Ch3OzQEKEAQYASABEgIkvPD_BwE

Noticed even more improvement with this setup. Replace the stock fog lights with some knock off LED's in a flood pattern and you have a pretty good setup. I angle the fogs slightly outward towards the fog line to better see critters that might want to become a hood ornament.
I ended up ordering the Rampage H4 as well. After a lot of looking, I just wasn’t that happy with that new look. Call me crazy, as a lot of coworkers have, but I don’t WANT the new JL or even a JK. I wanted a TJ all along for that old rugged look.

Reactions: KMG

I also went with this exact approach. For the money, it is hard to beat. Plenty of light for normal driving and while not legal, I have not been flashed nor bothered by cops. LEDs are often a trigger for police to check if you are legal (I know many LED are legal). The e-codes matched with some good driving lights will cover the average driver. They actual work really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Bus Depot lights, pretty much as the Hella E-Codes. I replaced the 60/55 watt bulbs with 100/90 watt bulbs and couldn't be happier with them.
I had LED spots and a bar, but for me, they were too white, everything looked overexposed, like the contrast was up too high.
And no, you DON'T need to upgrade your wiring harness to use the higher watt bulbs.

I have TruckLites on mine. Significantly brighter and further reaching than the Hella Vision Plus I had before. My only complaint is that I miss the warmer color of the halogen bulbs. LEDs are very white and that isn't necessarily the best color temperature for the human eye.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I had LED spots and a bar, but for me, they were too white, everything looked overexposed, like the contrast was up too high.
My only complaint is that I miss the warmer color of the halogen bulbs. LEDs are very white and that isn't necessarily the best color temperature for the human eye.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
My point exactly.

Have you seen this thread?

Jeep Wrangler TJ LED Headlight Upgrade Options

I compiled some of the most popular options there.

What is your budget?

Truck Lites (which are extremely popular and very nice headlights) can be had for around $320 for a set here: Truck-Lite (27270C) LED Headlights

The Truck Lite knockoffs can be had for around $100 here: Truck-Lite (27270C) LED Headlights (Chinese Knockoff Version)

The knockoffs are actually really good. A lot of members here run them and really like them. Check out a review thread on them here: Replaced Headlights w/Truck-Lite Knockoffs

It's going to be hard not to get Chinese knockoffs unless you're willing to spend at least $300.
Stupid question. The knockoffs you linked above show a 35W & 75W version. I see others that have 35w low beams and 75w high beams. Is this some sort of typo from the amazon listing or am I missing something? I know with HIDs they have dual w but just wanna make sure I’m right before I pull the trigger on a set.