Need new shocks... Suggestions?

YellaTJ

Ride of the Month Winner
Hey Jeepers,

So my TJ developed the dreaded death wobble, I've diagnosed the issues and I'm currently fixing them.
But I'm looking at upgrading my shocks in the process, I feel like my shocks are too weak for my set-up. Currently running a skyjacker 3.5" lift with 33s.

Looking to go with Rancho 7000 series? Suggestions for a smooth ride?? I mostly ride dirt trails, but it occasionally goes off roading!

Thanks in advance!

The Rancho 7000 series are way too stiff.

The best shocks you can get are the Rancho RS5000X, or RS9000XL.

I've run Fox 2.0s, Bilstein 5100s, and OME Nitrochargers. I finally settled on the Rancho RS5000X shocks, as they have the BEST ride of all the ones I've tried. The others don't even come close. Read around this forum and you'll understand why the Rancho RS5000X is so highly praised. It's the only shock out there that is actually made for the lighter weight of the TJ. The others are all meant for much, much heavier vehicles (i.e. full size trucks).

Stay far away from the Rancho RS7000. They are great for full size vehicles but are way to stiff for our light Jeeps.

The best choice would be the Rancho RS5000X

Last edited:
Reactions: Nicholas
Go for the Rancho RS5000X. Great street ride and great offroad control. As said above stay away from the too stiff RS9000. I'm not even sure after this past weekend of wheeling if I like the much more expensive RS9000XL shocks as well as my previous RS5000X shocks they replaced.

I've been happy with my Rancho 9000xl's. It was nice to be able to adjust the shocks and dial in the best ride. If I were shopping today I woulp probably just get the 5000's, though. The adjustability of the 9000xl's is nice but probably not worth the extra $. Call around for prices. When I purchased mine I was able to get them at cost.

I just did 5000x shocks and steering stabilizer - they are great and the ride is very, very good. My stuff was worn out so there was a pretty drastic change in feel :)

I just did 5000x shocks and steering stabilizer - they are great and the ride is very, very good. My stuff was worn out so there was a pretty drastic change in feel :)

I feel mine will be the same, I believe the kit has been in there for the last 8-10 yrs. Time for some new life!!

I've been happy with my Rancho 9000xl's. It was nice to be able to adjust the shocks and dial in the best ride. If I were shopping today I woulp probably just get the 5000's, though. The adjustability of the 9000xl's is nice but probably not worth the extra $. Call around for prices. When I purchased mine I was able to get them at cost.

Totally agree here as well. I love my 9000xls but if I was to make the purchase again I'd go 5000x as well. They weren't out when I bought my 9000xls. These dang 9000xls, I continue to play with the knobs changing the shocks all the time.