Need opinions on possible LJ Rubicon purchase

Any PCM issues? Or will there be? P. My 05 LJ Rubicon auto went south at 79,480 miles and this was before there were any reliable sources to address the issue. This was all I needed to justify swaping over to a LS and have never looked back. I am also seeing that these LJ's seem to hold their value a little better than the TJ line.
I would say go for it but only after you do your due diligence and research.

I was never a fan of the 42rle even geared to 5.38s. That would be my primary concern with that rig. I searched for six months to find a LJ Rubi with the 6-speed so I didn’t have to deal with the 42rle.

Should be a very capable rig off-road. Good luck m!

Looks like a pretty good start to me — solid and an LJR with low miles, although, like they say with race cars, "only 71K miles, 1/4 mile at a time." Could have a lot of hours on the engine and tranny. Check those out and plan on spending a chunk of change personalizing for your intended use. But starting with a clean base you are 100% ahead than a lot of Jeeps I see offered for sale for a much higher prices.

Just some additional observation after looking at the pictures more. The front control arms have been modified by someone replacing the gyro joint with what looks to be a JJ.

1677044012487.png

So if you go to look at it look to see what was done with the rear lower control arm mounts. Be curious to know if it's still using gyro joints or JJ there also.
And it's got the Nth Degree diff skids on both axles.

I'd also look real closely at the steering. It appears to be some type of heim joint steering.

1677044384962.png

Reactions: reddvltj
Some of the pluses with the AiRock system is that when loading your rig for a family weekend out and about it will always sit level no matter if you've got 100 lbs of gear or 400 lbs of gear in the back. The height sensors tell the computer to level it to the preset height and it does this by increasing or decreasing the amount of air in the air springs. Driving on a twisty road? The active suspension will compensate for this as you go around corners.
Or towing a adventure trailer? The suspension will self level for that also. And with the SwayLoc being integrated into the system it will unlock when off-road and lock when on road.

I have the AiRock system on my TJ and...

I've torn 2 air springs but both were my fault and nothing to do with the product.

Gotta ask, where and how did that happen? And was it two different times or both at once?

I'll admit I'm not planning on finding nor buying an AiRock system, it's just an "inquiring minds" thing.

Reactions: John Cooper
Gotta ask, where and how did that happen? And was it two different times or both at once?

I'll admit I'm not planning on finding nor buying an AiRock system, it's just an "inquiring minds" thing.

1st time was when I first got the Jeep running after the first V-8 swap and had made a trackbar mount on the axle side but hadn't rounded the edges of the mount.

IMG00874[1].jpg

IMG00875[1].jpg

Drove it down the road about 1/2 mile & had come back to the garage.

IMG00877[1].jpg

Sits right near the spring pad.

IMG00878[1].jpg

Next time was in Moab 2007 and I'd redone some work on the mount and was using a flag nut but hadn't set it in the correct direction so it couldn't spin....
Was out bombing down a dirt road when I noticed my compressor running all the time. Stopped to find it smoking from running so long. Had to cap off the line going to that air spring and limp back to camp. Luckily there was another person in camp who had the AiRock and had a spare bag. So Steve from ORO set it up for me to get his & then I paid for another one and it was shipped to the other owner.

IMGP0448.JPG

IMGP0457.JPG

Here is the back side of the flag nut and the bag next to it. The bolt had spun and the flag just sliced right thru the bag.

IMGP0458.JPG

I was never a fan of the 42rle even geared to 5.38s. That would be my primary concern with that rig. I searched for six months to find a LJ Rubi with the 6-speed so I didn’t have to deal with the 42rle.

Should be a very capable rig off-road. Good luck m!

I install a relay that turns the overdrive off when you put the transmission in gear- It is the only thing that makes it tolerable to me.

I install a relay that turns the overdrive off when you put the transmission in gear- It is the only thing that makes it tolerable to me.

Good idea. I would automatically just hit that OD switch as soon as I started the rig. Big problem for me was having the PCM take a dump while wheeling in the Sierra Nevada mountains. I can fix broken Axle shafts and ujoints on the trail but can’t repair a fried PCM.

Reactions: AndyG and Wildman
Good idea. I would automatically just hit that OD switch as soon as I started the rig. Big problem for me was having the PCM take a dump while wheeling in the Sierra Nevada mountains. I can fix broken Axle shafts and ujoints on the trail but can’t repair a fried PCM.

Nope - bad bad deal there- might be good to stash a manual pcm too if its a long term rig- word is those for manuals are rare and pricey-