Need some help with dash and body wiring

buddyjohn

Just got a new to me 05 tj. Had no running lights in the rear while wiring up a vehicle side trailer harness, and boy did I find out why.

Someone overpowered the factory speakers and melted the wires, I'm in the process of fully chasing them still, its in multiple harnesses.

Any help is very much appreciated as this is my daily driver, I'm very lucky this thing didn't set on fire.

Maybe a diagram if anyone has one handy, for what wires I have that still have a jacket on them I can see what I'm working with.

Also any good places to pickup harnesses if I have to go that route. Dead jeeps seems like a decent place I got kj parts for, good for tjs too hopefully?

Thanks a ton in advance for anyone who can share some helpful knowledge. Sorry if I missed any needed info, I'm still in scramble mode mentally.

20230302_133402.jpg

Here is a link to the Factory Service Manuals. This should help you. https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ice-manuals-fsm-technical-documentation.4618/

Awesome, I saw those in a sticky and for some reason immediately thought owners manual which i have, haha. That's what happens when one assumes something.

I will dig on through it, thank you.

*Edit, got it downloaded and looking through the pinouts. I am not sure what my connectors are called, I will check if they are labeled in some way themselves. Tricky that I don't know what these main plugs are called, is there an easy way to identify them that I'm maybe overlooking?

Last edited:
Tricky that I don't know what these main plugs are called, is there an easy way to identify them that I'm maybe overlooking?

Starting on page 801 of the 05 Service manual, it gives a handy dandy illustration of all the different harness connections with their respective pinout #'s and wire colors. Simply match the plug to the photo.

I think the connector in your photo is connector C300, page 816 or utilize "Ctrl+F" to search the manual faster.

1677801837152.png

Last edited:
Starting on page 801 of the 05 Service manual, it gives a handy dandy illustration of all the different harness connections with their respective pinout #'s and wire colors. Simply match the plug to the photo.

Thank you for the reply, I found that section and saw that it was c300 and c301 that were the plugs in question for me.

Reactions: Obi-Wan
These guys should be able to help you out with a replacement harness.

https://www.briskeymountain4wd.com/

Awesome, as I looked at it more, I think I am leaning towards a whole different harness rather than trying to repair.

Also found out that more than the speaker wires, the wire that burned clean to bare copper was a yellow/brown that through the pin out said is for interior lights. Makes me wonder if it was fused wrong or what, I'll have to dig in further.

Thanks to everyone that's chimed in, it helps a ton!

Reactions: hear
Awesome, as I looked at it more, I think I am leaning towards a whole different harness rather than trying to repair.

Also found out that more than the speaker wires, the wire that burned clean to bare copper was a yellow/brown that through the pin out said is for interior lights. Makes me wonder if it was fused wrong or what, I'll have to dig in further.

Thanks to everyone that's chimed in, it helps a ton!

I think replacing the harness would be the way to go. I paid $125 for an '06 body harness from Briskey Mountain.

I think replacing the harness would be the way to go. I paid $125 for an '06 body harness from Briskey Mountain.

Awesome, if I can get one for under $200 I will gladly go that route, and not have to worry if I missed a partially melted wire.

You all are top notch for the replies and info.

Does anyone happen to know if the body harnesses are transmission specific?

Mines a manual, and there were connectors for both my brake and clutch pedal that I had to undo.

Unfortunately briskey is out of harnesses at the moment, but I wanted to make sure I knew what I was buying before trying ebay or other places for a harness.

Reactions: hear
Does anyone happen to know if the body harnesses are transmission specific?

Mines a manual, and there were connectors for both my brake and clutch pedal that I had to undo.

Unfortunately briskey is out of harnesses at the moment, but I wanted to make sure I knew what I was buying before trying ebay or other places for a harness.

The “best” way I know to tell if there are transmission differences is to look at all the connectors in that section and check for pin outs that have a star or dagger or dot or whatever next to them. I don’t know if that is a *foolproof* way to tell, however.

This is for the crank position sensor on an 04, which has 2 variations, for example.

0B29B293-EFD0-45E2-A453-C55C49E7EF02.jpeg

Figured I'd update this thread, thank you @hear for the info there. Two body harnesses later, I have all my lights working again, with no wires catching on fire.

From what I could tell there was no difference in A/T and M/T on the body harnesses, or I just got lucky getting the one I needed.

Thank you to all who chimed in.

Crankshaft/rear main seal job is next, just one fun project after another :LOL:

Side question, do I have to be a supporting member to give likes to all the posts that helped me out? I plan on becoming one, but the tj being down this long has got me pinching pennies for the moment haha.

Reactions: RubiconRic
Side question, do I have to be a supporting member to give likes to all the posts that helped me out? I plan on becoming one, but the tj being down this long has got me pinching pennies for the moment haha.

No, but some features are message count dependent.