Need to prepare for fording, any engine / electrics waterproofing tips?

Shropshirewrangler

TJ Enthusiast
resize2.JPG

From time to time I do a bit of the above, usually in the RAI equipped Land Rover, and often up to the headlights, steady speed, correct gear, bow wave etc.
This year I'm going to use the TJ.
Any tips much appreciated 😎

Last edited:
Reactions: matkal
Not electronics related, but you may consider upgrading the vent lines from the axles, transmission, and transfer case to a type that allows vacuum to be broken. From what I understand, the factory vents act like check valves, which can create a partial vacuum in the axles, especially when the axles are rapidly cooled like during water immersion, which can ultimately suck water in through the seals.

Items like the ARB breather are designed to break the vacuum and keep the pressures on the seals at a minimum.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QBQYNF0/?tag=wranglerorg-20

If you have a 32RH the vent is in a very poor position in the bellhousing from what I remember. @Jerry Bransford has reminded me a few times that it is very important not to get that thing wet. There are also a few threads about unhappy transmissions "floating" around.

Last edited:
You have the 32RH automatic which is NOT a good transmission for fording water. Its vent hole is on the front of the transmission 2-3" above its input shaft and that area is easily flooded with water so water could easily get into your transmission through that vent hole.

The only way to get around that is to drop your transmission, seal that vent hole (like via TIG welding) and then drill and tap a new vent hole in the top and attach a vent hose to it via a barbed fitting threaded into the housing.

I wouldn't drive a TJ with a 32RH transmission into water as deep as you're describing. Water inside an automatic transmission is a death sentence unless drained, completely flushed, and refilled immediately after getting water inside. It's not worth the high risk of this happening based on your description of what you want to do.

You have the 32RH automatic which is NOT a good transmission for fording water. Its vent hole is on the front of the transmission 2-3" above its input shaft and that area is easily flooded with water so water could easily get into your transmission through that vent hole.

The only way to get around that is to drop your transmission, seal that vent hole (like via TIG welding) and then drill and tap a new vent hole in the top and attach a vent hose to it via a barbed fitting threaded into the housing.

I wouldn't drive a TJ with a 32RH transmission into water as deep as you're describing. Water inside an automatic transmission is a death sentence unless drained, completely flushed, and refilled immediately after getting water inside. It's not worth the high risk of this happening based on your description of what you want to do.
Thanks @Jerry Bransford, not exactly the reply I was hoping for!
What, in your opinion, is a safe wading depth for an I6 with a 32RH in standard form?

Last edited:

I got my first jeep - '99 TJ Wrangler with 32RH Auto. Eager to drive it to the camp after rain and high water to check the camp. Now I can finally do that because I have a Jeep! Water in the transmission, two tows, and the tranny Just cost me $3,000.00. I'm ill . . .

• Wow
Reactions: Jerry Bransford

We do a trip to Disney, OK every year which involves a lot of river crossings, some of which get a little deep. Previously I've taken the JKU and not had any problems, but this year I'm taking the TJ. Our trip is at the end of August, my plan is to replace that vent as you describe in the next few weeks. It's really irritating that they did it this way for a Jeep application, but my rage doesn't help keep the water out.

(if you're following my other thread about ATF leaks after the SYE, this is my biggest reason behind not wanting to replace that seal right now, since I know I'm going to drop the whole thing down again in a few weeks)

Reactions: Jerry Bransford

hey JB this might be a stupid question but why not just do that with the existing vent hole ?

Or, while the transmission is down, you could just replace it with a manual instead! Problem solved plus massive upgrade to the Jeep 😆
A lot of the manuals have similar vents. The NSG370 vent is right where the shifter tower assembly bolts to the transmission case. That said, it isn't too hard to attach a hose to it.

A lot of the manuals have similar vents. The NSG370 vent is right where the shifter tower assembly bolts to the transmission case. That said, it isn't too hard to attach a hose to it.
Exactly, the AX-5 and AX-15 have open vents on them. They don't have remote vent hoses like newer transmissions do.