Need your help: Is it foolish to install a $700 Sony CarPlay unit in a TJ without a hardtop?

I just replaced mine as well. But I went with the typical go-to Sony Bluetooth marine radio. Surprisingly it sounds much better than my 8 year old CD, usb AUX Pioneer. And I went face-off because yes, I was concerned that any temptation is hard to pass up for most people, nevermind the junkies. Especially when the top in back.

Reactions: MikeE024
I just replaced mine as well. But I went with the typical go-to Sony Bluetooth marine radio. Surprisingly it sounds much better than my 8 year old CD, usb AUX Pioneer. And I went face-off because yes, I was concerned that any temptation is hard to pass up for most people, nevermind the junkies. Especially when the top in back.

I'm a fan of the Sony marine unit. I went my route mainly because I got accustomed to the backup camera and maps with my previous unit.

Reactions: JMT
I'm a fan of the Sony marine unit. I went my route mainly because I got accustomed to the backup camera and maps with my previous unit.

I'm not gonna lie I really was on the fence. But I got lazy and didn't bother with the back up camera because I figured since the TJ is so short I could see everything behind me with a simple turn of the head. As far as maps, my eyesight is still good enough to use my phone on a mount. But I'm sure in the next five years I'll be upgrading to one and a half din w a screen lol

Audio used to be a priority for me.

But with the TJ, every time I get my Crutchfield cart loaded up with 2- 3 grand of stuff I find something better to spend it on.

My vintage removeable face tape deck kicks ass paired with a Bluetooth FM transmitter :D

thumbnail_20240521_072540.jpg

I'm not gonna lie I really was on the fence. But I got lazy and didn't bother with the back up camera because I figured since the TJ is so short I could see everything behind me with a simple turn of the head. As far as maps, my eyesight is still good enough to use my phone on a mount. But I'm sure in the next five years I'll be upgrading to one and a half din w a screen lol

Thats kinda why I didnt do mine yet too

Installing the rear camera was much easier than I thought it would be...doing my ex's 4Runner with the sliding window was 20x worse. I wouldn't want to do that again.

For the TJ, I ran power from the driver-side reverse light up into the tub, then along the wheel well, then behind the plastic cover on the left of the driver seat and up through the dash to the stereo. It's legit easy.

The camera helped calm my nerves when backing up around people with my 35 inch tire that used to be up higher. There were students constanctly walking behind my Jeep wearing head phones when I'd try back out. And little people in parking lots. I don't worry about it much now that I have the option to verify.

The main benefit at this point, is just having the map and music screen bigger so I can glance quicker and put my eyes back on the road. None of that is necessary, but it is nice.

That’s another way to do it.

You bring the booms with you when you leave your vehicle?

If I lived in perpetual warm weather, I can see that. Music on the beach is a must. But personally, I enjoy listening to my vehicles audio while cruising down the highway. I have a self-powered sub hidden in the center console and it's absolutely one of the best purchases for my Jeep since owning it. It legit sounds better than my JK Sahara's audio. You can clearly hear everything, and feel it without it being obnoxious.
Installing the rear camera was much easier than I thought it would be...doing my ex's 4Runner with the sliding window was 20x worse. I wouldn't want to do that again.

For the TJ, I ran power from the driver-side reverse light up into the tub, then along the wheel well, then behind the plastic cover on the left of the driver seat and up through the dash to the stereo. It's legit easy.

The camera helped calm my nerves when backing up around people with my 35 inch tire that used to be up higher. There were students constanctly walking behind my Jeep wearing head phones when I'd try back out. And little people in parking lots. I don't worry about it much now that I have the option to verify.

The main benefit at this point, is just having the map and music screen bigger so I can glance quicker and put my eyes back on the road. None of that is necessary, but it is nice.

A fantastic tool for when you have an obstruction like a spare. Particularly a 35.

Last edited:
My TJ looks like a s-box. I live in a rural area, my head unit cost $100. I don't have to worry about someone trying to steal it. Still I try not to let it out of my sight.

Reactions: swtrailboss
Dang. I have a JBL Blu tooth speaker for when I'm driving to a trail. It doesn't work for calls though. Usually when I'm on a trail, I don't listen to music. When I can, both windows are down so I can listen to my jeep and the trail. I guess that I like my quiet time when I'm out enjoying nature.

Check out the Sony XAV-XA3200
Single din but double din screen. You won’t have to cut into your sub dash.
The only issues you may have is CarPlay is wired and screen is not as bright as I’d like but with top off in sun not many units u can see. About 1/2 the price your looking at.
Super easy install with Crutcfield pre built cable ($24) and plenty loud… not as loud as my 100watt Marshall collection but ok for a Jeep.
Andy has a great write up on this site

Did the exact same install on my TJ ….soft top! Just leave the doors unlocked so you minimize damage if theft occurs! Windows and tops are more costly than a $400 audio unit . Price u pay for soft tops……but I love my Bluetooth audio and phone and wired Apple car play!’!!!!

Reactions: MikeE024
Well roll the dice. I just install a marine radios with a flip up covers to cut down on rain killing it (them) #2. Next to replace the speakers, I do regret changing out the stock one, due to I don't know where it is. When I lived in S.E. GA it spent most of the time without top n doors. On do people still steal car radios yes, obviously someone does my Comanche's Kenwood systems got ripped off.... I guess some people are still playing CD's 🤔

Reactions: panthercat187
Unfortunately the $700 unit is not your biggest problem. They will take a knife to your softop and a prybar to the dash. I wouldn't give them a reason to do that.

Adding to this...3 guys were stealing my daughter's friends catalytic converter on Friday night. He walked up to the car after his shift. One of these fuckheads pulled a gun and murdered him.

https://abc7.com/post/man-shot-killed-after-interrupting-theft-catalytic-converter/14871148/

If they will murder someone over $400 in scrap, what will they do to you or you jeep over $700 or a $1000 bucks in stereo equipment.

Maybe you're in a safer place up in Big Bear?

Adding to this...3 guys were stealing my daughter's friends catalytic converter on Friday night. He walked up to the car after his shift. One of these fuckheads pulled a gun and murdered him.

https://abc7.com/post/man-shot-killed-after-interrupting-theft-catalytic-converter/14871148/

If they will murder someone over $400 in scrap, what will they do to you or you jeep over $700 or a $1000 bucks in stereo equipment.

This enrages me. I feel for his family and friends who’ll to have to carry this with them.

At this point, I’m mentally prepared that someone will drill a hole in my gas tank after being too lazy/stupid to remove the cap and siphon the gas out.

Reactions: Zorba
I would never put a stereo in my Jeep that didn't have a removable face plate or removable screen for theft deterrence. I don't care how low the cost of the stereo. The cost magnifies when you have to replace your console and dash, and fix any electrical after the stereo had been ripped out. It doesn't matter if it is a $100 dollar stereo or a $700 dollar stereo. A thief won't waste his time when has to buy a face plate or a screen that will cost him more than the stolen stereo is worth on the black market. Of course, don't be an idiot and remove the screen and put it behind your front seat. Thieves will watch you and notice that you didn't take it with you. I knew a guy that did this, and they stole his stereo and the face plate behind his front seat.

Reactions: CreepinDeth

Thats terrible news man
Democrats enabled this kind of reality in Americas cities