Need your opinions on BF Goodrich KM2 MT 35x12.5x15 tires

Eddie Greenlee

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I now have by way of trade a set of 4 - BF Goodrich T/A Mud Terrain KM2 35x12.5x15s . They are radial tires. I was wondering if any of you have a rating or opinion about them.
Im not sure what T/A or KM2 means so please share that also if you know. The back tires seem to be making a good bit of noise around 65 mph.

thanks

I’ve got those exact same tires and the same size on my 1988 Toyota Pickup and my 2001 TJ right now, it wasn’t on purpose it just kinda worked out that way. So far I don’t have any complaints about them at all. I don’t know what the T/A stands for but BFG is the manufacturer, KM2 is the name of the actual tire.

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
I just took a set of 35X12.50R17 KM2s off of my Jeep and installed a set of the KM3s.
Tough for me to say anything bad about them as I was the product manager for that tire. So I'll just say I liked them and continue.
The "K" series of tires is the Key feature of this tire is Mud. Thus the KM designation. The 2 is simply the second generation of this tire using this naming. (The previous tire to this was the KM. And the KM3 will launch this year.) Compare to the KO which is On/Off road. Which the latest generation of that tire is KO2.

The T/A designation goes way back before Michelin bought Uniroyal/Goodrich tires. There was a tire being developed that the team wanted to use "Trans Am" in the name. That was owned by a racing series and of course they wanted a royalty for each tire sold. That wasn't going to happen so the shortened "T/A" was used. And the T/A became part of many of the tire line's name in BFG.

Thank you very much. What a history lesson. I have a 97 tj and I noticed around 55 or 60 they get pretty loud, but under that speed there fairly quiet and can talk over the noise easily. Is that a common trait of that tire. I am running 26 lbs of pressure in them, will a different psi run any quieter ? I realize they are mud tires, so i know that are going to make noise.

@DrDirt share the story and with it the definition you was looking fr the description.
I have of both KM2 and KO2 and can't said anything negative about either of them. That is the reason I'm moving into the KM3's too. I will said that if the tires were wheeled off road a lot especially on rocks, they wear uneven and that cause some extra noise when at those speeds. I'm currently running my KO2 around 25 psi for that reason.

I just took a set of 35X12.50R17 KM2s off of my Jeep and installed a set of the KM3s.
Tough for me to say anything bad about them as I was the product manager for that tire. So I'll just say I liked them and continue.
The "K" series of tires is the Key feature of this tire is Mud. Thus the KM designation. The 2 is simply the second generation of this tire using this naming. (The previous tire to this was the KM. And the KM3 will launch this year.) Compare to the KO which is On/Off road. Which the latest generation of that tire is KO2.

The T/A designation goes way back before Michelin bought Uniroyal/Goodrich tires. There was a tire being developed that the team wanted to use "Trans Am" in the name. That was owned by a racing series and of course they wanted a royalty for each tire sold. That wasn't going to happen so the shortened "T/A" was used. And the T/A became part of many of the tire line's name in BFG.

I am needing new tires. I have always ran BFG's. Should i wait for the KM3 ? Any idea how long until we see them in Canada ?