Neighbor purchased this '97 TJ

CharlesHS

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
A couple days ago a neighbor purchased this '97 TJ 4.0L 5 speed w/ Dana 35 that supposedly has the original 64K miles as a daily driver for his girlfriend; he asked me to look at the Jeep to see what I thought.
By looking at the undercoating and bits of rust in certain areas (no rust holes) this Jeep was a not used much other than driving on the beach (what PO stated).
As I walked up to the Jeep I started asking him questions which the new owner had no answers.
At a distance of 30' the vehicle looks decent, but at you get closer the trained eye can start to identify problems.
The paint job has texture which may be a spray in bed liner and the paint may have been applied with a paint brush.
The Jeep has the larger width fender flairs to accommodate the Dick Cepek 33x12.5x15 MTs on ProComp rims and appears to have 4-6" of lift.
The lower control arms are fixed length curved with rubber bushings and the uppers are stock; not sure how the caster is adjusted or driveline vibrations are resolved.
The steering has the factory drag link and tie rod assembly, bump stops have rotted away and the exhaust is within 1" of tire tread.
I could not determine if the Dana 35 has a Super 35 kit, but still have the drum brakes.
The gas tank skid has holes eaten thru in a several areas.
There is a SYE installed with a DC driveshaft and has 1" spacers for the transfercase skid plate, unknown who made the SYE drive or shaft, but the slider splines for the driveshaft are extended approximately 6-8".
The winch is a Warn winch with hand held remote, but the wiring is routed and tie wrapped along the A/C hose, there is no fuse or overload inline and the negative side has a Frankenstein bar disconnect, the alternator is stock, the battery has 700CCA, cables are stock with terminal clamps in poor condition.
The front and rear bumpers are AEG, the new rear tire carrier is bolted to the cargo hatch which appears to be putting a lot of strain on the hinges.
The brake system was converted from ABS to regular, the proportioning valve was replaced along with the brake lines to the drums and calipers and new rubber lines.
The owner commented the speedometer is OFF by more than 10 mph and has no idea what gearing is in the differentials or whether the carriers are open or have traction devices.
The fuel injector rail and injectors were replaced, the fuel supply line was replaced with an aftermarket braided line probably due to fuel rail requiring a different fitting than the stock fuel fitting.
Unknown if the engine was rebuild or original; new owner didn't ask many questions about the Jeep.
His girlfriend owned a Jeep years ago that went up in a blaze of glory (unknown why) so the neighbor bought her this one because both of them liked the looks.
The Jeep comes with a hard top and soft top (in pieces) and the PO has a new seal on order for the rear glass. The original window was broken when the window wasn't latched and the Jeep was driven on the highway.
Now you are probably asking yourself how much the neighbor spent for this Jeep; the PO was asking $20,000 and that is what the neighbor paid without trying to talk the owner down, without taking the Jeep to a mechanic or asking a friend to come look at the Jeep.
I started to inform the neighbor the problems I identified, but his facial expression indicated he didn't appreciate my observations.

68806629930__8641610A-55A8-4B9D-93E5-491E36CFFEE2.jpg

68806628909__4BB43DBB-0B9C-459E-A390-6F8E40D91018.jpg

68806631004__62575553-DC1F-49A7-A39B-498003FCBB23.jpg

68806632339__40B30A01-25EF-4DD6-9E80-39D9520FB21A.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: dvngdg
I started to inform the neighbor the problems I identified, but his facial expression indicated he didn't appreciate my observations.

While we don't know if that has been a good neighbor, a Pain In The Ass neighbor, or somewhere in between,, Hopefully he was unappreciative enough to not become the PITA neighbor that wants you to fix every damn problem that ever surfaces.

Good Luck Sir!!!

Reactions: BillW
The 20 ft pictures are showing me what could be a $10,000 to $12,000 Jeep depending on if the center skid plate could be easily unbolted AND bolted back on without issues. 64k miles sounds good, $20K sounds crazy to me no matter what the TJ market is doing.

While there were a lot things done to the Jeep; some of the parts would not be my first or even fifth choice.
I mentioned the skid plate spacers to the new owner and he just gave me the "Why should that be a concern" facial expression.
You can't just say that certain parts or modifications cost this much so I will add that to the vehicle price; you generally don't get more than 30% added to the selling price in return to what the part or modification cost.
Not even sure the 64,000 on the odometer is accurate; you would need to compare that with what the PCM recorded.
Here is Jacksonville, FL I agree with your appraisal price of that Jeep, but places like California you might get $14-15K....
I offered to download a PDF of the FSM for his Jeep and he said.... " If there is a problem with the Jeep I will take it to the mechanic".

You can't just say that certain parts or modifications cost this much so I will add that to the vehicle price; you generally don't get more than 30% added to the selling price in return to what the part or modification cost.
Apparently you can if you find the right buyer.😐

That is called knowing nothing and trying to make your girl friend happy. She mentioned she would like to have a Jeep.

The “take it to the mechanic” doesn’t hold water because the average mechanic won’t catch any where near what you did and won’t even think to fix the other issues listed below- they’ll sell him a stabilizer and alignment and say it’s a Jeep.

The low mileage indicates it drives horrible, likely has no caster, vibes and likely the axles are not centered and it has a wonky feel.

It will mostly sit or get traded/sold at a loss or maybe occasionally driven to the beach.

The sad part is what he could have got for 20k. They needed an unmolested sport or x for 13-15k. Florida is loaded with them.

If it was my neighbor, I’d likely move.

He sure should have taken you with him to look, you are a walking education on these.

That is called knowing nothing and trying to make your girl friend happy. She mentioned she would like to have a Jeep.

The “take it to the mechanic” doesn’t hold water because the average mechanic won’t catch any where near what you did and won’t even think to fix the other issues listed below- they’ll sell him a stabilizer and alignment and say it’s a Jeep.

The low mileage indicates it drives horrible, likely has no caster, vibes and likely the axles are not centered and it has a wonky feel.

It will mostly sit or get traded/sold at a loss or maybe occasionally driven to the beach.

The sad part is what he could have got for 20k. They needed an unmolested sport or x for 13-15k. Florida is loaded with them.

If it was my neighbor, I’d likely move.

He sure should have taken you with him to look, you are a walking education on these.

Most mechanics will look at the Jeep with modifications and not know what to do or what ever they do could make the problems worse.
To take the Jeep to a 4x4 shop will be expensive since more than likely they wont repair what is wrong; they will want to just sell them new parts that will not resolve the problem. It will only add new shiny baubles to the Jeep and the neighbor will walk away smiling not knowing any better.
I should probably ask if the neighbor will allow me to drive the Jeep to further identify problems; really doubt he will....

Reactions: AndyG
Just curious how old is the neighbor and what the guy does for a living?

So interesting that some would buy a vehicle for their gf, pay $20k for an old TJ, and for a daily driver nonetheless.

Just curious how old is the neighbor and what the guy does for a living?

So interesting that some would buy a vehicle for their gf, pay $20k for an old TJ, and for a daily driver nonetheless.

They guy is retired (64+) and presently sings in a band at local bars and clubs a few days a week.
For the money he spent; he would have been able to purchase a nice Rubicon LJ.

Most mechanics will look at the Jeep with modifications and not know what to do or what ever they do could make the problems worse.
To take the Jeep to a 4x4 shop will be expensive since more than likely they wont repair what is wrong; they will want to just sell them new parts that will not resolve the problem. It will only add new shiny baubles to the Jeep and the neighbor will walk away smiling not knowing any better.
I should probably ask if the neighbor will allow me to drive the Jeep to further identify problems; really doubt he will....

Shops are what did that. Listening to shops messed up my 03 when I jumped off the deep end and knew nothing.

Even in my industry, construction, packaged answers like “shluter shower system” are sold as solutions like “long arm kit”. Really knowing how to waterproof a shower, my niche for years, means any material could achieve the right result.

I’ve noticed a trend that is becoming common - manufactures are figuring out that the knowledge is not going to reappear in the workforce so they are replacing that with do all kits- This is the reason so many dropped Pitman arms come in every lift kit and mechanics don’t know not to install them.

That is, in my opinion, a TJ a young guy had and kept at it til he really messed it up and ran out of money.

Last edited:
Reactions: CharlesHS
They guy is retired (64+) and presently sings in a band at local bars and clubs a few days a week.
For the money he spent; he would have been able to purchase a nice Rubicon LJ.

See if he knows the words to “can’t by me love”. Some British band with Paul McCartney did it

I have a 97 TJ , 4.0L, 5 speed, I will sell for half that with a hard top, full doors, half doors, a bimini top, and a wind stopper, and a brand new set of BFG All Terrain 33-10.50-15s......Good frame.290,00 actual miles.

This is sad. The seller knew that Jeep wasn't worth the money, and worse, the buyer didn't have the smarts to do research before dropping $20k on a Jeep that wasn't worth 1/2 what he paid. :(

What is interesting is the Jeep has sat in the neighbors driveway since it's purchase a couple days ago.
The neighbor has not talked to me since I did a walk around the vehicle voicing concerns and explaining what needs to be done.