Neodynium Pinion Angle

1515art

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I’ve been trying to get consistent measurements with everything as equal as possible on my rear driveshaft and rear pinion. So far using a very strong neodymium magnet combined with a socket slightly smaller than the Pinion needle bearing cap has been the easiest to get results I can consistently measure. With the digital protractor zeroed on the driveshaft and the protractor on the needle bearing cap I’m reading 1* below for my pinion angle, am I doing this right or am I missing something?

8E43BAA1-F923-41C8-8E71-756E30E862A3.jpeg

5E978D2B-2FE1-4B66-8994-08097B03CD25.jpeg

C502BD80-166A-47C0-8ED2-37E8C05ECC29.jpeg

That would be 1deg high, not low. Your ds should have a higher reading than the pinion for 1 deg low.

Not sure how you would know that. Should it say negative 1 degree, or 359 degrees? Also, it's mounted upside down, if that matters.
I have the exact angle finder. He has it zeroed out on the ds, which is why it is reading zero at that angle. Then it reads 1 deg when he puts it on his pinion. Thus, his pinion is 1 deg higher than his ds.

Edit: upside down means nothing regarding the reading.

So, if the protractor is angled down (more than the DS), then wouldn't that mean the diff. is pointing up (more than it should)?

Excuse my crude drawing.

diff1.jpg

Last edited:
He zeroed the angle finder out on his DS. So that becomes his reference point. As the angle finder is rotated up or down it will measure deg differences from zero. As it moves up (clockwise) it will read positive degrees (arrow point up) and as it moves down (counter-clockwise) it will read negative degrees (arrow pointing down) with respect to it's zero point (DS).

If the DS and the pinion are in line, it will read zero at both locations. If the pinion reads positive degrees, then it is at a higher angle with respect to the DS. Converse is true regarding negative readings at the pinion.

Last edited:
Everyone thank you for replying, with Both drive shaft and pinion reading zero extending the lower control arms the arrow points down and the opposite when making them shorter so I think it doesn’t matter if it’s up or down as long as both measurements are from the same direction, I also used a 24” carpenters level to check the needle bearing cap was level side to side with the floor as slight differences in that angle affects the reading same as when lining up the angle finder on the driveshaft. So I think it’s reading correctly if the needle bearing cap is the exact same angle as the pinion using the magnet.

just getting back from a test drive I have no vibration until over 65 mph and it feels like that’s in the front, yesterday the pinion was almost a degree up (way I’m measuring if it’s correct) and I was getting some small vibration around 45mph. I believe the vibration now is just coming from the front I can feel just a little rhythmic vibration in the steering wheel not so much from the rear of course it’s difficult to tell exactly my castor is set someplace around +2 to +2.5* The way it handles on the freeway is acceptable for now. I’m in need of shocks and between the aggressive m/s toyo tires and the roads here hard to be 100%

toward the end of next month I’ll have the front hub manual lockers installed and know for sure front or back I’m now just trying to get it so I’m not doing any damage making a run to Arizona on Monday

Last edited:
So, if the protractor is angled down (more than the DS), then wouldn't that mean the diff. is pointing up (more than it should)?

Excuse my crude drawing.

View attachment 200105
Yes. But his protractor is zeroed out at the DS. It is reading negative 1 deg from the DS, which requires counter clockwise movent. Your illustration requires clockwise movement with respect to the reference point (DS).

Last edited:
@LONGJP2 his angle finder increases degrees as it is rotated clockwise and decreases degrees rotated counter. Its max reading is 90 deg if that helps.

Excuse my crude drawing.

View attachment 200105
Your illustration is actually pinion 1 degree up and 10 deg up. Continue your pinion line through the line intersection and the red axis (ds) is the lower and the black axis becomes 1 degree steeper with respect to the red.

No worries. Mine is cruder.
16041899706292484573058089023930.jpg

Last edited: