New AX-15 clutch fork / throwout bearing orientation. Is this correct?

DougyintheBushies

TJ Enthusiast
Hey guys, can someone with experience confirm I have the clutch fork and the throw out bearing installed in the correct orientation?
Thanks

IMG_6223.jpeg

IMG_6222.jpeg

IMG_6224.jpeg

IMG_6224.jpeg

IMG_6223.jpeg

Looks like I got it wrong from these pictures I got the fork backwards.
According to the Advance Adapters tech line, the slots should go towards the driver's side as pictured below. It has been confirmed that people have functioning systems with it reversed, but I prefer to have it the way it is supposed to be. The new system is currently installed and functioning

diagram.png

Slot on driver side.jpg

Looks good to me...but wait for more opinions. I only had mine out seven times and maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

I'm also a little grease happy and that looks awfully clean to me.

-Mac

Reactions: DougyintheBushies
Looks good to me...but wait for more opinions. I only had mine out seven times and maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

I'm also a little grease happy and that looks awfully clean to me.

-Mac

I found on comanche forums that Advanced Adaptors calls the slots on the clutch fork to be on drivers side.
mine is backwards.

Yes I think you have the release lever (fork) backwards, the slot where the T/O bearing retainer goes should point to the right as you look at the front. The way you have it going to the left, when the clutch is depressed and the lever hinges forward on the pivot the clip is going to get jammed up because as the lever hinges forward it angles toward the passenger side, so the retaining clip needs to have room to the driver's side. IMHO of course, but mine was that way on my NV 3550 .

FWIW I always see guys on You Tube fighting with the clip on the pivot trying to put it on when the fork is in place but I discovered it goes on real easy if you place it on the fork first, then just press the fork onto the pivot while holding your thumb on the top of the clip.

Damnit another thing to worry about on my Jeep. While I marked where it was and put it back the same way...who knows if it was done right previous to me. See if I have pictures...grr...50/50 odds I guess and 5k on the clutch and new AX-15 zero issues.

-Mac

Damnit another thing to worry about on my Jeep. While I marked where it was and put it back the same way...who knows if it was done right previous to me. See if I have pictures...grr...50/50 odds I guess and 5k on the clutch and new AX-15 zero issues.

-Mac

It'll probably work fine but the T/O bearing clip might break or fall off. If that happens you're still OK until you remove the slave, then there is nothing holding the fork from rotating and falling out of reach of the slave rod. That's what happened to me and why I pulled it all apart. While it was apart I replaced everything with new.

Last edited:

-Mac

AA says many have installed wrong with no problems but I ain't bout that. lol

The first time I did a clutch I took it apart and didn't realize which way it had been so I didn't know how to put it back. I tried both ways and both worked the same in operation, so I just threw it back together. It really shouldn't matter, though looks like factory has the slots towards the slave.

Well this interesting. Mine is a ‘97 w/ a AX-15 not a 2000 w/ a NV3550 as in the below diagram.
1707506957793.jpeg

But here is a before new clutch (and engine):
1707506918084.jpeg

and after…

1707506879372.jpeg

Looks like I put the fork on backwards🙄 I haven’t noticed any issues in the last 15K miles or so but I wonder if there are any potential problems. At the moment, I have my transfer case out for an Atlas install and it wouldn’t be too hard to pull the trans and fix it….

Well this interesting. Mine is a ‘97 w/ a AX-15 not a 2000 w/ a NV3550 as in the below diagram.
View attachment 499291
View attachment 499290
and after…

View attachment 499287
Looks like I put the fork on backwards🙄 I haven’t noticed any issues in the last 15K miles or so but I wonder if there are any potential problems. At the moment, I have my transfer case out for an Atlas install and it wouldn’t be too hard to pull the trans and fix it….

It shouldn’t make an actual difference. The throw out bearing is still centered either way because it sits on the nubs in the center of the fork. The spring clips are flexible enough in how that attach that the bearing should be able to operate properly no matter what side the slots are on.

If the nubs were off center then it would be a bigger deal and it probably wouldn’t even go together without being right.

View attachment 499291
View attachment 499290
and after…

View attachment 499287

I couldn’t sleep at night.

• Haha
Reactions: Woodrow