New Bumpers

What's that about 'drilling the tub'?

I thought I read somewhere that if you get the rear bumper that has the tire carrier that you have to drill additional holes into the Jeep to mount it. I'll see if I can find the source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought I read somewhere that if you get the rear bumper that has the tire carrier that you have to drill additional holes into the Jeep to mount it. I'll see if I can find the source.

d9985296e8dea1683693d1822c9b8161.jpg

Source found!

I read on another forum that if you have an LJ it is easier to mount, but on a TJ it's best to drop the gas tank so you don't accidentally drill through it.

Tell me how it comes out. I'm interested in that bumper as well. The only thing I'm worried about is the lack of contact points for the tire. I see that the tire rack itself is up against the bumpers on the tailgate, but there is nothing to distribute the weight of the tire. It is all on that single mount. But, I guess that is pretty much true of any tire carrier.

Tell me how it comes out. I'm interested in that bumper as well. The only thing I'm worried about is the lack of contact points for the tire. I see that the tire rack itself is up against the bumpers on the tailgate, but there is nothing to distribute the weight of the tire. It is all on that single mount. But, I guess that is pretty much true of any tire carrier.

I'll be sure to keep y'all updated. It probably won't be until Christmas at the earliest. I got the Jeep in May and I've already done brakes, tires, and a 2in OME lift... so my wallet needs some therapy before bumpers. It is sad.

When I asked, he said $80 to ship a bumper from Cali to Texas.... so it is still pretty reasonable. I think another thing to consider is protecting/painting the bumper because it comes bare steel.

That is totally reasonable, I am still waiting to hear back. We have a phenomenal powder coat company here in AZ, so I may go that route.

Source found!

I read on another forum that if you have an LJ it is easier to mount, but on a TJ it's best to drop the gas tank so you don't accidentally drill through it.

Gotcha. The reason I asked about 'drilling the tub' is there is no drilling of the tub. You do have to drill four additional holes in the rear cross member, not the tub. It's a pretty straightforward process, though, and I did not drop the gas tank for that. You can tell how far the drill bit would need to go to penetrate the gas tank, and you really don't go anywhere near that deep, especially if you drill the holes in steps using smaller to larger drill bits (or a step bit). I did undo the nuts that hold the gas tank skid to the cross member when it came time to mount the bumper, but did not have to lower the tank more than an inch or so, just the amount it sags once you take loose the nuts holding the skid up. That's to allow you access to the innermost holes you just drilled, in order to fish through the bolts, and tighten the nuts. Really not a big deal.

It would be much easier on an LJ, because the gas tank is further away from the rear of the Jeep, giving you room to work.

FYI, I also purchase frame tie-in brackets to tie the bumper to the frame more securely. Helps if you plan to use the hitch for anything more than a bike rack...I can post some photos if you need to see some.

That is totally reasonable, I am still waiting to hear back. We have a phenomenal powder coat company here in AZ, so I may go that route.
Powder coat would be nice. They were about $200 to do both here where I live. I decided to paint them myself, just so I could touch them up if they got dinged. Already did that once...

Gotcha. The reason I asked about 'drilling the tub' is there is no drilling of the tub. You do have to drill four additional holes in the rear cross member, not the tub. It's a pretty straightforward process, though, and I did not drop the gas tank for that. You can tell how far the drill bit would need to go to penetrate the gas tank, and you really don't go anywhere near that deep, especially if you drill the holes in steps using smaller to larger drill bits (or a step bit). I did undo the nuts that hold the gas tank skid to the cross member when it came time to mount the bumper, but did not have to lower the tank more than an inch or so, just the amount it sags once you take loose the nuts holding the skid up. That's to allow you access to the innermost holes you just drilled, in order to fish through the bolts, and tighten the nuts. Really not a big deal.

It would be much easier on an LJ, because the gas tank is further away from the rear of the Jeep, giving you room to work.

FYI, I also purchase frame tie-in brackets to tie the bumper to the frame more securely. Helps if you plan to use the hitch for anything more than a bike rack...I can post some photos if you need to see some.

Ooh, thanks! [emoji2]