New Exhaust / Muffler Advice for 2005 TJ

MMon_TPA

Hi all,

Newbie here to the forums. I apologize if this has already been discussed, but wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions on a new exhaust, or muffler for the TJ. I am looking for something that is slightly louder than stock with as little drone as possible. Ive been hearing the Flow Master Super 44 is popular, but some of the YouTube videos seem like its extremely loud. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Thanks for the heads up. I heard the 60 series is better for a less aggressive sound/less drone. Looking into that one right now.

The super 44 is louder than you want and drones bad from inside the cab. The Thrush welded is better but still pretty loud and ratty, once it breaks in. I've tried lots of different mufflers and my Banks Monster exhaust sounded good, but my current Flowmaster Delta 40 is noticeably deeper than stock, but zero drone at any speed and not obnoxious is any way. Deeper tone, but nice enough that my brother used one on his TJ while riding his 3 year old around. He's picky about his kid.:)

The super 44 is louder than you want and drones bad from inside the cab. The Thrush welded is better but still fairly loud and ratty, once it breaks in. I've tried lots of different mufflers and my Banks Monster exhaust sounded good, but my current Flowmaster Delta 40 is noticeably deeper than stock, but zero drone at any speed and not obnoxious is any way.
Ok, so the 44 is out. Ill look into the Delta 40. Did you buy a full catback system, or buy the muffler, and have a local exhaust shop fabricate the piping? Also, does it matter what diameter is? Ive seen 2, 2.5, and 3 inch diameter mufflers.

Ok, so the 44 is out. Ill look into the Delta 40. Did you buy a full catback system, or buy the muffler, and have a local exhaust shop fabricate the piping? Also, does it matter what diameter is? Ive seen 2, 2.5, and 3 inch diameter mufflers.
I've used these on 3 of my TJs. I've just replaced the muffler and went with the catback too. If I only need a muffler, that's all I replace. 2.25" diameter is stock. No benefit to going larger.

Unless you really, really want noise, stick with a stock sounding muffler. You're profile isn't filled out, so what engine and year is the Jeep?

Unless you really, really want noise, stick with a stock sounding muffler. You're profile isn't filled out, so what engine and year is the Jeep?
Va tree hugger? I never suspected. No meat either? ;)

p.s Did you keep the stock muffler? Everything else is perfectly upgraded. I'm just jealous.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Irun
I dont care too much about noise, but the piping is all rusted/coated with mud from the previous owner, so I figured I would get something new. It is a 2005 Rocky Mountain Edition with a 4.0 6 cyl. Thoughts?

I plan to replace the Super 44 on my Son's XJ with a Magnaflow like I have on my LJ. The 44 just drones terribly on the interstate.

I plan to replace the Super 44 on my Son's XJ with a Magnaflow like I have on my LJ. The 44 just drones terribly on the interstate.
Thanks for the input. I think at this point the 44 is out. Multiple people have mentioned the drone.
What model of Magnaflow are you planning on getting?

the 44 is cool if you mix your alcohol with race fuel and take selfies of yourself laughing.
if you aren't that person, you wont like it lol

Last edited:
  • Haha

Wat8.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Apparition
I dont care too much about noise, but the piping is all rusted/coated with mud from the previous owner, so I figured I would get something new. It is a 2005 Rocky Mountain Edition with a 4.0 6 cyl. Thoughts?
I've installed two of these recently. One on my Jeep and one on a buddies. You can look at the system diagram to see the other parts. In my case, I used band clamps to connect the pieces. This allows for very easy removal and adjustments.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinf...8RfCisJOXLKeKfQGBAHPgI6F9sn/gUR8wRdj289pzOA==
This is the clamp to connect the muffler to the tailpipe.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015KUF5Y/?tag=wranglerorg-20
20210714_174312-jpg.jpg

20210522_125351-jpg.jpg

Walker is good stuff, they are affordable and pretty quiet in my experience. I'd just buy the muffler online and take it to a local shop and have them burn it in. Muffler shops normally can't beat online prices for the muffler and don't mind installing stuff you buy. Summit Racing has a great website for picking the correct size although I'd bet you can find the exact part number here too.

Anyone have any knowledge about the Flow Master 60 series delta flow? The Flowmaster website specifically recommends it for the Wrangler TJ, and it is on the quieter end of their sound ratings.

https://www.holley.com/products/exh...ed_mufflers/60_series_delta_flow/parts/952462
That would be like a $100 shine on a $3 pair of boots!
Why all the fuss to bring attention that you have a straight six? Just have your favorite muffler shop put on a stock replacement.

honestly... Kid is on to something,, just talk to the shop. they may even be able to hold 2 or 3 up and let you hear the difference lol