New guy with questions

Bob Skelton

Skelly
Supporting Member
Just bought a ‘03 Rubicon, 1st. Jeep. Owner says it has a 6” lift.
1). How can I determine that?
2). If it does have that high of lift, can I install a Currie steering on it w/o a drop pitman?
3). If I lower it back down (I’m youth challenged), does the control arms have to be replaced?

1) measure the front spring as it sits. 12" is stock, everything over is lift

2) don't know

3) depends on the arms and how much you lower it.

Welcome!

1. What CodaMan said; stock spring lengths are 12" front and 8" rear. There are two types of lift, suspension and body. If it has a body lift, there will be puck spacers between the body mounts and the body. That could account for some of the lift, or it may be all suspension lift (i.e. 18" and 14" springs)

2. The drop pitman arm is only beneficial when the frame-side track bar mount has been moved or modified. If you add a drop pitman arm without also moving the frame-side track bar mount down, you will have bump steer. Pictures of the front axle linkages and steering linkages would help give you a better answer!

3. Again pictures would help. There could be a lot of different things going on. It may be an aftermarket longarm suspension lift. Stock linkage looks like this:

Jeep-Control-Arms.jpg

Welcome!

1. What CodaMan said; stock spring lengths are 12" front and 8" rear. There are two types of lift, suspension and body. If it has a body lift, there will be puck spacers between the body mounts and the body. That could account for some of the lift, or it may be all suspension lift (i.e. 18" and 14" springs)

2. The drop pitman arm is only beneficial when the frame-side track bar mount has been moved or modified. If you add a drop pitman arm without also moving the frame-side track bar mount down, you will have bump steer. Pictures of the front axle linkages and steering linkages would help give you a better answer!

3. Again pictures would help. There could be a lot of different things going on. It may be an aftermarket longarm suspension lift. Stock linkage looks like this:

View attachment 221775
Notice the red outline. He drew a weiner.

Back to earth-

03 Rubi- arguably the best year, which is also novel for a first year ever produced.

6" of lift- that brings a litany of headaches.

Definitely post pics...we will respond with all sorts of ideas and feedback , but basically we like to look at jeeps.

Since it's a Rubi, Chris may bump you up to Level 3 membership your first year...his call. Be sure the first pic you post is from the right side, unless you are from Australia.

Also, where is Chattaroy? Do you have camels there? I think a double hump (LJ) camel 🐫 is the best camel. The single hump camels probably get better grass mileage. I bet the saddles aren't interchangeable either.

Notice the red outline. He drew a weiner.

Back to earth-

03 Rubi- arguably the best year, which is also novel for a first year ever produced.

6" of lift- that brings a litany of headaches.

Definitely post pics...we will respond with all sorts of ideas and feedback , but basically we like to look at jeeps.

Since it's a Rubi, Chris may bump you up to Level 3 membership your first year...his call. Be sure the first pic you post is from the right side, unless you are from Australia.

Also, where is Chattaroy? Do you have camels there? I think a double hump (LJ) camel 🐫 is the best camel. The single hump camels probably get better grass mileage. I bet the saddles aren't interchangeable either.
Is there alcohol involved in this post?

Is there alcohol involved in this post?
Nope...I'm really that bored. I actually don't drink anything whatsoever... I haven't in 27-28 years. I did more than my share of it in my early twenties and life just kept getting worse and worse...God woke me up at 26.

While I don't have any vendetta against people doing what they enjoy... I really did end up with a passion for seeing young people do more with their life than I was doing. For some reason we have a phenomenon called extended adolescence in America.

That doesn't do anything at all but slow down the learning curve to survive.... And worry the snot out of parents that know they won't always be there.

Last edited:
Nope...I'm really that bored. I actually don't drink anything whatsoever... I haven't in 27-28 years. I did more than my share of it in my early twenties and life just kept getting worse and worse...God woke me up at 26.

While I don't have any vendetta against people doing what they enjoy... I really did end up with a passion for seeing young people do more with their life than I was doing. For some reason we have a phenomenon called extended adolescence in America.

That doesn't do anything at all but slow down the learning curve to survive.... And worry the snot out of parents that know they won't always be there.
Okay, just checking. So you're naturally funny. :). Good way to be.

Okay, just checking. So you're naturally funny. :). Good way to be.
My brother was absolutely hysterical.... He was very quick-witted and could have been a professional comedian.

He ended up being a workaholic... You mention work and he will get drunk.

It's unbelievable ...he got out of prison and lives with my mother at 59, the great enabler. She basically has him in a mini storage now. He loves it.

We were talking a while back and she said I don't buy him any drugs or alcohol...I told her- I know Mom you buy him everything else,so that frees up his money to do that.

I came close to going the same route, and it really was just from wanting to have fun,not grow up.

I think a sense of humor is extremely important....life gets way too serious at times and we lose perspective. We won't be here in 30-40 years. Our stuff will be rusting in the weeds and in attics, basements and landfills.

That's no excuse to live with reckless abandon, but for heavens' sake we live in the most abundant society that ever lived, and have it easier than people ever had...we have a lot to be happy about. Look around , people don't smile much ...too occupied with the burden of all their prosperity.

Good for you.(y) I wish I was talking to God back in my 20's. I've spent more than enough time in jail and more money than I care to admit on the trouble that stuff has caused me in my earlier years. On a positive note, I just celebrated not being in jail for 10 years. That's a huge accomplishment for me.:cool:

Reactions: AndyG
Good for you.(y) I wish I was talking to God back in my 20's. I've spent more than enough time in jail and more money than I care to admit on the trouble that stuff has caused me in my earlier years. On a positive note, I just celebrated not being in jail for 10 years. That's a huge accomplishment for me.:cool:
Awesome. One night we got out having a good time... I was in a jeep I had actually... And before it was over I was behind bars... And one of the things that really hit me was I was sitting there and I thought man your behavior is so bad they have put you in a cage.

Never again.

Most of the time when our lives suck it's because we suck. Life gets better when we do.

Awesome. One night we got out having a good time... I was in a jeep I had actually... And before it was over I was behind bars... And one of the things that really hit me was I was sitting there and I thought man your behavior is so bad they have put you in a cage.

Never again.

Most of the time when our lives suck it's because we suck. Life gets better when we do.
That is so true! I used to blame the Cops for me being in trouble. Now I support them in every way for what they did to and for me. I eventually woke up. I'm just a slow learner. Being locked up for 3 months at 40 is no picnic. I used to love lifting weights and fighting at bars. Being caged with 30 people who have the same mentality is a whole different ballgame. Not to mention that #WhiteLivesDon'tMatter when locked up.

Last edited:
That is so true! I used to blame the Cops for me being in trouble. Now I support them in every way for what they did to and for me. I eventually woke up.
My mother is a real friendly nice middle-class woman... One night my brother got arrested and before the night was out she was on the phone cussing out the dispatcher... My brother was about 20 something at the time... I knew right then we had a huge huge problem in my family and it's been nothing but pitiful to stand by and watch my brother steadily destroy his life. If you walked up to us on the street you would never in a million years believe we came out of the same home.

My mother to this day is trying to find people to fix his problems.. Mom I hate to tell you but he doesn't have any problems... You do mom, you're handling all of them for him... He's having a great time.

A long time ago she should have backed off and start letting him have some problems.

My mother is a real friendly nice middle-class woman... One night my brother got arrested and before the night was out she was on the phone cussing out the dispatcher... My brother was about 20 something at the time... I knew right then we had a huge huge problem in my family and it's been nothing but pitiful to stand by and watch my brother steadily destroy his life. If you walked up to us on the street you would never in a million years believe we came out of the same home.

My mother to this day is trying to find people to fix his problems.. Mom I hate to tell you but he doesn't have any problems... You do mom, you're handling all of them for him... He's having a great time.

A long time ago she should have backed off and start letting him have some problems.
Damn! I'm your brother and you are mine. My brother has lots of money, been with the same girl since he was 15, neither ever did drugs or drank because her dad died at 57 from drinking. I lost my mom a few years back from Alzheimer's, after taking care of her for 5 years myself. That was by far the worst thing I've ever dealt with.