New guy

Knipps

I just bought my first ever Jeep. Wife wanted a fun summer car and I want my kids to learn how to drive stick. So, here’s my question. I picked up a 2006 wrangler x with 100k, 6 speed and a 4.0l soft top with half doors. Drove it home without any problems (some130miles) it does have oversized tires so speeds up over 65 seemed a bit Sharkey. Should this be a concern or is that kind of status quo ( I didn’t buy it to get out on the highway will just be a local pavement pounder)?? What are some of the things I could/should change or replace? Any things you guys experienced that I can learn from. Thanks Jim

I always start with basics. Tune up and change all fluids. Engine, transmission, transfer case, coolant , axles and don’t forget brake fluid flush (Yes it should be done too).

Do you mean shakey? If so start with the basics tire balance and tire pressure. Go over the front end looking for loose, missing or damaged parts. Post some pics of the front end here and we can dissect it for you...and just fyi there's no reason for it not to drive nicely because its a jeep..mine will go 75mph with 1 finger on the wheel

It’s not a car and will not drive like one. It’s has a short wheel base and is top heavy. Other than that they are a blast to drive especially with the top down and half doors.
I’ve taught multiple kids how to drive a manual with mine. Find an open dirt area and put it in 4lo. They will have a hard time killing the engine and the speed will be low enough that they will not be scared. You can just turn off the ignition if things go wonky.

Yes I means shakey (damn auto correct). I will post some pics when I get a chance to. Thanks for the quick replies

Not familiar at all with the 4.0l. Is it easy to service plugs, wires etc. probably could have done a bit more research on that aspect but rumor is the 4.0 is a great motor.

Reactions: Gollywomper
Not familiar at all with the 4.0l. Is it easy to service plugs, wires etc. probably could have done a bit more research on that aspect but rumor is the 4.0 is a great motor.
plugs are easy do a search here and buy the recommended ones for your engine. You don't have plug wires. IMHO the 4.0 is a great engine

If it's shaky or has steering wheel shimmy at 60+, odds are good the tires just need to be balanced better. Yes the 4.0 is a superb engine. Good long lasting spark plugs include the Autolite iridium XP-985 (good for something like 200k miles), or 100k mile platinum plugs including the Autolite APP-985 and Champion 7412. Your engine is very picky on the type of spark plugs so do don't let an auto parts guide or store salesman push you into single-tipped platinum plugs like the Autolite AP-985 or Champion 7034 which won't work well with the type of ignition your 2006 model has.