New hardtop directly from Mopar?

Jaxon B.

TJ Enthusiast
I was on the Mopar website to look for some parts (was going to replace the mirrors because the old ones suck and I read you can get them new) and I got curious and started to navigate the webiste. I found this hardtop in black directly new from Mopar. Is this even possible? Does only come with the top assembly and nothing else? Missing the things like the rear glass and wiper motor, etc.? I always found it so hard to find hardtops around me, and kind of just threw away the possibility of a new one from Mopar. If I can get it, even if it is on the more expensive side, it would be worth it to me for a factory top.

I was on the Mopar website to look for some parts (was going to replace the mirrors because the old ones suck and I read you can get them new) and I got curious and started to navigate the webiste. I found this hardtop in black directly new from Mopar. Is this even possible? Does only come with the top assembly and nothing else? Missing the things like the rear glass and wiper motor, etc.? I always found it so hard to find hardtops around me, and kind of just threw away the possibility of a new one from Mopar. If I can get it, even if it is on the more expensive side, it would be worth it to me for a factory top.
The only mirrors available (maybe) are the ones they went to in 03. Don't trust a part listed as stock as actually being in stock. Make the purchase, they will refund you quickly if they don't have it.

LOL, no way.

They simply haven't updated their website. Want to make a bet? Call them and ask if they have any in stock.

The majority of OE parts websites do not keep a live update of inventory.

With shipping and tax to my zip, it's just about $1,900. I did find the wiring harness on there also for $190.

At $1,900 get it. You could turn around and easily make a tidy profit (if they actually have it in stock)

LOL, no way.

They simply haven't updated their website. Want to make a bet? Call them and ask if they have any in stock.

The majority of OE parts websites do not keep a live update of inventory.
lol, I'm not going to buy right now since I have nowhere near that kind of money (said it once will say it again, I am a broke highschool student), but I'll see just anyways if they have in stock, would actually be crazy to me.

lol, I'm not going to buy right now since I have nowhere near that kind of money (said it once will say it again, I am a broke highschool student), but I'll see just anyways if they have in stock, would actually be crazy to me.

Yep, I don't ever bother ordering anything from any of these OE parts sites unless I call first. They list tons of stuff as "in stock" when in reality it's been out of stock and discontinued for a long time.

I've found that very few sites keep a live inventory update, Amazon, Walmart, Target, and a few others being the exceptions.

Reactions: Grant Lasson

If you want it - and they actually have it in stock - you better find a way to raise the money and get it RIGHT NOW.

You can always make more money. Once those OEM parts are gone, they are gone.

Even if that would be in stock, that's a ridiculous price and it's not even complete. Your profile says you're in Florida, so you should have plenty of hardtops available in the southeast. Even if you had to drive to Georgia, SC or even NC or Alabama to get a good used complete one you'd save money.

I've found that very few sites keep a live inventory update, Amazon, Walmart, Target, and a few others being the exceptions.

Amazon is about the only one I believe. My wife ended up driving to 4 different Targets last week that all said they had something in stock but didn't. I did the same thing with Walmart in December to get a webcam when my kid's school went virtual for the first time and I didn't realize we didn't have one until the day before.

I don't know if it's COVID or just holiday sales, but the stores are putting it in their phone greeting that they won't check inventory over the phone, so you have no choice but to just go and look for yourself, which honestly is what I end up doing most of the time anyway because in a store like that I don't trust the teenager on the phone not to just put it down on the table for a couple minutes and then pick it back up and give me a BS answer.

Reactions: Chris
Amazon is about the only one I believe. My wife ended up driving to 4 different Targets last week that all said they had something in stock but didn't. I did the same thing with Walmart in December to get a webcam when my kid's school went virtual for the first time and I didn't realize we didn't have one until the day before.

I don't know if it's COVID or just holiday sales, but the stores are putting it in their phone greeting that they won't check inventory over the phone, so you have no choice but to just go and look for yourself, which honestly is what I end up doing most of the time anyway because in a store like that I don't trust the teenager on the phone not to just put it down on the table for a couple minutes and then pick it back up and give me a BS answer.
I rarely ever buy from Walmart or Target, so I’m sure your right. So far though Amazon has never been wrong with their inventory count. Well, not for me at least.

I rarely ever buy from Walmart or Target, so I’m sure your right. So far though Amazon has never been wrong with their inventory count. Well, not for me at least.

It's no wonder they're taking over the world, they have their stuff together.

That's about the only prediction the movie Idiocracy got wrong, is it'll be Amazon, not Costco.

Reactions: B252
It's no wonder they're taking over the world, they have their stuff together.

That's about the only prediction the movie Idiocracy got wrong, is it'll be Amazon, not Costco.
Yep, you’re right. It’s hard to beat the convenience factor, I’ll say that.

Back in 2010, I got on one of those Mopar parts websites and was looking for a new frame. One site listed it at $1,200.00 and I started the process to purchase it. They actually did have it but the price went up considerably. I did actually purchase it and with shipping and tax, it was $2,200.00. I believe I was one of the last to get a NOS frame from Mopar as a few of my friends tried soon afterwards and they were denied even though the site still said it was in stock. Point is; you never know until you look further.

BTW, the picture on my avatar was the first run after I replaced my frame, motor, and new TNT front fenders. Everyone got to see my new frame. LOL.

Even if that would be in stock, that's a ridiculous price and it's not even complete. Your profile says you're in Florida, so you should have plenty of hardtops available in the southeast. Even if you had to drive to Georgia, SC or even NC or Alabama to get a good used complete one you'd save money.
I live in South Florida, by Miami, and all-fabled craigslist is dead empty in this area for hardtops, I would probably have to reserve a weekend to go to Georgia or SC or one of those northern states since it is like 10 hours to reach the border for me, though I am kind of considering the big price tag mainly because it's a new OEM top
1609957621353.png

All of the stuff available is for the JK, lol

Last edited:
Reactions: MountaineerTom
I live in South Florida, by Miami, and all-fabled craigslist is dead empty in this area for hardtops, I would probably have to reserve a weekend to go to Georgia or SC or one of those northern states since it is like 10 hours to reach the border for me, though I am kind of considering the big price tag mainly because it's a new OEM top
View attachment 216003
All of the stuff available is for the JK, lol

Try searching only the auto parts section of your local CL for "jeep top". Actually read the relevant ads, and you'll see a tan TJ top for $1100. The listing was posted 23 days ago and updated yesterday.

Try searching only the auto parts section of your local CL for "jeep top". Actually read the relevant ads, and you'll see a tan TJ top for $1100. The listing was posted 23 days ago and updated yesterday.
Couldn't find it, but I found this absolute monstrosity. 4-door '98
1610132768551.png

I dub it the sLJ, short for Super Long Jeep

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: randy328