New hub not sliding onto new axle spline

DaYooperTransplant

97 Sport
Supporting Member
New Crown passenger front axle and new Timken hub bearing. The hub will engage and go on maybe a 1/2” but then stops. I used a rubber mallet but don’t want to get it jammed on there and not get it off. The old stub slides in no problem.
Do I have a bad axle? Or is it normally tight? Had no problems with the drivers side but I didn’t replace that axle, just the hub. Reason I replaced the passenger side is because I dorked up an ear pressing out the U Joint. 😒
I know, I know…. But it worked so well on the drivers side.

Any help is much appreciated.

F86FDC6D-FA9D-436F-9181-B825EF0ACF39.jpeg

E7C52F04-ACBD-4795-AD5C-ECBF95FEA5EE.jpeg

F42CF429-DC9D-4B92-806F-80205C306438.jpeg

Count the number of splines on the new axle stub and compare the shape of the splines on the one that fits vs the one that doesn't.
IF the old stub fits; then the new stub should fit unless there is a burr in the splines or the shape of the splines are different.

Both at 27 and nothing stands out with a visual look. So are there 27 spline axles that have different shaped splines? That would suck.
I don’t see any burr’s either.

Mine was tight, I assume the reason the OEM one wasn't was due to age and wear. Tapping it with a deadblow made it sit nicely (hopefully I don't need to separate the hub from the shaft any time soon though...)

Reactions: DaYooperTransplant