New Jimmy from Suzuki

The reason the import trucks don't get here is due to a massive 25% import duty on light trucks. The first Transit Vans from Italy? came in with rear seats so they would be classed as passenger vehicles, the seats were shredded after clearing customs and sold as commercial vans.

Reactions: Wildman
They play those games everywhere. My first Jimny had this laughable "back seat" that my 3 yr old couldn't even sit it. It was purely there for "road tax" reasons. I threw it away and when I went to do my biannual inspection, they said I needed the seat installed or I would have to pay for it like it was a pick up truck. I borrowed one from my buddy for the day. So stupid.

On that note, Jimnys are built to the Kei car standard in Japan which is essentially a special tax designation for mini-cars. There are certain dimensions, engine size/power restrictions, and weight restrictions. They had a version they sold there which had slightly wider axles, fender flares, and a monstrous 1.3L 4 banger which is the "big" version and not a Kei car. That's what we got in the States labeled as a Samurai.

I used to go out wheeling with a guy that had an old Sammy. It had a rear locker and spring over lift on 31's, I was in my 99 Sahara(Jeep I owned at the time.), totally stock. And that Sammy ran circles around me. They are totally under rated.
This is my Samurai I have now that I use for hunting. 1988 with spring over lift, 31" tires, locker in the rear with power steering added. Fold down windshield kit.

IMG_20180625_173741188.jpg

Don't think it is. Guy in my town bought a brand new TVR Tuscan years ago. It was registered in PA. Right hand drive too.
I'm not saying it's the only way. I am saying anything 25 years old or older doesn't need to meet EPA restrictions or NHTSA restrictions and just needs to meet basic local safety laws. That means no emissions or crash testing needed. That's how people are bringing back all these Skylines you may have started to notice on the roads.

Reactions: Rick Flair
This is my Samurai I have now that I use for hunting. 1988 with spring over lift, 31" tires, locker in the rear with power steering added. Fold down windshield kit.

View attachment 196663
That rig right there is very close to the one I was talking about. That little beauty would be worth a fortune up my way. Major cult following on these rigs, Be honest. It works unbelievably well on the trails.