New member about to buy a jeep.

IMAG0348(1).jpg
IMAG0348(1).jpg Alright everyone. Thanks again for your opinions, very much appreciated. I've moved on from the Rubicon. Now I'm looking at a 2006 jeep wrangler x with 80,000 and the seller is asking 13,000. Please let me know what you think. Carfax is good.

View attachment 6950 View attachment 6950 Alright everyone. Thanks again for your opinions, very much appreciated. I've moved on from the Rubicon. Now I'm looking at a 2006 jeep wrangler x with 80,000 and the seller is asking 13,000. Please let me know what you think. Carfax is good.

It looks clean from those photos, but again, we would have to see much higher resolution photos to give you any sort of real consensus.

Underside photos are especially important.

Reactions: Ron505
I agree. For the most part posting photos from a seller's ad is useless, as they will focus on the good and not the bad. We cannot stress this enough, you have to get under the Jeep and look at the frame.

Regarding buying a lifted Jeep, I disagree as well. Mine had a three inch lift and street tires when I bought it. After a thorough inspection, it doesn't look like the Jeep was ever off pavement. You need to find the person that most people make fun of, the mall crawler.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
Looks like that one has a long arm lift. I'd definitely check that out very closely too.

Damn, this guy takes really crappy low resolution photos, LOL. I see some rust, but it's so hard to make anything out conclusively with the piss poor lighting.

One of the first things I'd advertise if I ever sold my TJ is the fact that it's rust free. I'd also add lots of photos of my frame in my for sale ad. When guys don't mention anything about being rust free and are hesitant to include photos of their frame, it makes me think they're hiding things.

Now, if it's a local Jeep and you only have to drive 10 minutes to find out it's a dud, no big deal.

However, I WOULD NOT under any circumstance drive 30 minutes or more to look at a Jeep unless the owner sent me high resolution photos of any problem areas, and photos of the frame as well. There's a ton of rust buckets out there, and none of them are worth buying unless you are in the mood for taking on a large scale project.

Reactions: Ron505 and Serbonze
Thanks man. I'm passing on this one too. That long arm lift is suspect because he cant tell me who installed it or what brand it is. Yes those pictures suck. Thank you for your comments. Problem around here is people are asking for 2 to 3000 dollars more than the jeeps are worth and the jeeps that are priced correctly have all been busts!!!

Be patient, the right one will come along. Just be ready to jump, because it will go fast! Took me 8 months.

Reactions: Chris
2-3k more might be worth it if it's a 100% rust free Jeep with some tasteful modifications and no abuse. However, if it's got serious rust on it, it's practically worthless.

When you find that nice rust free example, jump on it fast, because it won't last long!

View attachment 6957 Thanks man. I'm going to look at this 04 with 74000 miles on wednesday.
From the looks of the shocks and transfer case drop, it probably rides pretty rough. Also, if you plan to offroad, you may want to make sure that the spare is mounted on an aftermarket mount. The spare will end up wearing out the hinges, and could buckle the tail gate in some cases.

So still searching. I found this stock 04 jeep rubicon with 113,000 miles. It's not perfect in any aspect but it's rust free and I know this because I checked it myself! It's automatic, ac/heat works, hard top, here's the link.

View attachment 6969 http://www.alpinemotorsofraleigh.com/mobile/detail.aspx?vid=1733_V20160729132151

Whoa! Definitely not a stock color for the TJ. That's a factory JK color. It looks really good though as far as the color goes. Link doesn't work though.

Whoa! Definitely not a stock color for the TJ. That's a factory JK color. It looks really good though as far as the color goes. Link doesn't work though.
That's because I bought it!!!! I'll get pics up soon. Question though, I've gotten the nuts off the door hinge bolts but the door isn't budging? I can't find specific 2004 door removal info. Is there a trick I need to learn? Thanks a million!!

That's because I bought it!!!! I'll get pics up soon. Question though, I've gotten the nuts off the door hinge bolts but the door isn't budging? I can't find specific 2004 door removal info. Is there a trick I need to learn? Thanks a million!!

Haha... Have fun getting those doors off. You have to undo the nuts and violently shake them back and forth. They'll come off, but trust me, it takes some serious strength. I finally got mine off after 5 minutes of violently shaking the vehicle back and forth. They finally broke loose.

Reactions: Joprince911
Congrats! Hope it's a real Rubicon! (Fender flares and wheels show it is) Let the mods begin!!!

It took two of us to get my doors off. The previous owners really missed out!

Congrats on the purchase!

Did you run the VIN?
Does it have lockers?
Is it the same color in the engine bay?