New member in GA, need help with VIN plate

mac1279

Hello everyone, I just picked up my first Jeep, a 2006 Unlimited Rubicon.
Went to get an emissions check and found the door jamb sticker missing. PO said it had torn and was coming loose so he pulled it off. We ran the VIN under the windshield and the jeep passed the test. So I got home and started looking at all the various VIN locations. All the stickers are present, but the metal plate that's supposed to be under the driver seat is missing. There is a printed white label inthe floor behind the seat with the VIN. I have attached a photo of where the plate should be - its completely clean, no outline of where a plate ever sat. The dimples for screw holes just have a bit of corrosion in them.
Did Jeep do away with these plates by 2006, relying only on stickers and labels or is it weird that my plate is missing?
Thanks!

20240622_234511.jpg

I just remembered I have an endoscope. Poked it thru one of the holes and found the rivet location dimples have never been drilled.

IMG_20240623_003904.jpg

Reactions: Rickyd
Nice looking Jeep.

Couple of things to be aware of on an 06.

The PCM, especially on the ATs, is problematic. However there is a vendor that is supplying an improved version. i had to replace the PCM on my MT as well.

The OPDA is also an issue. I would pull and inspect at some point if it is the OEM. If it starts making a noise, it needs to be pulled ASAP.

Nice looking Jeep.

Couple of things to be aware of on an 06.

The PCM, especially on the ATs, is problematic. However there is a vendor that is supplying an improved version. i had to replace the PCM on my MT as well.

The OPDA is also an issue. I would pull and inspect at some point if it is the OEM. If it starts making a noise, it needs to be pulled ASAP.

Thank you! I love it, but It needs an intense cleaning.
I did some research and found out about that potential PCM issue. For less that a $700 repair, I figured it was an ok gamble.
Previous owner experienced the OPDA issue a while back. Said he recognized it immediately, shut it down, and had a mobile mechanic come to his house and do the replacement.
If that were not the case I'd have definitely swapped it proactively.
I'm ocd about preventative maintenance.

Reactions: JKP