New Mod, New Rattle

I dont understand how a complete system could cost only $250 when a full system, Crown or Magnaflow (up front with the three cats) plus the cat-back piece runs over a grand. You could save a couple bucks by getting a cheap front exhaust, say $700 all-in, but that $250 seems abnormally low.

I went to my local exhaust shop for tips, and they wanted $150 just to fabricate me two tips. I even called a known Audi exhaust shop, 42 draft designs, and they wanted over $100 for two tips.
I utilize a one-man shop that will put pseudo-dual exhaust on my six cylinder Ramblers (single inlet, dual outlet) for $200, from the manifold to the tips. Cash price, no receipt, handshake warranty. Been doing it for years. For $250, I got a true dual exhaust system on a V8 Matador wagon, which included "losing" the dual cats. Point is, anything is possible with the right approach. ;)

Reactions: TJ2
I dont understand how a complete system could cost only $250 when a full system, Crown or Magnaflow (up front with the three cats) plus the cat-back piece runs over a grand. You could save a couple bucks by getting a cheap front exhaust, say $700 all-in, but that $250 seems abnormally low.

I went to my local exhaust shop for tips, and they wanted $150 just to fabricate me two tips. I even called a known Audi exhaust shop, 42 draft designs, and they wanted over $100 for two tips.

I've had the exhaust done on both of my TJs and each time was never charged more than $250. The third cat under the vehicle can be removed as it doesn't have any effect over check engine lights. That eliminates the cost of a new cat (which is expensive). From there all you're talking about is basic piping and a muffler. You can pay more money for a tip, but I always just have them use a piece of pipe for the tip and angle it slightly down. The last thing I want is an ugly chrome tip or something like that.

I want to say that @Jerry Bransford had his exhaust done for a similar price as well.

Those "bolt-on" kits might be using stainless steel piping (which ads to the cost) which is nice, but not necessary by any means. In addition, they are usually have chrome plated mufflers, nice tips etc. Nice, but a bit too nice for a TJ. Not to mention they're charging for the name and the fact that it's a "kit".

I've had the exhaust done on both of my TJs and each time was never charged more than $250. The third cat under the vehicle can be removed as it doesn't have any effect over check engine lights. That eliminates the cost of a new cat (which is expensive). From there all you're talking about is basic piping and a muffler. You can pay more money for a tip, but I always just have them use a piece of pipe for the tip and angle it slightly down. The last thing I want is an ugly chrome tip or something like that.

I want to say that @Jerry Bransford had his exhaust done for a similar price as well.

Those "bolt-on" kits might be using stainless steel piping (which ads to the cost) which is nice, but not necessary by any means. In addition, they are usually have chrome plated mufflers, nice tips etc. Nice, but a bit too nice for a TJ. Not to mention they're charging for the name and the fact that it's a "kit".

Are you saying that for about $250 you got these two parts, excluding the 3rd cat? So the front two cats were included in your price?

I agree with your taste as well, so I think we are on the same page with no oversized chrome exhaust tip. I put a new exhaust on my Audi and absolutely hated the oversized chrome tips, so I ordered smaller black tips. Audi is black and makes the tips seem hidden.

But curious to know of that $250 got both of these minus the 3rd cat? Not that I approve this combo, just an example.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/51410_1012.htm

https://www.quadratec.com/products/17613_1231_07.htm

Are you saying that for about $250 you got these two parts, excluding the 3rd cat? So the front two cats were included in your price?

I agree with your taste as well, so I think we are on the same page with no oversized chrome exhaust tip. I put a new exhaust on my Audi and absolutely hated the oversized chrome tips, so I ordered smaller black tips. Audi is black and makes the tips seem hidden.

But curious to know of that $250 got both of these minus the 3rd cat? Not that I approve this combo, just an example.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/51410_1012.htm

https://www.quadratec.com/products/17613_1231_07.htm

No, I'm talking about cat-back exhausts.

When most people want a bolt-on exhaust, they want to buy something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VL22OA/?tag=wranglerorg-20

That's not worth anywhere near that amount. An exhaust shop can build you that for $250 or less, no joke. In my case, they even went as far as removing the third cat and putting pipe in it's place, so everything up until the pre-cats.

I don't think anyone sells a complete exhaust system from the headers to the tip for $500 off-the-shelf... not that I've ever seen at least.

Reactions: skrelnik
No, I'm talking about cat-back exhausts.

When most people want a bolt-on exhaust, they want to buy something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VL22OA/?tag=wranglerorg-20

That's not worth anywhere near that amount. An exhaust shop can build you that for $250 or less, no joke. In my case, they even went as far as removing the third cat and putting pipe in it's place, so everything up until the pre-cats.

I don't think anyone sells a complete exhaust system from the headers to the tip for $500 off-the-shelf... not that I've ever seen at least.

That's makes complete sense, but for me, I would rather go with one of the aftermarket rear exhaust systems priced in the $200 - $300 range, like Banks or the Borla Mopar OEM one (409 stainless steel version). As you posted, the more expensive ones in the $500 are not overpriced as much as they are overkill for our usage. They are generally made from 304 stainless, like the $500 Borla version (Borla has both 304 and 409 systems), so it does warrant a price increase, but again, overkill and probably unnecessary for us as you and @Squatch posted.

Plus, if we buy aftermarket from Amazon we can give a credit to the forum, and also have a warranty/return policy with Amazon rather than a local exhaust shop that we randomly seek out.

I'm going to stop by emissions shop to see if I can legally eliminate that 3rd exhaust, but I assume it was put their for a purpose right?

Reactions: Chris
Do you guys running the muffler shop exhaust get more than a couple years ot of them?

They should last as long as any other exhaust. Which I suppose depends on how often you drive, and where you live (i.e., in rust belt states, nothing is going to last as long as out West). I suspect mine will last the life of the vehicle here in Oregon.

Do you guys running the muffler shop exhaust get more than a couple years ot of them?
I've never had to replace one in later years, but as @Chris noted, it'd likely depend on your location (the rust factor). For what it's worth, I did go with a stainless steel cased muffler (Walker) on my wife's XJ.

Reactions: Chris