New Mopar radiator leaking

Camhabib

TJ Enthusiast
Installed a new Mopar radiator a few months ago, along with an entirely new cooling system, that I’ve since put about 100 miles on. I started the Jeep and moved it a few feet and noticed after I parked it, there was a nice little puddle of coolant under the front. Pressure tested everything, and it looks like it’s dripping from the middle of the fan shroud. No leaks on the top or bottom hoses that I can see.

Thoughts? Any other places to check before I order yet another radiator? 98 Sahara w/ 32RH for those wondering.

Radiator cap is a new Stant one with no leaking apparent from around it. I’ve checked both hoses and another pressure test and don’t see leaks from any spot, just magically starts dripping off the shroud.

Off the shroud or near the shroud? If I had to guess it would be the waterpump was not fully sealed due to a little piece of debris on the surface.

Off the shroud or near the shroud? If I had to guess it would be the waterpump was not fully sealed due to a little piece of debris on the surface.
The fan can spray leakage from the water pump area around the engine compartment which can make a leak appear to be coming from nearly anywhere. I agree with the above, the leak very well could be coming from the water pump which can leak through its weep hole once its bushing goes bad, or from where it was sealed to the engine block from the gasket seating surface not having been cleaned well enough.

I appreciate the replies. I would be really surprised if it was the water pump. The pump was replaced with a Mopar at the same time the radiator was and the system hasn't leaked until just yesterday. The block is bone dry, and the drip is actively coming from just one spot on the shroud, with the bottom of the radiator face right above the shroud looking wet as well. I have a hard time believing an Mopar radiator crapped the bed after 100 miles, but the dealership is sending me over a new one free of charge anyways (guess that's the one nice thing about buying OE). I'm going to take the fan and shroud off anyways and see if I can get a better idea of where the leak is coming from. Really just super surprised by this.

I'd suggest doing a pressure test to see where its leaking from but if the dealer is sending a new one I guess you don't need to.

If for some reason you still have a leak after replacement, do a pressure check.

I'd suggest doing a pressure test to see where its leaking from but if the dealer is sending a new one I guess you don't need to.

If for some reason you still have a leak after replacement, do a pressure check.
I did and still couldn't locate where it was leaking from, just that it was dripping from the shroud.

Overflow tank? Mine had a small wear spot in it and when the jeep was running the fan would pull it over and make it drip off the shroud making me think it was the radiator.

So I took the fan and shroud off to get a better look at what’s leaking and there wasn’t a drip after running it to temp and pressure testing it again. Put everything back together again and let it run to temp and again, no leak. Took it for a quick spin (1 miles) and when I got back, it was slowly dripping coolant. There is some weep from around the top hose, so I’m thinking perhaps that’s it. The hose and clamp are both aftermarket, are are the only non-Mopar parts on the system. Anyone have a suggestion for a reliable (and good fitting) hose and clamp for a Mopar radiator?

So I took the fan and shroud off to get a better look at what’s leaking and there wasn’t a drip after running it to temp and pressure testing it again. Put everything back together again and let it run to temp and again, no leak. Took it for a quick spin (1 miles) and when I got back, it was slowly dripping coolant. There is some weep from around the top hose, so I’m thinking perhaps that’s it. The hose and clamp are both aftermarket, are are the only non-Mopar parts on the system. Anyone have a suggestion for a reliable (and good fitting) hose and clamp for a Mopar radiator?
I used Gates hoses when I replaced my radiator, water pump, and hoses recently. So far, so good.

Here is a recent post about part numbers for constant tension hose clamps: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...nstant-tension-hose-clamps.28271/#post-455106

I couldn't find the proper constant tension clamps at the time so I reused the worm drive clamps that a previous owner had put on. I wish I would have had that information sooner!

Reactions: Camhabib
Gates and Goodyear Gatorback hoses are great quality. Use the Mopar OEM constant-tension radiator clamps, don't replace them with those cheap adjustable clamps that can't always keep up with temperature changes.

Reactions: Camhabib
Thank you both. Ordered a Gates hose and the correct constant tension clamp. I had a ring clamp on there because the Mopar ones I had ordered didn’t fit. Fingers crossed the new ones fits and stops the leaking.

Thank you both. Ordered a Gates hose and the correct constant tension clamp. I had a ring clamp on there because the Mopar ones I had ordered didn’t fit. Fingers crossed the new ones fits and stops the leaking.

If the clamp you ordered for the top radiator hose doesn’t fit, let me know. I have an extra #42 clamp I can send you. (y)

Reactions: nk24