New Owner - 2004 Rubicon - Yaak, Montana

ragtop429

Howdy from Yaak, Montana. Way the heck up in the far NW corner of the state. I've been around Jeeps and Wranglers through out my life but never owned one until now. When I first moved up here I had a big ole 2006 Chevy 3500 Duramax that was my baby but it was not a practical vehicle up here in the mountains and snow country. Decided it's time to go ahead and find an older Wrangler for a forest road runabout fun toy.

I started out looking for a YJ because I prefer the simpler, more old-fashioned looks of the interior, as well as the rectangle headlights, but I was open to TJs as well since they are still pretty basic vehicles without all of the excessive modern technology that doesn't interest me. I wanted a Wrangler to do, you know, Jeep things, so I didn't want one that was too nice to use. The used car market is crazy these days, but I think I ended up with a fair deal on a 2004 Rubicon with 109k miles. I didn't want a Rubicon specifically since I don't have any interest in serious off-roading, but the price was right and pickings are slim. Had to take what I could find at a fair price and decent condition.

It's mostly unmodified and stock as far as I can tell except for some suspension upgrades. Mostly just maintenance stuff done by the previous owners, nothing too wild. It looks good at a distance, but up close you can tell it was well used as a Jeep should be used. I added the tube bumpers just recently. I did my due diligence before purchasing a TJ and knew to look for frame rust/rot. This one has some rust, but no obvious worrysome rot or flakey scale that I can find inside or out on the frame. A few spots need some attention before it turns serious, but I hope to handle that soon with some sort of rust convertor and coating.

I've put about 400 miles on it so far, including 160 miles of 65-70 MPH highway driving to get home after buying it, and all seems to be in pretty good order for an older vehicle with 109k miles. It's got some "feelings" to it that I'm not sure are typical for how a Wrangler handles and drives, or if something needs work. Gotta get myself more familiar with the suspension and a vehicle with a solid front axle. All my other 4x4 vehicles were large pickups or SUVs with independent front suspension, so this is a whole new world to me.

Don't plan on using it as a winter vehicle. I'd love to, of course, but knowing how these things like to rust and mine has already got a head start, I think it's best if I keep it as a summer time toy so I can prolong the life of the frame as much as possible.

By chance is there anyone else out in this area, within 100 miles or so. I'd like to find someone that enjoys these Jeeps as a hobby to come shoot the sh*t a bit and look it over, teach me a few things specific to a Wrangler/Rubicon to pay attention to. I'm good with the engine/transmission and driveline stuff, but just wonder about the suspension before I drive it too much more. I've looked over the ball joints, tie rods/steering stuff, coil springs and all seems good, but the rest of the suspension is unfamiliar to me.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to having fun with my old Wrangler and getting more familar with it. It's a blast to drive. Wish I would have bought one long ago.

DSC_8317_copy_2784x1856.jpg

IMG_20210706_184107212_HDR_copy_2000x1125.jpg

I had an identical 04 Rubicon before my current 06 LJ Rubicon. There are days where I miss my 04 for sure. Thoroughly enjoyed driving it, i think almost more than my LJR.

04 Rubi 1.jpg

04 Rubi 3.jpg

Reactions: gosborne and Chris
Great looking TJ Rubicon and welcome to the forum! We have number of people on here from Montana so I think you'll meet some of them soon enough.

I will say that I actually prefer the YJ interior over the TJ interior as crazy as that may sound.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vasq
I had an identical 04 Rubicon before my current 06 LJ Rubicon. There are days where I miss my 04 for sure. Thoroughly enjoyed driving it, i think almost more than my LJR.

View attachment 267053

View attachment 267054

View attachment 267053

View attachment 267054
I was never a fan of black vehicles simply because it's a color that doesn't age well. Shows every damned scuff, scratch, dust and dirt. This Rubicon I bought is no exception - It looks well used up close. But heck, I bought a Jeep to use as a Jeep, so in this case I didn't mind. I really like the Sahara with it's green and tan, but I have to say that the monochrome look is really growing on me and I'm liking the all black look a lot. I want to ditch the Moab rims eventually for something darker I don't have to keep clean since my Jeep is going to be used for lots of dirt roads.

Reactions: MaximusLJR06
Great looking TJ Rubicon and welcome to the forum! We have number of people on here from Montana so I think you'll meet some of them soon enough.

I will say that I actually prefer the YJ interior over the TJ interior as crazy as that may sound.
I like both interiors, but there's just something more "Jeepy" and old fashioned about the simpler, long layout of the YJ dash that I really like. And the steering wheel without airbag. Of course, I'd love to have a CJ with those simple classic Jeep looks, but a YJ or TJ was more affordable for me and my TJ still feels like a fun older vehicle to bomb around in.

View attachment 267053

View attachment 267054

I have both an Unlimited and a TJ, and I have more fun driving the TJ.

And, ragtop welcome to the forum. I love Glacier, one of my favorite spots on the planet.

Howdy from Yaak, Montana. Way the heck up in the far NW corner of the state. I've been around Jeeps and Wranglers through out my life but never owned one until now. When I first moved up here I had a big ole 2006 Chevy 3500 Duramax that was my baby but it was not a practical vehicle up here in the mountains and snow country. Decided it's time to go ahead and find an older Wrangler for a forest road runabout fun toy.

I started out looking for a YJ because I prefer the simpler, more old-fashioned looks of the interior, as well as the rectangle headlights, but I was open to TJs as well since they are still pretty basic vehicles without all of the excessive modern technology that doesn't interest me. I wanted a Wrangler to do, you know, Jeep things, so I didn't want one that was too nice to use. The used car market is crazy these days, but I think I ended up with a fair deal on a 2004 Rubicon with 109k miles. I didn't want a Rubicon specifically since I don't have any interest in serious off-roading, but the price was right and pickings are slim. Had to take what I could find at a fair price and decent condition.

It's mostly unmodified and stock as far as I can tell except for some suspension upgrades. Mostly just maintenance stuff done by the previous owners, nothing too wild. It looks good at a distance, but up close you can tell it was well used as a Jeep should be used. I added the tube bumpers just recently. I did my due diligence before purchasing a TJ and knew to look for frame rust/rot. This one has some rust, but no obvious worrysome rot or flakey scale that I can find inside or out on the frame. A few spots need some attention before it turns serious, but I hope to handle that soon with some sort of rust convertor and coating.

I've put about 400 miles on it so far, including 160 miles of 65-70 MPH highway driving to get home after buying it, and all seems to be in pretty good order for an older vehicle with 109k miles. It's got some "feelings" to it that I'm not sure are typical for how a Wrangler handles and drives, or if something needs work. Gotta get myself more familiar with the suspension and a vehicle with a solid front axle. All my other 4x4 vehicles were large pickups or SUVs with independent front suspension, so this is a whole new world to me.

Don't plan on using it as a winter vehicle. I'd love to, of course, but knowing how these things like to rust and mine has already got a head start, I think it's best if I keep it as a summer time toy so I can prolong the life of the frame as much as possible.

By chance is there anyone else out in this area, within 100 miles or so. I'd like to find someone that enjoys these Jeeps as a hobby to come shoot the sh*t a bit and look it over, teach me a few things specific to a Wrangler/Rubicon to pay attention to. I'm good with the engine/transmission and driveline stuff, but just wonder about the suspension before I drive it too much more. I've looked over the ball joints, tie rods/steering stuff, coil springs and all seems good, but the rest of the suspension is unfamiliar to me.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to having fun with my old Wrangler and getting more familar with it. It's a blast to drive. Wish I would have bought one long ago.

View attachment 267051

View attachment 267052
Great looking Jeep. I'm from Columbia Falls, Mt. I've done lots of camping near Troy and Yaak.

Welcome to the forum! All-black 03 Sahara over here.

Totally agree on switching to black wheels. ;)