New Rubicon, what would you do with it?

Automotive designers look to their suppliers for much of their information, they rely on their lubricant suppliers for what lubricants to run. It's my personal opinion that their lubricant rep had no clue that gears have been shown to run cooler when lubricated with a conventional gear lube and just recommended what he was taught to recommend. That's my theory and I'm sticking with it.
As long as its your theory, and people accept it as such. It is not a fact.

I'm aware that the gears run cooler with conventional I don't want to debate that. But does the Rubicon locker or LSD component require synthetic for their function?

Where did you find this? Iirc Currie sells and recommends GL-6. I can double check the case of oil in my garage but I'm 99% sure it's GL-6.
That the GL-6 spec has been obsolete for years is easily confirmed with Google. Like at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear_oil

"API Category GL-6 (inactive) designates the type of service characteristic of gears designed with a very high pinion offset. Such designs typically require (gear) score protection in excess of that provided by API GL-5 gear oils. The original API GL-6 test equipment is obsolete."

GL-6 hasn't been made in years, GL-5 was determined to still be up to the job.

Last edited:
That the GL-6 spec has been obsolete for years is easily confirmed with Google. Like at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear_oil

"API Category GL-6 (inactive[3]) designates the type of service characteristic of gears designed with a very high pinion offset. Such designs typically require (gear) score protection in excess of that provided by API GL-5 gear oils. The original API GL-6 test equipment is obsolete."

Are you saying that the oil Currie is selling is GL-5 in a GL-6 labeled container?

Are you saying that the oil Currie is selling is GL-5 in a GL-6 labeled container?
Not at all. They might still have quantities of it remaining. GL-6 just has not been manufactured in years. The GL-6 specification is simply inactive and obsolete.

If you don't believe me all you have to do is Google whether GL-6 is obsolete or not.

Last edited:
Congrats on the Jeep. It looks good. Two things you should know. Your wife will probably want to make the Jeep her car. Also, JEEP stands for Just Empty Every Pocket. :)

My jeep is a 2004

It came with all of the equipment and mods you see. My tires are 33x12.5 and my lift is 4". I spent some time early correcting driveability problems. My issues were the crappy Skyjacker track bar on the front, and tires that needed to be trued. I changed all of my fluids, including flushing the brake fluid. The biggest expenditures for me has been replacing the drive shafts. The front started making noise while I was on a trip and I found a place in Reno that fixed that. The back was replaced more as a preventative measure. The existing driveshafts were stock. The new ones have double cardan joints at the transfer case. I removed the back seat and installed a Tuffy box. Now I don't have people asking to ride, and I have secure storage. I bought a couple of things from Quadratech early which means I get regular catalog deliveries from them. The catalog always sets me dreaming. It's not Victoria Secret, but it's not bad.

My jeep has 61,000 miles on the Odometer plus some tow time. I have some big summer plans in a place far away, so I am considering changing the axle u-joints, ball joints, and front wheel bearings. I'd like to eventually replace the Skyjacker control arms with Currie arms. The Skyjacker stuff has been functional, so I am pushing that out for a while.

I caught the Jeep bug while motorcycle riding in Colorado. We stayed in a campground with guys from the FMCA Jeep Club. They were riding in the same places we were, and it looked like fun. Best of all, they had windows, heat, AC, storage, and they didn't have to worry about falling over in the turns. My wheeling has been fairly mild. Most of it is in the GA, NC, TN mountains on good forest roads. I did do a little bit of the Kentucky Adventure Tour and some of it was demanding. The KAT has sections labeled hard. The guy that laid the route out isn't kidding. I've jeeped a little out west and loved it. One place i went to before I had a jeep was Idaho, and I want to go back.

I found this forum a couple of weeks ago. This after 2 years of following forums that didn't really fit what I was looking for. The guys and gals here are friendly and knowledgeable. Welcome aboard

Good luck with your jeep.

Last edited:
Congrats on the Jeep. It looks good. Two things you should know. Your wife will probably want to make the Jeep her car. Also, JEEP stands for Just Empty Every Pocket. :)

My jeep is a 2004
View attachment 78576

It came with all of the equipment and mods you see. My tires are 33x12.5 and my lift is 4". I spent some time early correcting driveability problems. My issues were the crappy Skyjacker track bar on the front, and tires that needed to be trued. I changed all of my fluids, including flushing the brake fluid. The biggest expenditures for me has been replacing the drive shafts. The front started making noise while I was on a trip and I found a place in Reno that fixed that. The back was replaced more as a preventative measure. The existing driveshafts were stock. The new ones have double cardan joints at the transfer case. I removed the back seat and installed a Tuffy box. Now I don't have people asking to ride, and I have secure storage. I bought a couple of things from Quadratech early which means I get regular catalog deliveries from them. The catalog always sets me dreaming. It's not Victoria Secret, but it's not bad.

My jeep has 61,000 miles on the Odometer plus some tow time. I have some big summer plans in a place far away, so I am considering changing the axle u-joints, ball joints, and front wheel bearings. I'd like to eventually replace the Skyjacker control arms with Currie arms. The Skyjacker stuff has been functional, so I am pushing that out for a while.

I caught the Jeep bug while motorcycle riding in Colorado. We stayed in a campground with guys from the FMCA Jeep Club. They were riding in the same places we were, and it looked like fun. Best of all, they had windows, heat, AC, storage, and they didn't have to worry about falling over in the turns. My wheeling has been fairly mild. Most of it is in the GA, NC, TN mountains on good forest roads. I did do a little bit of the Kentucky Adventure Tour and some of it was demanding. The KAT has sections labeled hard. The guy that laid the route out isn't kidding. I've jeeped a little out west and loved it. One place i went to before I had a jeep was Idaho, and I want to go back.

I found this forum a couple of weeks ago. This after 2 years of following forums that didn't really fit what I was looking for. The guys and gals here are friendly and knowledgeable. Welcome aboard

Good luck with your jeep.
My 2003 Rubicon had skyjacker stuff on it and it was absolutely terrible to drive.

Any money you spend on quality suspension comes back to you in better handling usually.

Reactions: andy29847
My 2003 Rubicon had skyjacker stuff on it and it was absolutely terrible to drive.
Any money you spend on quality suspension comes back to you in better handling usually.

I totally agree. This is what I started with:
jeep%20front%20trasckbar-XL.jpg

This is with a Currie Track bar, a stock pittman arm, JKS sway bar disconnects, and Currie CorrectLync steering gear.
new%20steering-XL.jpg

They both look OK, but the Currie setup is far superior.

This might not be agreed upon by everyone but I’m a big fan of making sure your inner frame doesn’t rust out over time. TJs didn’t come front the factory with drain holes. (unless you got a new mode one with a manual that were meant to be bolt holes for the auto trans skid) look up drilling drain holes in tj frame for more info but it’s a good preventative thing that can save ya from doing major frame repair later!

Do you have a link/etc with more info on the 'new mode' frames? I searched, but didn't find anything...

Do you have a link/etc with more info on the 'new mode' frames? I searched, but didn't find anything...
03 and newer frames are slightly different where the skid mounts and they had a provision for a crossmember/skid for the auto tranny. With a manual transmission, the factory omitted the crossmember, leaving a big hole right behind the control arm mount that works great as a drain hole. A lot of Auto jeeps that have been lifted do not have this cross member either, as it causes some interference with the front DS...at least that is what I've read.

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
03 and newer frames are slightly different where the skid mounts and they had a provision for a crossmember/skid for the auto tranny. With a manual transmission, the factory omitted the crossmember, leaving a big hole right behind the control arm mount that works great as a drain hole. A lot of Auto jeeps that have been lifted do not have this cross member either, as it causes some interference with the front DS...at least that is what I've read.

100% correct, mines an auto so I took it off. Nice to have drain holes integrated, but if you don’t then drill them!

Interesting. I learned about drain holes recently from one of the threads on this forum. I decided to drill drain holes for my 2004 Rubicon auto. I made my holes through the hole on the control arm mounts. While I was under the jeep, I noticed holes with nutserts in them ~ 6" behind the front control arm mount. It doesn't look like anything has ever been mounted there.

Interesting. I learned about drain holes recently from one of the threads on this forum. I decided to drill drain holes for my 2004 Rubicon auto. I made my holes through the hole on the control arm mounts. While I was under the jeep, I noticed holes with nutserts in them ~ 6" behind the front control arm mount. It doesn't look like anything has ever been mounted there.
That’s where the trans skid is normally mounted, I’ll sell you mine if you want to lol it’s in my garage

I know that what I want to do to MY Rubicon is...

35" tires
4" OME Lift
Regear to 5.38
Replace headlights

That's when I get my big-boy job though. lol

Reactions: 4x4Dan
My 04 is a manual, and I just have the holes...no nutsert. I'd bet you had one at one time. Knock the nutserts out, and viola! More drainage. :)

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat