New SoCal LJ Owner

awall987

Hi All!

I picked up a 2005 LJ last week with 84k miles and some mods already done (see below). Looks like this forum is a good source of info so I thought I'd give a proper intro. I'm new to Wranglers but not Jeeps, as I had a XJ for many years before moving on to my FJ. The LJ is going to be my fun offroading toy that I'll probably also drive to work once a week or so because it's so much fun to drive. I still have the FJ as my daily, but a modded FJ isn't exactly a sensible daily so I might sell that for something else.

This LJ is in very good condition inside and out; the only issue is a rear main seal leak, it's minor so I'm in no rush to fix but would like to take care of it. Already bought my first parts, some relatively cheap LED headlights (that were recommended on this forum) to replace the weak stock ones. Next up is figuring out some secure storage.

Mods:
  • 4.88 gears
  • Rear Eaton electric locker
  • 4" lift
  • 33x12.5 MTs
  • Beefed up tailgate hinges (forget the brand) to hold the spare
  • Sadly no hard top but it does have a Best Top soft top (just put it on except for one pesky zipper in the back, guess I have to wait for a warm sunny day to help stretch it out. The previous owner never really used it so it's been off for years)

Last edited:
Great looking LJ...Welcome to the fun house. Pretty sure allot of the skills you have learnt on your XJ will come in handy on your new baby.

Welcome I’m in so cal as well 👌
You might sell that FJ for more jeep parts 😂

I don't know if I can let it go though...It's a 2011 with 59K miles. Been paid off for a while and never had an issue (knocks on wood). I have a short commute so I don't drive much, but the lack of visibility and the rear half doors are a pain so I'm still on the fence.

Welcome from another newer member. We both got similar LJ's. Yours is just in better shape and more done to it. How are you enjoying it?

Welcome from another newer member. We both got similar LJ's. Yours is just in better shape and more done to it. How are you enjoying it?

Well, I've had it for exactly one week and of course we get a few storms (I mean this is San Diego, what's all this wet stuff from the sky??) so I haven't driven it much since the soft top isn't waterproof yet. But so far I love driving it! :D I've never driven a stock one but I'm guessing the gearing makes a big difference. Now I need to get this thing in the dirt for some real fun.