New Soft Top Recommendations

ChitownKen

Hi, after owning my '03 for the last 13 years, I think it is finally the time to replace the top. I started looking a couple days ago after the Chicago winter and the cargo in the back destroyed my back window. But the packing tape can hold it together for a bit while I look for a replacement.

There seems to be a few good options out there from Best Top, Smittybilt, Rampage, etc. I like the fastback look that a lot of the new popular tops have, but it seems that without some of the factory hardware, or similar hardware, they are more of a pain to completely take off.

Is there a replacement top out there that is easy to take off completely, like the factory top, and has the fastback look and maybe some other features?

Thank you!

Depending on your budget, the primary brand I would look at is Bestop. They are the OEM brand and by this I mean they make the tops that Jeep installs at the factory.

They make a fastback/frameless version called the Trektop NX. It should come with all new hardware which is primarily the header and door surrounds being a frameless design. These tops are not intended to be removed completely. It can be done but mostly feature a front section that can be quickly opened and windows that are removed. The rear passenger section is always covered like a safari top. That is sort of the trade off of the frameless design if you want the fastback look.

Reactions: ChitownKen
I have the Pavement Ends Sprint Top and love it. It utilizes some of the factory hardware, but not all. IMO it doesn’t take any longer than a standard soft top to remove, and just a minute or two longer to put on. A big selling point for me was the fact that I will run it as a bikini top A LOT and that it has the flip back sunrider top.

Great quality and a great price.

https://pavement-ends.com/sprint-to...hield-header-door-surrounds-tailgate-bar.html

Thanks for the replies. The money isn't much of an issue as long as I get exactly what I am looking for. I was looking at the Trektop NX. It is nice but not being able to completely remove it is kind of a deal breaker. Thanks zip04, I didn't see the Pavement Ends tops before. The Sprint Top seems very similar to the BT Trektop NX but hundreds less and it can be completely removed. I was looking at a Smittybilt top that had some nice features. It had a storage pouch for your windows and extra storage pockets above the front seats. Bad things were that you had to buy extra parts and it seemed like a hassle to completely remove. For now I think the Pavement Ends Sprint is my pick. It is listed for 384.99 on Morris 4X4 and everything on the site appears to be 10% off right now.

Keep in mind that the fabric used in the Pavement Ends and Smittybilt tops is substantially thinner and would be significantly noisier on the highway than what you'd get with the better Sailcloth fabric kit.

Just got a best top replace a top sail cloth for my LJ, have to say it fits nicely and is of good quailty, it must be what was on from factory as it has same fit and sound level. Was a bit wrinkly for a week or two but has tightened up nicely. What I really like is my old side windows zipped right in, which is awesome because I have them in for winter, and put them in to go wheeling so I don't scratch the new ones. I got my LJ top for 625.00 if it was the shorter TJ i believe it was 450. If you wanna go all out and it's your DD they have a twill one which is amazing, believe same material Bentley uses, but it was 1200-1300 and my LJ is not my DD, so the sail cloth fit the needed and budget. Just my .02

That's a good point Jerry but the noise isn't much of an issue. It's a DD for my wife now but her commute is only a couple miles of city driving so there isn't much flapping. We do go on a few long trips a year where noise can be an issue. Maybe zip04 can comment on the noise from the Pavement Ends top? Thanks Pzilly, I am still considering Best Top.

That's a good point Jerry but the noise isn't much of an issue. It's a DD for my wife now but her commute is only a couple miles of city driving so there isn't much flapping. We do go on a few long trips a year where noise can be an issue. Maybe zip04 can comment on the noise from the Pavement Ends top? Thanks Pzilly, I am still considering Best Top.

Well, I’m in the middle of driving it cross country. It was pretty noisy in FL where the wind was really strong, but wasn’t bad as I moved through AL, MS, LA, and TX. It is a Jeep though, so I expect the noise. I typically run it with the doors and windows removed 9 months out of the year.

I'm following this thread. I do like the Best Top I just don't know if I want frame or frameless. My main question is, can the fastback top be taken down and back up fairly easy or quickly? Or is the top with a frame the way to go?
Thanks, MOE

I'm following this thread. I do like the Best Top I just don't know if I want frame or frameless. My main question is, can the fastback top be taken down and back up fairly easy or quickly? Or is the top with a frame the way to go?
Thanks, MOE

My fastback can be taken completely off pretty quickly, but I never remove mine. I just utilize the sunrider option when I want the sun on me. It is MUCH easier to flip back the sunrider portion and then close it back up than it ever was to lower and raise the standard soft top.

It really boils down to what you prefer. Do you want the top down so the back seat can get sun as well, or would the safari top/sunrider option work better for you?

If I ever got a fastback type top (though I'm not a fan of the look), it would be the Bestop Trektop NX, for the quality, plus not having those rear straps on the outside of the top. The only thing would be what do you do with the windows when removed? I have a Bestop window roll for my soft top windows, but I don't know if the Trektop windows will fit in that, since they're larger...

If I ever got a fastback type top (though I'm not a fan of the look), it would be the Bestop Trektop NX, for the quality, plus not having those rear straps on the outside of the top. The only thing would be what do you do with the windows when removed? I have a Bestop window roll for my soft top windows, but I don't know if the Trektop windows will fit in that, since they're larger...

Pavement Ends is made by Best Top and doesn’t have the straps on the outside of the windows.

The differences are that the Best Top has an extra bar across the top to keep the top bowed up a little (to keep water from pooling on the roof) and the material is a little thicker. I have the Best Top half door uppers and can’t tell much of a difference, if any.

I went ahead and bought the Pavement Ends top today. I got it from Morris 4X4 at a good price. Too bad it's -20 in Chicago right now. Is it too cold to try to put it on? Lol! I will update you all in a few months when it is warm enough to put it on. :)

I went ahead and bought the Pavement Ends top today. I got it from Morris 4X4 at a good price. Too bad it's -20 in Chicago right now. Is it too cold to try to put it on? Lol! I will update you all in a few months when it is warm enough to put it on. :)
If you try to put it on now, you will have to pick up all the broken pieces...

Good choice on the top. I flipped my top back to the sunrider position and rode for 4 hours on the highway yesterday. It felt great and is sooo easy to do.

Last edited:
Good choice on the top. I flipped my top back to the sunrider position and road for 4 hours on the highway yesterday. It felt great and is sooo easy to do.
If anyone in the San Diego or lower SoCal area wants to trade their OE soft top frame straight across for my OE-design Bestop frame with the Sunrider ability, let me know.