New tires: Goodrich All Terrain TA or Goodyear Duratrac?

Having owned Duratracs and taken them through just about every type of terrain imaginable, I can say with certainty they have to be some of the best performing tires in the world. Seriously... those tires are absolutely excellent!

Reactions: tworley
x2 for Duratracs, currently run them and love them. As @Chris mentioned, I too have taken them through a bit of every type of terrain and have not been disappointed!

Reactions: Chris
x2 for Duratracs, currently run them and love them. As @Chris mentioned, I too have taken them through a bit of every terrain and have not been disappointed!

I was particularly impressed with how they performed in the snow! If only they made a 35" tire (for a 17" wheel) in a C or D load rating.

I was particularly impressed with how they performed in the snow!

I certainly have to agree there! First time I took on deep snow with them just aired down put in in 4L and crawled right on top; had the biggest grin across my face I'm sure :D

Reactions: Chris
I certainly have to agree there! First time I took on deep snow with them just aired down put in in 4L and crawled right on top, had the biggest grin across my face I'm sure :D

Yep! I can't say the same for M/T tires in the snow. The DuraTrac is really the best of both worlds. The only thing I wouldn't feel comfortable taking them on would be really sharp / jagged rocks where you'd need a much stronger sidewall.

Reactions: ElectricWizard
The only thing I wouldn't feel comfortable taking them on would be really sharp / jagged rocks where you'd need a much stronger sidewall.

That too is my only concern. Though it hasn't proven an issue yet, and there's some pretty sharp rock roads up around Mt Hood and Jefferson that I frequent. They certainly aren't ripe for failure like some people make them sound :D

That too is my only concern. Though it hasn't proven an issue yet, and there's some pretty sharp rock roads up around Mt Hood and Jefferson that I frequent. They certainly aren't ripe for failure like some people make them sound :D

No, they will hold up to most of it. It's just when you get down into that desert stuff in Johnson Valley for instance and you start really using your sidewalls to a huge extend (especially when the tires are significantly aired down). Then the sidewalls may become a bigger issue on the Duratracs. However, I never had any issues with mine.

I also don't wheel as hard as some of those guys do... I'm more into the exploring stuff.

No, they will hold up to most of it. It's just when you get down into that desert stuff in Johnson Valley for instance and you start really using your sidewalls to a huge extend (especially when the tires are significantly aired down). Then the sidewalls may become a bigger issue on the Duratracs. However, I never had any issues with mine.

I also don't wheel as hard as some of those guys do... I'm more into the exploring stuff.

Oh I certainly understand that :). When I was researching what tires I wanted that was the issue that kept coming up, which is good to factor in depending on the type of use your Jeep sees, but IMO this isn't a tire I'd consider for more hardcore wheeling in the rocks. Like you I mainly just explore, camp, etc. with my Jeep and find the Duractrac perfect for that. I'm sure people in the past have turned the Duractracs down due to that criticism but in their case it might've been a great tire :)

Last edited:
How's the road volume on the Duratracs? Those are next on my list when the Wrangler MT/Rs wear out since most of my Jeep is road with a lot of mountain passes thrown in and wanting a little snow performance, which the MT/Rs are abysmal at.

How's the road volume on the Duratracs? Those are next on my list when the Wrangler MT/Rs wear out since most of my Jeep is road with a lot of mountain passes thrown in and wanting a little snow performance, which the MT/Rs are abysmal at.

I don't have any numbers but I find the noise to be quite reasonable for the aggressiveness of the tire.

I haven't experienced the MT/Rs first hand, but I find the Duratracs to be much quieter than my buddies TJ with KM2s.

Reactions: rasband
Oh I certainly understand that :). When I was researching what tires I wanted that was the issue that kept coming up, which is good to factor in depending on the type of use your Jeep sees, but IMO this isn't a tire I'd consider for more hardcore wheeling in the rocks. Like you I mainly just explore, camp, etc. with my Jeep and find the Duractrac perfect for that. I'm sure people in the past have turned the Duractracs down due to that criticism but in their case it might've been a great tire :)

Yep, I agree! A true M/T tire is needed when you want to get into the really heavy rock crawling stuff. An A/T tire would quickly show it's weaknesses in that sort of stuff. But up here in the PNW, a good A/T like the Duratrac is undoubtedly the best choice!

I don't have any numbers but I find the noise to be quite reasonable for the aggressiveness of the tire.

I haven't experienced the MT/Rs first hand, but I find the Duratracs to be much quieter than my buddies TJ with KM2s.

The snow performance alone is worth it to me vs my current setup. Noise is just a bonus

Reactions: ElectricWizard
I recommend duratracs, they perform very well for both dd and trail use, here is a pic of 31's with a 3inch lift
20180923_123235.jpg

Reactions: Don Ashcraft
I recommend duratracs, they perform very well for both dd and trail use, here is a pic of 31's with a 3inch lift

Nice! I’m planning to do the 285/75r16 (33”) when I need the tires. Duratrac seems to be the top of the list

Wow! You guys are awesome. But here is what I found out. We do most of our wheelin in the Southern California mountains and I always come back with marks and scratches on the side walls. I really like the look of the Duratracs, but have heard some not so good reviews on their sidewalls. That scares me due to always going through rocks. After much consideration, and your excellent input, I am going to stay with the BFG All Terrain's

Thanks again for all the input.