New to the forum from far north Texas

diggerwolf

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
FNG here. I just bought this 2005 Wrangler X 4.0L six-speed.

I don't really know yet what I want from this Jeep. It's more of a grocery-getter/weekend warrior than anything. Probably 90% of driving will be on pavement.

A high school kid had it previously. I met his dad, seemed to be a real gearhead and took a lot of pride in the work they did together on this Jeep. So far I don't have any complaints about craftsmanship.

However, there are things like LED whips that, as a fifteen-year old boy I might appreciate, but as a 59-year old Boomer I am not as impressed. Also I don't like the LED headlights.

I think the 12.50s stick out too wide and make street driving a little more wobbly. I won't change them immediately, but I read somewhere that 33X10.50s are ideal for the TJ.

I want to get a hard top for the winter. Looks like that won't be much of a challenge to find.

I bought it on Thursday. I plan to take it into Collins Bros Jeep this week for a full inspection. They appear to be a well-known and trusted local source.

Any suggestions/advice appreciated!

2005 Jeep Wrangler X Sport FB pic.jpg

Thanks! Funny but I just found that thread and ordered that Toyota kit before I came back to this thread. My first "mod!"

Reactions: L J
Welcome! Always happy to meet a fellow north Texas jeeper. I'm over in Flower Mound. We have family up in Sherman not too far from you!

Great looking Jeep!

I think the 12.50s stick out too wide and make street driving a little more wobbly. I won't change them immediately, but I read somewhere that 33X10.50s are ideal for the TJ.

Any suggestions/advice appreciated!

For what it’s worth, you appear to have 10” wide wheels. While I’m a big fan of 33x10.50 tires versus 33x12.50, you may be happy with just changing to a 15x8 wheel. If you end up changing to 33x10.50s, you’ll need narrower wheels regardless (7” or 8”).

You could always try the current tires on 15x8 wheels and see if that does the trick for you. If it doesn’t, you’ll already have the appropriate wheels when you buy narrower tires.

For what it’s worth, you appear to have 10” wide wheels. While I’m a big fan of 33x10.50 tires versus 33x12.50, you may be happy with just changing to a 15x8 wheel. If you end up changing to 33x10.50s, you’ll need narrower wheels regardless (7” or 8”).

You could always try the current tires on 15x8 wheels and see if that does the trick for you. If it doesn’t, you’ll already have the appropriate wheels when you buy narrower tires.
I suspect they are 10" wide. I may take one off soon and measure. Thanks for the advice!