New to the Jeep world: What all does my Jeep have?

Millertime62

Lifetime Supporting Member
First time owning a jeep. Always like the wrangler and hoped to own one some day. And once I had the founds, I knew a 05 or 06 Rubicon Unlimited is what I wanted. Only took 2 year. Most of the ones I found near me where rusting bad. And if it was a clean, it would be gone by the time and saw it. But I feel my patience was awarded and by expanding my search area I found an 05 in Alabama. Still trying to figure out everything that has been done to it and identifying part brands. And what else needs or should be done. I did have it aligned once I got it home. It was pulling to the left and had a catch in the steering. Found out that the steering stabilizer body and the clamp on the tie rod where making contact. And now that it is aligned and can hold a straight line down the rode, I have death wobble. Been reading and watching videos on where and how to look for the cause. I'll get it figured out.

So what I know so far

2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
58,873 miles
factory soft top (does have a factory hard top that the previous owner found for it)
Rubicon Express Lift 4" or 4 1/2"
Rock Hard rear bumper/tire carrier
M.O.R.E. motor mount
Gibson Exhaust
AEM Brute Force Intake
1 1/2" body lift
Goodyear Duratrac 315/75R16 tires (no spare)
KMC XD Series wheel
Currie Antirock Sway Bar
Rhino or LineX all of inside tube
TBT bolt in cage (front half)
Warn winch M8000

What I was told

factory gearing
Metalcloak upper and lower control arms, front and rear track bars ( added by previous owner)
Never off road -LOL

I can not figure out what brand front bumper it has but looks heavy. Does not look like a factory drag link and tie rod. Hoping someone says it is Currie Currectlync HD. Looks to have the tummy tuck, gas tank skid with factory rear drive shaft.

Looking forward to hearing from people on this forum and the learning with a new expensive hobby.

Thanks

Resized_2.jpg

Resized_20200625_144355_4659 (2).jpeg

Resized_20200301_151424_792.jpg

Resized_20200301_151624_5445.jpeg

Resized_20200301_150842_7190.jpg

Resized_20200625_144138_7622 (2).jpeg

Resized_20200301_150239_2888.jpeg

I can tell you it has an air intake which does more harm than good, and it also has a dropped pitman arm, which it absolutely should not have (unless there is a dropped track bar bracket, which there isn't).

That is indeed a Currie Currectlync, not sure on the bumper though.

EDIT: I was wrong about the dropped pitman arm, it's stock (a good thing). The small phone screen and bright Arizona sun had me seeing things that weren't there!

Last edited:
Looks like an oe pitman arm to me @Chris

Currie steering

Maybe JCR front bumber? They have something in a similar design.

Extended brake lines (good thing), maybe RE springs.

Good looking Jeep (except for that angry bird bumper/ winch guard) and welcome to this forum.

Does it have actual DW that requires slowing down to almost parked to get it to stop?
First time it happened I just got on state route and was accelerating and was going across a bridge when it started. I had to slow back up to a crawl to get it to stopped. Head Scratchier!!! 2 miles more down the road, going through a turn, hit a bump and it started again. Thought for sure I was going into the ditch. Came to a complete stop this time for it to stop and wipe the sweat off plus to check to see if I soiled myself. It was hard enough holding onto the steering wheel.

I'm fairly new to the area I live now. Know where the grocery stores and restaurants and a few bars are. Don't know where good reliable garage shops are. So I had the jeep dropped off at my home town to get it aligned by someone I know. 1 1/2 hrs away from me. I was planning on parking the old civic at parents and drive the jeep home the weekend I picked it up at the Alignment Shop. After the DW problem showed. I drove the old civic back. That was March 1st. Following weekend I was sick. Then we have the Covid issue. Finally made it back down May 16th and took pictures. And know just finishing up A.I. at work that started on May 24th. Planning on going to parents this weekend to visit and try to find the issue with the jeep.

I have watched many videos on what and how to check some things. Read forums and feel lucky I found this one. Seems to have the most information and plenty of knowledgeable people on here. So any information from the people on here or videos suggestions to watch for help will be greatly appreciated.

I can tell you it has an air intake which does more harm than good, and it also has a dropped pitman arm, which it absolutely should not have (unless there is a dropped track bar bracket, which there isn't).

That is indeed a Currie Currectlync, not sure on the bumper though.

EDIT: I was wrong about the dropped pitman arm, it's stock (a good thing). The small phone screen and bright Arizona sun had me seeing things that weren't there!
Could you enlighten me on why the air intake does more harm than good? Thanks!

It looks nice. If I would have found a Rubicon Unlimited like that with the low miles, I'd have jumped on it. I went to a 1,000 mile search radius and found 2 that disappeared as fast as they were listed in my 6 month search. I am fond of my white unlimited but would have liked it in a Rubicon package. Otherwise they were beat up regular Unlimiteds, had too many miles, or were totally built/diesel conversions and they wanted $30k for them.

They said it was never off-road? Then how did they get all the dings and scratches on the raised transfer case skid? That looks like they drug the bottom over something multiple times. Maybe it was the owner before the last one.

After you check and torque down all the steering linkage points, you could try to rotate the tires front to back and see if the wobble goes away or moves to the rear.

Last edited:
Could you enlighten me on why the air intake does more harm than good? Thanks!

Because you gain no power whatsoever from them, and they allow more particles and contaminants into your engine. Even the Jeep engineers themselves who designed the 4.0 have said that air intakes do nothing on these engines. See this thread: Cold Air Intake FAQ

Because you gain no power whatsoever from them, and they allow more particles and contaminants into your engine. Even the Jeep engineers themselves who designed the 4.0 have said that air intakes do nothing on these engines. See this thread: Cold Air Intake FAQ
Thanks for the information Chris. Knew that the cold air intake is a wast of money. Never had one on any vehicle till I bought this jeep that already had it. I didn't know that the air filter was that bad though.

Thanks for the information Chris. Knew that the cold air intake is a wast of money. Never had one on any vehicle till I bought this jeep that already had it. I didn't know that the air filter was that bad though.

Yep, the aftermarket air filters let lots of crap into your engine, and if you off-road at all, that makes it even worse!

Not to mention there’s no actual power to be gained from going to a K&N style filter anyhow.