New Tool Day

WVJeep304

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I find myself buying a new tool fairly often. I'm sure I'm not alone, so I figured might as well have a thread to post up new tools that follow us home.

Today's addition:

I've been on the search for another multimeter since I let all of the smoke out of mine a couple of months ago. Decided to grab a clamp meter this time, and in my research, kept seeing Kaiweets brought up, and spoken very highly of.

Now I usually shy away from cheap Chinese tools, in particular electronics. But this was looking too good to pass up, especially compared to the cost of similar Fluke and Klein units. Add to that a 50% off coupon on the Amazon listing right now and I had to pull the trigger.

KAIWEETS Smart Digital Clamp Meter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C2CDYKHQ?tag=wranglerorg-20

I've only messed around with it a little bit, but so far I'm impressed. Smart function that automatically detects the needed setting, but also buttons to allow for manually setting the unit. Also has Inrush, non-contact voltage tester, auto-ranging, thermometer along with an attachable thermocouple, and a decent little zipper case. For $27, I figured it was worth a shot, so now we'll see how long it lasts.

MET9gsv.jpg

I bought this battery charger/maintainer back in the summer. I mistakenly left my lights on over the weekend and drained the battery down to something like 2 volts. Tried to do the repair/desulfate thing on it. It didn’t help. It replaced an old Diehard manual charger that I had.

TowerTop 2/15/25 Amp Car Battery Charger, 6V/12V Fully Automatic Smart Battery Maintainer with Engine Start, Auto Desulfator, Battery Repair, Winter Mode, for All Lead-Acid and LiFePO4 Batteries https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B7WLTG9K?tag=wranglerorg-20

IMG_7011.jpeg

I also pick up this little tester. It recommended replacing my old battery as did a test of it at Advance Auto Parts.

FOXWELL BT705 Car Battery Tester 12V 24V, Automotive 100-2000CCA Battery Load Tester Battery Analyzer Digital Charging System Alternator Tester Cold Cranking for Heavy Duty Truck Boat Marine SUV ATV https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ANF1D7U?tag=wranglerorg-20
IMG_7021.jpeg

IMG_7022.jpeg

IMG_7032.jpeg

Gonna refresh my coolant one of these days soon and thought this might make removing the clamps a bit easier. They raised the the price. I ordered mine couple of days ago for $22.
View attachment 491401

View attachment 491402

I've used a set of these before (not this specific brand) and have been meaning to pick up a set. Do you have experience with both kinds? Do you prefer the one you got for a particular reason?

Radiator Hose Clamps Pliers Tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0917J3DBG?tag=wranglerorg-20

I bought this battery charger/maintainer back in the summer. I mistakenly left my lights on over the weekend and drained the battery down to something like 2 volts. Tried to do the repair/desulfate thing on it. It didn’t help. It replaced an old Diehard manual charger that I had.

TowerTop 2/15/25 Amp Car Battery Charger, 6V/12V Fully Automatic Smart Battery Maintainer with Engine Start, Auto Desulfator, Battery Repair, Winter Mode, for All Lead-Acid and LiFePO4 Batteries https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B7WLTG9K?tag=wranglerorg-20

View attachment 491394

I also pick up this little tester. It recommended replacing my old battery as did a test of it at Advance Auto Parts.

FOXWELL BT705 Car Battery Tester 12V 24V, Automotive 100-2000CCA Battery Load Tester Battery Analyzer Digital Charging System Alternator Tester Cold Cranking for Heavy Duty Truck Boat Marine SUV ATV https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ANF1D7U?tag=wranglerorg-20
View attachment 491395

View attachment 491399

View attachment 491396

I'm not familiar with that charger, but I need to pick up a new one. I'm going to have to check that out. I have an old and HEAVY charger from the 60's I got from my grandfather before he died, but it's not working at the moment. I need to find someone that can repair it, but would still like a newer unit around the shop.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I've used a set of these before (not this specific brand) and have been meaning to pick up a set. Do you have experience with both kinds? Do you prefer the one you got for a particular reason?

Radiator Hose Clamps Pliers Tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0917J3DBG?tag=wranglerorg-20

No experience at all. I’ve got a nice set of constant tension clamps that work just okay. Saw these and thought I’d try it. Even my yard equipment have constant tension clamps, and they are a pain to remove and replace. And buying tools is like a woman buying shoes. Can’t have enough 😝

For a seized track bar bolt/bushing

View attachment 492782

I picked up one of those around 2 years ago and haven't regretted it once. I already had the conventional/heavy duty Sawzall, but that Hackzall is much easier to use in a lot of situations.

I also keep the Milwaukee Axe and Milwaukee Torch blades on hand. They've been excellent, though I'd like to try the Diablo blades after everything I've read about them.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:
I picked up one of those around 2 years ago and haven't regretted it once. I already had the conventional/heavy duty Sawzall, but that Hackzaw is much easier to use in a lot of situations.

I also keep the Milwaukee Axe and Milwaukee Torch blades on hand. They've been excellent, though I'd like to try the Diablo blades after everything I've read about them.

Use my hackzall way more than I expected. Works great for cutting up large boxes and styrofoam to fit in my trash and recycle bins too.

I had been looking for a set of pinch clamp pliers for a week or so. Had originally planned on a set of plastic ones, but all the ones I found had poor reviews. At that point, I began looking at the metal ones. They all look like they're made in the same factory but prices were all over the board. I wasn't in a hurry, so I didn't place an order just yet and figured I'd do a little more research first. But then, I found these. I'm in the Amazon Vine program (They send you free items from a specific catalog of products in return for a review) and these popped up on there as I was browsing. I went ahead and pulled the trigger and they were just delivered today. They feel like they're decent quality, but only time will tell how well they're made. I don't need them immediately, so I won't be able to truly test them any time soon, but my initial impression is they're pretty decent. For free, I definitely won't complain.

ClampPliers.jpg

Also very useful for splitting the hip bone and ribcage on a white tail when its time to field dress them!

I use tree pruning blades in my sawzall for that work. They don't clog up with bone. Similar profile to app's folding blade. I've cut up whole cows with my cordless makita that way

Field dress is used loosely in my case...A lot of time we toss the deer into the truck, and dress it back at camp (a farm). We hang em up and let the "Stuff" just fall into a bucket that is hauled out into the woods. Lots easier on the back working like that. The hose is right there for clean up and then We have a walk in cooler they go in for a week after that...