New Truck Discussion

When I bought my 2012 cummins it also came without tow mirrors. I was happy once I finally pieced together a set of factory takeoffs. The little convex mirror is super helpful in any direction in my opinion.

Yeah, I need to get used to them. Cars look big like they're right next to me. Turn and look and I have plenty of room.

Probably good for me because I wear glasses. So bigger is better.

Reactions: Woodrow and tworley
My father in law, who I've never known to drive anything but Chevrolet, just ditched his 2019 Silverado 2500 and got an F250. The Chevy had spent about 30 days in the shop, and the one before that had a big problem before it was even a year old that he just traded it in for the 2019. Pretty sure all of it was warranty stuff but he's a commercial contractor and uses his truck daily, can't be messing around with something that he doesn't know is going to work when he leaves in the morning.

He ended up renting a Ford and a Ram for a week or more each to see what they were like to live with. Don't know what made him go for the Ford.

No idea the nature of the problems it had or how much his experience would influence what I bought, if I were in the market. Just a data point.

Last edited:
Reactions: suicideking
My father in law, who I've never known to drive anything but Chevrolet, just ditched his 2019 Silverado 2500 and got a ln F250. The Chevy had spent about 30 days in the shop, and the one before that had a big problem before it was even a year old that he just traded it in. Pretty sure all of it was warranty stuff but he's a commercial contractor and uses his truck daily, can't be messing around with something that he doesn't know is going to work when he leaves in the morning.

He ended up renting a Ford and a Ram for a week or more each to see what they were like to live with. Don't know what made him go for the Ford.

No idea the nature of the problems it had or how much his experience would influence what I bought, if I were in the market. Just a data point.

One of my coworkers has had a 2024 Silverado 3500 High Country for a little while, it's been back to the dealer several times for many different issues. Mostly build quality and electrical problems.

I finally broke down and took my Superduty in after 2 years 11 months for the first time to have all the recall stuff updated on it before the initial factory warranty ended. It's been a very good truck.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
We rented a 2018ish new Cummins to tow our school's enclosed trailer to competition. For whatever reason Ram sold a 2500 Cummins without tow mirrors. Wasn't an ideal experience.

I have a 2018 Cummins without tow mirrors 😬 It’s fine for me because I hardly ever tow anything. My mirrors are chrome and heated (Laramie package). And power folding. I’m not sure if you can get those features on the moose antlers. But the moose antlers are definitely better with a trailer hooked up.

In other news - I found this interesting. I’m a Mike Morgan fan, so maybe I’m biased. But he seems reasonable and logical.

Also posting in the meme thread but this fits well here

1711471146667.png

• Wow
Reactions: Squatch and DavidBT
I have a 2018 Cummins without tow mirrors 😬 It’s fine for me because I hardly ever tow anything. My mirrors are chrome and heated (Laramie package). And power folding. I’m not sure if you can get those features on the moose antlers. But the moose antlers are definitely better with a trailer hooked up.

In other news - I found this interesting. I’m a Mike Morgan fan, so maybe I’m biased. But he seems reasonable and logical.

My 2018 3500 SLT had power folding tow mirrors. I really liked them. Except for the price of diesel, I wish I had never got rid of it.

Reactions: Granite
Yeah, I need to get used to them. Cars look big like they're right next to me. Turn and look and I have plenty of room.

Probably good for me because I wear glasses. So bigger is better.

I have those mirrors (or the older version of them) on my Dodge tow rig. They work well for towing and I'm glad they flip up and out. But for normal driving, they give better visibility next to the truck when in and down . Sometimes when I'm somewhere I've brought a trailer but not currently hooked up, I'll leave them in tow position out of laziness. Hopefully that won't lead to any solicitations:confused:

One of my coworkers has had a 2024 Silverado 3500 High Country for a little while, it's been back to the dealer several times for many different issues. Mostly build quality and electrical problems.

I finally broke down and took my Superduty in after 2 years 11 months for the first time to have all the recall stuff updated on it before the initial factory warranty ended. It's been a very good truck.

Good to hear it. I grew up in a solidly Ford family - my dad never bought anything Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge because of a car my grandpa bought and returned to the dealership in the 1950s. It was only when I was a teenager when he was trading cars as a hobby did he get a V8 ZJ and I believe that's still the only thing he's ever owned that was in any way associated. :ROFLMAO: Meanwhile, my wife is resistant every time I propose buying a Ford because her dad had an Explorer in the 90s that had problems, and it's taken almost 30 years but he's back around to trying them.

For my case I think at least half of it was the fact that my dad had been work buddies with the guy that went on to own the local Ford dealer, and he always got good deals there.

I've had ~35 vehicles and my 2000 Silverado is literally the first GM I've ever owned. It's been a solid truck. The 2002 F150 felt nicer to me, but reliability speaking, I'm not sure whether I prefer an iffy 4L60E or the potential for spark plugs being spontaneously liberated from the cylinder head.

Reactions: Apparition
I have those mirrors (or the older version of them) on my Dodge tow rig. They work well for towing and I'm glad they flip up and out. But for normal driving, they give better visibility next to the truck when in and down . Sometimes when I'm somewhere I've brought a trailer but not currently hooked up, I'll leave them in tow position out of laziness. Hopefully that won't lead to any solicitations:confused:

Do the mirrors automatically adjust when rotated between tow and normal?

Well now that would be cool. But no, my '08 truck is decidedly low tech.

Something I've always wondered about. In my mind I figured that'd be a reason to leave them up all the time.

If I extend my mirrors I don't need to readjust them but that's not possible on a flip up mirror, everything has to change.

Reactions: Woodrow

I used to carry 4x8 sheets in my GMC Canyon Long Bed like that. It had a nearly 6' bed though so sheets barely hung past my partially lowered tailgate. Of course now in my current GMC I can carry 20 sheets of 4x8 1" plywood and close the tailgate... and keep the flat bed cover down as well :D

I also find it interesting that my 8000lb 2019 GMC Denali HD gets better fuel mileage than so many of the mid sized trucks... I can drive from Seattle to Spokane (over the pass and at 75-80mph) and nearly always average around 20.6 to 21.3mpg :)

Last edited:
  • USA Proud
Reactions: Apparition
Something I've always wondered about. In my mind I figured that'd be a reason to leave them up all the time.

If I extend my mirrors I don't need to readjust them but that's not possible on a flip up mirror, everything has to change.

Having to readjust the mirrors is a mild bother but I guess an advantage of the Dodge set up is that the simplicity of a single pivot MAY be more reliable long term. On the other hand, it IS a Dodge.

Having to readjust the mirrors is a mild bother but I guess an advantage of the Dodge set up is that the simplicity of a single pivot MAY be more reliable long term. On the other hand, it IS a Dodge.

I'm not sure I'd trust a pivot over the extending and retracting arms.

Seems Ram may have agreed

I'm happy with my pull out mirrors... and is that light new to Dodge? My 2019 GMC has em... love them when loading/unloading in the dark.