Newbie needs advice on possible TJ purchase

Mixing brands is just fine. The bad part about Rough Country lifts is the shocks. If you swap the shocks out for something like the Ranchos, then it will ride nicely and you’ll be good to go!

Chris, I know you said that a rough country lift should be fine if I replace the shocks but what about the other components? Seems like I read the springs will probably be fine, but what about everything else? Do they wear out fast (couple years of daily driving)? And if so, would it be very expensive and/difficult to replace them? It seems like around here just about every Jeep for sale has a Rough Country lift...I’d like to have a good idea of what to expect to change down the road, besides the shocks. Or what would be good to change (besides the shocks) just for the sake of better street and/or off-road driveability in addition to the lifespan.

Chris, I know you said that a rough country lift should be fine if I replace the shocks but what about the other components? Seems like I read the springs will probably be fine, but what about everything else? Do they wear out fast (couple years of daily driving)? And if so, would it be very expensive and/difficult to replace them? It seems like around here just about every Jeep for sale has a Rough Country lift...I’d like to have a good idea of what to expect to change down the road, besides the shocks. Or what would be good to change (besides the shocks) just for the sake of better street and/or off-road driveability in addition to the lifespan.

The other crappy component of Rough Country and other lower end lifts is the bushings. They don't use high end bushings like Johnny Joints or Duroflex joints. They typically use poly bushings that don't last nearly as long. This bushings are used on their track bars and control arms.

Reactions: Xposure
The other crappy component of Rough Country and other lower end lifts is the bushings. They don't use high end bushings like Johnny Joints or Duroflex joints. They typically use poly bushings that don't last nearly as long. This bushings are used on their track bars and control arms.

I suppose I could replace the shocks right away which will help with the ride, then at some point in the future replace control arms and track bars as the poly bushings wear out.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I suppose I could replace the shocks right away which will help with the ride, then at some point in the future replace control arms and track bars as the poly bushings wear out.

Doing it piece by piece is what a lot of us do. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever!

Have the frame looked at. Make sure it is square. The salvage title would make me weary but it is very possible this vehicle could have been smoke by hail because of the paint,

Just know this vehicle has some kind of coolant leak it looks like s9 make sure the motor is ok too.

Have the frame looked at. Make sure it is square. The salvage title would make me weary but it is very possible this vehicle could have been smoke by hail because of the paint,

Just know this vehicle has some kind of coolant leak it looks like s9 make sure the motor is ok too.

What did you see regarding possible coolant leak? It’s hard to tell in the pics but in person I can tell the radiator has been replaced. But I’d like to see what your looking at so I can check it out.

Supposedly it was a theft where it was stripped of a lot of parts (hood, doors, top, bumpers, stereo, speakers, was in the process of removing the shocks when they left because one shock was partially removed. At least that’s the story....but I need to investigate further. But let me know what your looking at regarding coolant so I can look into it further.

What did you see regarding possible coolant leak? It’s hard to tell in the pics but in person I can tell the radiator has been replaced. But I’d like to see what your looking at so I can check it out.

Supposedly it was a theft where it was stripped of a lot of parts (hood, doors, top, bumpers, stereo, speakers, was in the process of removing the shocks when they left because one shock was partially removed. At least that’s the story....but I need to investigate further. But let me know what your looking at regarding coolant so I can look into it further.

There is green fluid all over the front of the Jeep. From what I see.

On the steering box etc. did they spill it when they replaced the radiator?

Make sure. Look into the valve cover with a flash light and make sure it doesn’t look crusty, look at the oil is it foamy? While it is running and coming up to temp inspect the whole engine bay for leaks. If you can bring an infra red gun and let the Jeep warm up, shoot the t-stat housing with it once warmed up and see if it is someplace close to 210.

Salvage title would throw me. Be EXTRA careful. I bought my first Cherokee for $400 and chased an engine issue due to overheating and warped cylinders for two months before a mechanic buddy of mine came down and mercifully seized the engine on me. He explained that as the engine heated up the warp,caused the engine to stall. I dumped $500 into that motor before he mercifully killed it.

Not saying this is the case, but extra inspection would have saved me months and $$. Do the homework and you will be thrilled with Jeeping

Last edited: