Kathy

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and a new TJ owner. I'm loving my 2000 wrangler sport but I have tons of questions as it is a fixer upper of sorts. I caught the jeep bug about 5 years ago and am so excited to own my own .
Wondering where the best place is to ask my questions? They range from tire to hitch, to stereo questions and much more:). Thanks
8d7081850f99fccdaaca48186787f278.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BigWheel88
Love your Jeep, red has always been my favorite. I also like that hood decal too!

Welcome! Questions? Ask away. Feel free to search around for common type questions too.

Hi. Well I was just out taking it for a test run after rotating the tires as a first step of trying to lessen the shaking I'm experiencing when driving 70. The tires are 285/75 r 16 which this came stock with 15 inch tires . Also I think they are 8 or 10 ply which a jeep service guy said is too much for the TJ. I don't want to buy new tires if I can make these work . The next thing I was going to try is getting them balanced . It seems a bit better at 50, but still shaking quite a bit at 70. I want this to
Be my commuter jeep 40 miles one way each day, but shaking that long is not enjoyable. Any suggestions are appreciated :)

Tire balance is very important on the TJ. Or should I say, perfect balance. Sounds like you have a typical poor balance job, not the dreaded "death wobble." Take them in and make sure you stress the importance of balancing them perfectly.

Most shops over inflate the tires as well. Try running them at around 26 psi and see how they do.

Reactions: Kathy
Tire balance is very important on the TJ. Or should I say, perfect balance. Sounds like you have a typical poor balance job, not the dreaded "death wobble." Take them in and make sure you stress the importance of balancing them perfectly.

Most shops over inflate the tires as well. Try running them at around 26 psi and see how they do.

I am hoping that's it. Thanks a bunch

I agree with this as well. Get this checked out first, as it's very often the issue.

Welcome aboard! Love Red TJ's. They are fun, aren't they! When they're not acting up!

That's a big tire, and I'm guessing an "E" load or 10 ply tire, so yeah, it will ride rough. Assuming the jeep has a lift of some sort to handle that tire size? Oh, and welcome to just emptying every pocket!

That's a big tire, and I'm guessing an "E" load or 10 ply tire, so yeah, it will ride rough. Assuming the jeep has a lift of some sort to handle that tire size? Oh, and welcome to just emptying every pocket!
Thanks! It's a D load so I think 8 ply. Treadwright is the brand. Generic I'm figuring. It has a 2 inch lift. Do you think that's enough to handle those tires? If the balance doesn't work I'm thinking of getting different tires. Any suggestions? There are 16 inch rims on also. I like a meatier look. Mainly using currently for highway commuting and some off road in gravel pit behind the house .

Thanks! It's a D load so I think 8 ply. Treadwright is the brand. Generic I'm figuring. It has a 2 inch lift. Do you think that's enough to handle those tires? If the balance doesn't work I'm thinking of getting different tires. Any suggestions? There are 16 inch rims on also. I like a meatier look. Mainly using currently for highway commuting and some off road in gravel pit behind the house .

You can't go wrong with the Goodyear Duratrac. It's an amazing AT tire with a MT look.

Reactions: Rob5589 and Kathy
That's basically a 33" tire, so a 2" lift wouldn't quite be enough to clear the fenders, but add a 1" body lift and you'll probably be ok. And like Rob mentioned earlier, try airing down to 26-28psi and get them balanced to zero. A 15" wheel will open up your choices for a load range "C" tire, which is more agreeable with a TJ, fyi.

Reactions: Rob5589
That's basically a 33" tire, so a 2" lift wouldn't quite be enough to clear the fenders, but add a 1" body lift and you'll probably be ok. And like Rob mentioned earlier, try airing down to 26-28psi and get them balanced to zero. A 15" wheel will open up your choices for a load range "C" tire, which is more agreeable with a TJ, fyi.
It might have a 3 inch lift because the tires do clear. If I turn sharp there is some rubbing however. So new rims and tires might be in my future:). I'm glad I got the jeep for a steal so emptying the pockets now doesn't hurt as bad and I can make it my own. But first I need to fix the immediate needs. Thank you so much for your help.

It might have a 3 inch lift because the tires do clear. If I turn sharp there is some rubbing however. So new rims and tires might be in my future:). I'm glad I got the jeep for a steal so emptying the pockets now doesn't hurt as bad and I can make it my own. But first I need to fix the immediate needs. Thank you so much for your help.
Can you not get a class c tire for a 16 inch rim? Do you think the consensus is I should have 15 inch rims if I'm going to invest in new tires? Thanks