Can you not get a class c tire for a 16 inch rim? Do you think the consensus is I should have 15 inch rims if I'm going to invest in new tires? Thanks
You can but choices are limited. I believe Chris has 16s for his Duratracs

Reactions: Kathy
Your profile states different shocks. Is that 4 different shocks?. If you decide to get new shocks I would recommend Rancho RS5000X. I have a 4" lift and 33s(BFG KO2s) and do 30 miles one way all week. Smooth riding.

Reactions: JP98 and Rob5589
Can you not get a class c tire for a 16 inch rim? Do you think the consensus is I should have 15 inch rims if I'm going to invest in new tires? Thanks
I went back and looked and it had a 3 inch spacer lift and new shocks that were put in shortly before he sold it. So based on that I think I should be able to put a 33 inch class C tire on it and be ok . Thanks again for your feedback .

Your profile states different shocks. Is that 4 different shocks?. If you decide to get new shocks I would recommend Rancho RS5000X. I have a 4" lift and 33s(BFG KO2s) and do 30 miles one way all week. Smooth riding.
There are 4 new shocks but don't see a name on them so wondering if they are new stock? Thanks for your help. I've got lots to learn not only about heels but vehicles in general. .

Treadwright is a Remold/Retread tire. I wouldn't drive at highway speed for a long distance.
Take Care.
Good morning. I wanted to ask is it unsafe to drive on those treadwrights? I plan on getting new tires but want to drive it in the meantime. What's the worst that could happen? Are all treadwrights retreads? Thanks!

There are 4 new shocks but don't see a name on them so wondering if they are new stock? Thanks for your help. I've got lots to learn not only about heels but vehicles in general. .
With 3" spacer lift the shocks should not be stock. That would not be a good combination. There should be some numbers stamped on the shock body at least.

With 3" spacer lift the shocks should not be stock. That would not be a good combination. There should be some numbers stamped on the shock body at least.
I
Messaged the last owner and this is what he sent me. I want to get the jeep at a minimum in shape to drive to and from work this summer.
After reading about re fearing when switching to bigger rims and tires , and knowing mine was not regeared at all, I'm thinking going back to 15 inch rims is
The way to go. However I still want big tires. Are 33 inch tires an option on 15 inch rims? Without changing the gearing ? Any thoughts and help is appreciated. I'm going to get 26 psi in all tires now and take for a ride. I'm not going to balance at this point and save 40.00 if I'm buying new rims and tires .

IMG_3637.PNG

I ran 33" tires on 15" wheels for many years using the factory 3.07 gears. You will loose some power and in my case I could not use 6th gear (Manual 6 speed Transmission) Re-gearing is costly so you should do it when you are ready and know what tire size you ultimately want. for me I knew I wanted 35's so I got my new gears at that time. Street driving was not an issue for me but for off road I had to keep it in 4-low because 4-hi there was not enough power.

Rim size doesn't really matter. People commonly run 15, 16 or 17. Most on this forum like the look of 15 and there are other factors. But, yes, lots of tires in 33's that fit 15's. Much less in 16's. 17's are fine. Just know the tires get more expensive on 16's and 17's.

To run 33's you really need to see what gears you have. You can find this on the back left side of your rear differential. You may have to clean it off to read it. Probably 3.07 or 3.73. 33's are not really ideal at either, but more doable at 3.73. Ideally, you'd want to regear to 4.56. It's just going to be a dog on the highway if you don't.

You can also look up your Build Sheet to find out all about how your Jeep was built at this site. Just need to put in your VIN #.

https://jeep.custhelp.com/app/jeep/eqlisting_detail/

Last edited:
Tire balance is very important on the TJ. Or should I say, perfect balance. Sounds like you have a typical poor balance job, not the dreaded "death wobble." Take them in and make sure you stress the importance of balancing them perfectly.

Most shops over inflate the tires as well. Try running them at around 26 psi and see how they do.
Hey, wanted to let you know after putting back tires to front the shaking got a bit better. Then I deflated all to 26 psi and it was even better. THEN I took the back and sides off leaving the top on and it improved a ton! Why do you think that is??

Hey, wanted to let you know after putting back tires to front the shaking got a bit better. Then I deflated all to 26 psi and it was even better. THEN I took the back and sides off leaving the top on and it improved a ton! Why do you think that is??

Less wind resistance? Maybe some of that shaking you were getting was from the soft top sides. Sometimes the wind can make them flap a bit, which might be mistake for shaking.

Less wind resistance? Maybe some of that shaking you were getting was from the soft top sides. Sometimes the wind can make them flap a bit, which might be mistake for shaking.
Hi Chris, you were the next on my list to thank for helping me. It could be the soft sides. The other thing that stopped was my drivers door was shaking a lot, which my boyfriend pointed out the pins are shot and there is play in them. But once the sides and back came off that shaking stopped probably due to the reduction in the overall vehicle shaking . I see there's lots I need to educate myself on before making any major decisions. But I'm glad it's better on a really nice day today with 0 chance of rain!!! Have a great weekend !! Oh, and I do have a bunch of other questions for you , but will message you another time . Thanks

Reactions: Chris
Hi Chris, you were the next on my list to thank for helping me. It could be the soft sides. The other thing that stopped was my drivers door was shaking a lot, which my boyfriend pointed out the pins are shot and there is play in them. But once the sides and back came off that shaking stopped probably due to the reduction in the overall vehicle shaking . I see there's lots I need to educate myself on before making any major decisions. But I'm glad it's better on a really nice day today with 0 chance of rain!!! Have a great weekend !! Oh, and I do have a bunch of other questions for you , but will message you another time . Thanks
They sell replacement bushings for the door hinges, which should help with doors shaking:

https://www.extremeterrain.com/omix-ada-brass-door-tj-yj-1120207.html

https://www.quadratec.com/products/...rce=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping

Reactions: Kathy and JP98
Be sure to post up any of the questions you might have. If I can't answer them, someone can!

Enjoy your Jeep and the nice weather!

Thanks for the info but in reading the reviews it states these don't work in stock doors?? I think mine are stock. Any other suggestions on were to get them? Also the tops of my pins are red to match the jeep top. Wonder if I can get them to match or if I will need to paint? If I could get brass ones like you shared id be fine with that .

Thanks for the info but in reading the reviews it states these don't work in stock doors?? I think mine are stock. Any other suggestions on were to get them? Also the tops of my pins are red to match the jeep top. Wonder if I can get them to match or if I will need to paint? If I could get brass ones like you shared id be fine with that .

They do indeed work on the stock doors. Amazon Prime also has them as well: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YM6RDA/?tag=wranglerorg-20

They do indeed work on the stock doors. Amazon Prime also has them as well: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YM6RDA/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Well, after reading the reviews on Amazon, it seems the majority of those reviewing agree that those do not work on stock hinges. Try this website:

http://magnitude-engineering.com/products.html