News + current events

The full story of Scottie Scheffler’s shocking arrest: How tragedy, chaos struck at PGA

Scheffler was never angry, he said. But he was in shock.

“I was shaking the whole time. I was shaking for like an hour,” he said. “It was definitely a new feeling for me.”

At the station, several officers figured out who he was. Scheffler described them as “tremendous.” They cracked some jokes. That helped a little bit.

“This one older officer looked at me as I was doing my fingerprints or whatever, and he looks at me and he goes, ‘So, do you want the full experience today?’ I kind of looked at him, and I was like, ‘I don’t know how to answer that.’ He’s like, ‘Come on, man, you want a sandwich?’ I was like, ‘Sure, I’ll take a sandwich.’ I hadn’t eaten breakfast yet.”

His official booking time was 7:28 a.m. Before long his mugshot — orange jumpsuit and all — had hit the internet. Back at the course, nobody could believe it.

From ESPN
"We've been going back and forth since it happened," Steve Romines, Scheffler's attorney, told ESPN. "I had made it clear to them, as I've said, that it was not a negotiation. We were either going to litigate the case or it was going to be dismissed. They correctly came to the conclusion that there was not probable cause and the case should be dismissed."

Romines told ESPN that there were two witnesses — who can be seen in videos released by the LMPD from a dashcam video in a cruiser and a fixed camera from a light pole — who refuted allegations that Scheffler's SUV struck or dragged Gillis. Romines said there were other eyewitnesses who can't be seen in the video.

"[Gillis] was not struck by Scottie's car, and he was not drug by Scottie's car," Romines said. "So however he got to torn pants or a scrape on his knee didn't have anything to do with Scottie Scheffler."

Reactions: B252
https://komonews.com/amp/news/natio...vice-officials-press-release-serious-injuries

A press release from the National Park Service says an 83-year-old woman from Greenville, South Carolina was gored by a bison on June 1 in Yellowstone National Park.

"The bison, defending its space, came within a few feet of the woman and lifted her about a foot off the ground with its horns," the release says.

After being transported to a medical clinic, the unidentified woman was then flown by helicopter to Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center with serious injuries.

There was no information on the woman's exact condition, and the Park Service said the incident remains under investigation.

In the release, park officials reminded visitors, "It’s your responsibility to respect safety regulations and view wildlife from a safe distance. Move away from wildlife if they approach you."

IMG_3545_jpeg-3232653.jpg

"[Gillis] was not struck by Scottie's car, and he was not drug by Scottie's car," Romines said. "So however he got to torn pants or a scrape on his knee didn't have anything to do with Scottie Scheffler."

From the one video I saw, that was clear. So now that means the cop fabricated his BS story in order to go after this guy, maybe in an extortion effort, but that's guessing. That cop, and any who went along with it, should be severely punished since he is a "public servant" of sorts.

Parnelli Jones, 1933-2024​

Parnelli-Jones-1.jpg

By David Malsher-Lopez | June 4, 2024 6:04 PM ET
One of the toughest, fastest, most determined and versatile drivers to ever grace motorsport has left us, aged 90. Rufus Parnell Jones, born in Texarkana, Ark., in 1933, died of natural causes on June 4, in Torrance, Calif., the city where he had lived since he was seven years old.
How significant a figure was the man we knew as Parnelli Jones? The late, great Robin Miller said it best: U.S. motorsport’s Mount Rushmore would feature A.J. Foyt, Mario Andretti, Dan Gurney and Parnelli. And there’s little point in disputing that because he was right.
Parnelli signified speed. Just as overenthusiastic drivers in the U.K. in the ’60s would be asked by admonishing police officers, “Who do you think you are? Stirling Moss?” so traffic cops on this side of the Atlantic would compare a speeding driver unfavorably with Parnelli Jones. And inevitably, there came the fateful day when the man himself was stopped, and he was able to reply, “As a matter of fact, I am Parnelli Jones.” That would become the title of his excellent biography with journalist Bones Bourcier.
Yet the “Jones” part became superfluous: he was among those elite sports stars – Nuvolari, Pele, Kobe, Shaq, Fangio – who required only one name for everyone to know the subject of the conversation. There was only one Parnelli.
How he attained this unusual (unique?) name is tortuous, but has its roots in the not uncommon desire for a young driver to fudge his age. Jones’ mother had named him Rufus Parnell after a local judge whom she respected, but the name Rufus Jones would have been rare enough to ring a bell with potential visitors to his local track in Gardena, just five miles from Torrance. It would therefore have been easy for officials to trace his age and learn he was 17 – a year younger than the legal age to compete. What to do? A high school friend, Billy Calder, came up with the solution. He had nicknamed him “Parnellie,” fusing his middle name with the first name of Nellie, a girl who was rather keen on our handsome hero, and one day Billy painted “Parnellie” on the door of Jones’s 1934 Ford jalopy. The final “e” was eventually dropped; the remainder stuck. Billy couldn’t have imagined that his friend’s memorable new alias would go on to become an iconic name.
Parnelli14x11-22-01-51.jpg

https://racer.com/2024/06/04/parnelli-jones-1933-2024/

• USA Proud
Reactions: B252 and BlueC
Hooters has abruptly shuttered 40 locations - as restaurant crisis deepens
https://www.wtsp.com/article/money/...tions/67-648d4443-8736-41f4-baf7-1fbb6dbaaeb7
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/yourmoney/article-13564185/Hooters-shuts-restaurants-crisis-deepens.html

LAKELAND, Fla. — Hooters appears to be the latest restaurant chain to abruptly close dozens of locations across the U.S., and it's already affecting patrons in the Tampa Bay area.

The chicken wing chain suddenly closed its South Lakeland location on Sunday. As The News-Press reports, the restaurant on Florida Avenue S is said to be the second Hooters ever, opening in 1984.

Listed as "permanently closed" online, Hooters South Lakeland has already been removed from the company's website and has an inactive Facebook page.

A letter circulating on social media appears to inform employees that their "employment is ending effective Sunday, June 23, 2024."

"Like many restaurants under pressure from current market conditions, Hooters has made the difficult decision to close a select number of underperforming stores including the Hooters of Lakeland...." the letter reads, in part. "We deeply regret that we were not able to give you notice."

The letter uses the same phrases that Hooters used in a statement provided to Nation's Restaurant News, which assures patrons that "this brand of 41 years remains highly resilient and relevant."

The Lakeland location is just one of about 40 Hooters restaurants closing across the U.S. this week, the restaurant publication reports. While the company has not shared a list of all the closures, dozens were reported in Kentucky, Texas and Florida.

86510003-13564185-image-a-10_1719251518694.jpg

86509999-13564185-image-a-13_1719258940593.jpg

Screenshot_2024-06-24_192317_jpg-3249997.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: B252