No dash lights

kiwi

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Been chasing this problem for about a year. Every couple months all my interior lights go out. No gauge lights, Hvac lights, dome light, or any of the gauges themselves work either. No speedo, no fuel gauge, etc.

The headlights still work, the indicator lights on the gauge still work, the cig lighter works, the radio works

This will happen every couple months and then fix itself within a few weeks

I’ve checked the fuses, cleaned the gauge connections, and cleaned the ground in the footwell

What’s the next ideas?

• Sad
Reactions: PNW_LJ
max von sydow priest GIF

Been chasing this problem for about a year. Every couple months all my interior lights go out. No gauge lights, Hvac lights, dome light, or any of the gauges themselves work either. No speedo, no fuel gauge, etc.

The headlights still work, the indicator lights on the gauge still work, the cig lighter works, the radio works

This will happen every couple months and then fix itself within a few weeks

I’ve checked the fuses, cleaned the gauge connections, and cleaned the ground in the footwell

What’s the next ideas?

Similar thing happened to me a few years ago my interior lights would go out for a split second ...my guages would spike ..headlights and radio stayed on it did it about 8 or 9 times on my way to work (20 miles)... I cleaned as many ground wires as I could find and put a new coil pack on....not sure what fixed it.. ..(probably ground wires).....but it went away

Reactions: CreepinDeth
There are ground wires that are bundled at each lower speaker retaining screw and beneath the dash panel in each foot well.
Check ALL of these ground wires for oxidized or lose connection.

There are ground wires that are bundled at each lower speaker retaining screw and beneath the dash panel in each foot well.

Believe it or not the one I found to be the rustiest was the one in the middle of the firewall up high underneath the wiring harness

Similar thing happened to me a few years ago my interior lights would go out for a split second ...my guages would spike ..headlights and radio stayed on it did it about 8 or 9 times on my way to work (20 miles)... I cleaned as many ground wires as I could find and put a new coil pack on....not sure what fixed it.. ..(probably ground wires).....but it went away

99% of the time, its a loose/corroded connection or ground

Took some things out to look for grounds and saw this one..

But this is the stock radio ground correct? Not anything for the dash
EC38E2E0-4B46-419F-AC24-DE727DA80B78.jpeg

Should i ground it to anything? It was just loosely in there

Cleaned all of those and still nothing. I couldn’t see any other grounds anywhere

• Sad
Reactions: PNW_LJ
Problem solved..
I double checked all the fuses, nothing was blown, but i decided to take the 10amp accessory fuse out of the engine fuse block and swap it with a known working fuse.
That solved the issue, but it wasn’t the fuse that was blown, i think it was the connections on the fuse were dirty, so by taking it out and putting it back in, it got some fresh contact points. We’ll see how long it lasts

Problem solved..
I double checked all the fuses, nothing was blown, but i decided to take the 10amp accessory fuse out of the engine fuse block and swap it with a known working fuse.
That solved the issue, but it wasn’t the fuse that was blown, i think it was the connections on the fuse were dirty, so by taking it out and putting it back in, it got some fresh contact points. We’ll see how long it lasts

During a trip to the Philippines in 2016 I purchased a 1993 Toyota Land Cruiser which had a lot of electrical gremlins.
Spent a lot of hours troubleshooting the problems and found many were due to oxidized electrical connector terminals and fuse blades.
I replaced the all fuses and cleaned the terminals with scotch bright and Deoxit .

Well it lasted all of 5 min. Now it won’t work no matter how many times i jiggle the fuse

Took apart the whole fuse box and couldn’t see any loose wiring or anything. Not sure what to do now

Reactions: CreepinDeth
During a trip to the Philippines in 2016 I purchased a 1993 Toyota Land Cruiser which had a lot of electrical gremlins.
Spent a lot of hours troubleshooting the problems and found many were due to oxidized electrical connector terminals and fuse blades.
I replaced the all fuses and cleaned the terminals with scotch bright and Deoxit .

THIS
Is EXACTLY why its often easier to gut and replace the entire harness and start fresh. Tracing electrical gremlins can be EXTREMELY infuriating esp if u get left stranded a few times.

American autowire
Painless wiring

Just 2 of the better brands out there to look jnto
All ya need is a giant color schematic , laminate it, and goto town

Remember this vehicle is in the PI and access to items like you are referring to are not always available and IF they; you WILL be waiting a long time and WILL pay import duties.
Generally while I am stateside I order the parts I need and ship them over or include them in my luggage for the trip back to the PI.

Is there a picture of video anywhere of where these grounds are located? I am trying to trouble shoot my dash lights not working. I just changed the multifunction switch (didn't fix the light issue but fixed the light indicator staying on).

Well it lasted all of 5 min. Now it won’t work no matter how many times i jiggle the fuse

Took apart the whole fuse box and couldn’t see any loose wiring or anything. Not sure what to do now

I'm not sure how this would impact your problem, but the tail lights are on the same circuit as the dash lights. I had a bare wire on the hitch wiring that was shorting out and blowing the fuse. I thought I had just lost the interior lights until someone pulled up beside me and told me I had no tail lights. Brake lights worked as they are on a separate circuit.

I would check out the tail light and any trailer wiring for issues.

Is there a picture of video anywhere of where these grounds are located? I am trying to trouble shoot my dash lights not working. I just changed the multifunction switch (didn't fix the light issue but fixed the light indicator staying on).

Here is the one on driver side…if you’re in the driver’s seat move your left foot over to the kick panel and look above your toe…Same on other side

IMG_0172.jpeg

I'm not sure how this would impact your problem, but the tail lights are on the same circuit as the dash lights. I had a bare wire on the hitch wiring that was shorting out and blowing the fuse. I thought I had just lost the interior lights until someone pulled up beside me and told me I had no tail lights. Brake lights worked as they are on a separate circuit.

I would check out the tail light and any trailer wiring for issues.

I have working tail lights