No gas

They have reactors now that can extract a bunch more energy from the spent fuel so that can help with the storage problem. Yes perception is the killer but also when something goes wrong it goes wrong in a big way.

How many submarine reactors do you know of that have had something go wrong in a big way?

GE created a reactor that shuts down on it's own to safe levels if there is a complete loss of power and every person in the plant is incapacitated.

It does rely on not storing spent fuel in a pool on site.

Reactions: Apparition
GE created a reactor that shuts down on it's own to safe levels if there is a complete loss of power and every person in the plant is incapacitated.

I follow a forum that has some folks on it that work for the reactor back east in Tennessee IIRC. They report that the approval process is astoundingly long, complex, and expensive, and done so by design to prevent the building of new reactors. They got it online finally but it was a terrible struggle.

Look at how long it’s taken California to try and build a desalination plant in the Los Angeles County area. It’s been over 20 years of trying to get it approved and they still won’t approve it even when faced with severe droughts. They’d just as soon make people die of dehydration before they imposed an inch on the environment.

Reactions: JMT
Harnessing energy is pretty easy. We have a TON of ways to convert it from different forms, some more efficient than others, but the conversion has NEVER been the problem The problem is how do you Store it? Solar only works during the day and society runs 24 hours a day. Lead Acid is really the only viable solution. and it doesn't store energy very densely. Means you need a LOT of lead. Oh...the .gov (thru EPA regs) decided that we probably shouldn't smelt lead in the US....So we rely of importation of foreign lead. But...what about Lithium? Yeah, again, relying on foreign production and there currently isn't any way to handle the spent batteries...Lead Acid batteries are one of the most recyclable products out there. Its something like 99% of all material in a FLA battery is recycled.

Wind is a great idea...but the generation is irregular, and operating expenses are pretty high. VERY expensive to install and maintain. A couple articles I've read said that very few of them actually make their full 20 year life expectancy too. Plus...have you driven through a wind farm? talk about a blight on the landscape. At least when people need power and the wind is blowing, you can let the brakes off and get some juice.

I'm a big fan of nuclear. Imagine how far we could come if we put HALF the resources into nuclear that we have into electric cars...that we can't charge because we haven't updated the grid in 2 decades and we can't keep up with the power demands we have now.

I was an itern at a nuclear plant. I spent 9 months on paperwork for a project that in a regular power plant took a day or two to order and get on an outage schedule. I got a job designing regular power plants.

Reactions: srimes

GE , these are the folks that brought you the exceptional Fukushima plant design. :cautious:

Harnessing energy is pretty easy. We have a TON of ways to convert it from different forms, some more efficient than others, but the conversion has NEVER been the problem The problem is how do you Store it? Solar only works during the day and society runs 24 hours a day. Lead Acid is really the only viable solution. and it doesn't store energy very densely. Means you need a LOT of lead. Oh...the .gov (thru EPA regs) decided that we probably shouldn't smelt lead in the US....So we rely of importation of foreign lead. But...what about Lithium? Yeah, again, relying on foreign production and there currently isn't any way to handle the spent batteries...Lead Acid batteries are one of the most recyclable products out there. Its something like 99% of all material in a FLA battery is recycled.

Wind is a great idea...but the generation is irregular, and operating expenses are pretty high. VERY expensive to install and maintain. A couple articles I've read said that very few of them actually make their full 20 year life expectancy too. Plus...have you driven through a wind farm? talk about a blight on the landscape.

I'm a big fan of nuclear. Imagine how far we could come if we put HALF the resources into nuclear that we have into electric cars...that we can't charge because we haven't updated the grid in 2 decades and we can't keep up with the power demands we have now.

With the sun we have, every home out here should have a solar array on it. If they can get it to that point, the demand on our infrastructure will go down considerably. With that many being needed, that should drive costs to an acceptable level. We have methods, we just aren't paying attention to them in favor of what is trendy.

What I need is a water/environmental expert to explain whether or not the oxygen that lawns produce offsets the water needed to keep them growing.

we are all kinda stuck in this boat now........ mom and pop are gone. i do try and deal locally 1st (Summit, Eastwood), then small batch vendors for other products ( like Savvy or Currie, AtoZ and Kecks). but to be honest 100% of not much is all made here, things claiming to be U.S. made are chock full of overseas parts.
Amazon is the new dept. store, they have it all in 1 spot. i do shop them, but for items i cannot readily find locally. or locally they are considerably more expensive. no day to day items either, just stuff i can't get around here quicker.

Give it another 2 weeks and the people of Colorado are going to start trying to figure out how to place less online orders... To the tune of $0.27/shipping box.

Its now a consortium of GE and Asian firms. There are no new plants here. But yes, there are bad designs and old stuff out there. Allow new stuff to be built and stop using the old.

It's like complaining that an old dos pc sucks while regulating out smartphones. All old designs would be gone now if we allowed new designs with new technology. Instead they run them past their lifecycle using 50-60 year old control technology and just flip them off with no valid replacement.

The Japanese still use nuclear and the remaining Chernobyl units stayed in operation. Just like the other 3 mile island plant which was decommissioned in 2019.

Reactions: Chris
To be fair, the engine the Wright brothers used pretty much sucks by today's standards. The great thing about technology is it rarely stagnates unless you force it to.

But what sucks is it's forced to by the government. the thing that was cool about the Wright flyer engine is someone built the damn engine in their shop , how many of us has built a scratch built an I.C.E. in their our shop today , let alone in the early 1900's ? These guys where something we are not as it appears.

I never called you dumb

Not far off though. Thanks for your insightful comments.

You mentality is not too dissimilar in blaming the gun for mass shootings. Solve the problem, not the tool used to create the problem.

not at all............ the gun is no more responsible than the fuel. it's the hand that controls both that's the problem.

i don't follow politics, i don't play donkeys and elephants, id rather have a smarter person in charge and i'm not a fan of old joe's non-reaction to all this BS. i did not care for the manderin messiah either but at least he was publically active and communicated his intensions.

as a younger man i always heard our oil is crap and costs us way to much to refine, so we don't bother we trade it off and buy it from others. has this changed? i recall boats being loaded with our oil to be sent overseas and refined just parking offshore for a month and bringing the same trash right back in to us.

Last edited:
Not far off though. Thanks for your insightful comments.

not at all............ the gun is no more responsible than the fuel. it's the hand that controls both that's the problem.

i don't follow politics, i don't play donkeys and elephants, id rather have a smarter person in charge and i'm not a fan of old joe's non-reaction to all this BS. i did not care for the manderin messiah either but at least he was publically active and communicated his intensions.

as a younger man i always heard our oil is crap and costs us way to much to refine, so we don't bother we trade it off and buy it from others. has this changed? i recall boats being loaded with our oil to be sent overseas and refined just parking offshore for a month and bringing the same trash right back in to us.

If you're not going to play "donkeys and elephants" than you're part of the problem. Understanding where the people you vote for stand on issues is hugely important.

Ol Joe isn't reacting to "all this" because it's exactly what he (and his handlers) want to happen. It's how they drive their agenda. They create dependence on government. They don't care that inflation affects low income people more that higher income. They say they do, but the policies they create prove they do not.

I worked at Peach Bottom Atomic Power Station for almost 5 years (left there 4 years ago), same company that owned Three Mile Island. While I was there we did a big power uprate project to increase the output of our 2 reactors. Most if not all of the energy we produced didn't stay in the state though. Three Mile Island couldn't even find anyone to purchase the power it created most years. The company I worked for had something like 15 nuclear sites in their fleet and only 3-4 were profitable. Those 3-4 kept the entire fleet running because the areas needed the electricity. As far as i'm concerned nuclear is the best option when it comes to clean energy, the average person knows nothing about it though and is scared by what how it's portrayed.

We kept all spent fuel onsite as well. When i left we were in the process of expanded out spent fuel storage facility. The government actually pays the generating company millions of dollars a year to store their own spent fuel if possible. There was also talk of turning Three Mile Island into a giant spent fuel storage facility now.

Last edited:
Reactions: pc1p
Most if not all of the energy we produced didn't stay in the state though.

This reminded me of the time my company paid for its employees to go on a Segway tour. While getting setup I noticed that you could pay an extra $15 if you wanted to be charged with wind energy instead of the local powerplant.

The thing was I didn't see a windmill anywhere nor did they have any outlets labeled that they were connected to a windmill somewhere.

I'm sure some people gladly paid it.

now it's time to have some course of action, if we can effect their end maybe they lean on who y'all think the real problem is and push leads to shove and the line gets moved.
You replied not at all to my comment as to similarities to gun control. If you read what you wrote in that sentence, you want to punish the oil companies in hopes that that will lead to a change when they revolt and create push back against something or someone.

The liberal side of .gov wants to punish ammunition manufacturers and gun manufacturers in a fruitless endeavor to solve the symptoms of the issue instead of solving the real issue which is wholly not gun related.

See it now?

You're upset with big oil for raping you at the pump. You want to punish big oil through some misbegotten notion that a boycott of their product for a couple of days will have the intended effect of taking away money from them.

Big Oil did not-
Shut down pipelines.
Shut down refinery capacity due to lower demand.
Make folks stay home and shut down the economy.
Send out free stimulus checks.
Send out billions in unrepaid employment loans.
Clog up the ports with excess spending.
Restrict the sale of oil and gas leases.
Increase our dependence on foreign oil.
Compel Increased mileage and reduce emissions in vehicles.

Those are just a few things that .gov did that are causing YOU to spend more at the pump. You're reacting to the symptom and trying to punish the entity with the least effect on how we got here.

Our government is fucking big oil hard. If Big Oil were to do anything to lower prices at the pump at the request of the .gov, it would only be a short term recess until our government is right back to fucking them hard again. You can't fuck someone over as hard as our government does to Big Oil and then in turn expect help in the form of lower prices at the pump when they know that the instant the public's attention is diverted elsewhere, they will go right back to fucking Big Oil harder.

I want the prices at the pump to go higher and cause more pain. At some point it may become painful enough that folks stop and really find a way to correlate their dumbass vote to how much they actually fucked themselves and the rest of us. There are consequences and folks need to realize that.

Last edited:
small movement to make a meager attempt at stickin it to the fuel co's that are stickin it to us right now.

if you can avoid it................... no fuel from 6/3-6/5.

personally as of late i refuse to support any fuel station stores for anything except the fuel needed for getting to work.

Thinking on this some more. Simple question for you. Let's say we could get the vast majority of drivers on board with this boycott to punish the gas companies and not buy fuel for 2 days a month from now.

You still have to drive the same number of miles on your commute. Are you going to fill up before those boycott days so you can still make it to work? We know you have to fill up after the boycott unless you are managing to stockpile some fuel or stay home. If you stockpile, unless you steal it, the exact same money is going out of the same pocket into another exact same pocket at the pump.

Where and how does the net lower result to punish the gas companies come into play? How exactly will that work?

Here is the reality. Due to pricing, very few are doing much extra other than buying the fuel they need to. In other words, most folks are already ONLY buying the fuel they need to get by.

So again, what will actually be accomplished?

Thinking on this some more. Simple question for you. Let's say we could get the vast majority of drivers on board with this boycott to punish the gas companies and not buy fuel for 2 days a month from now.

You still have to drive the same number of miles on your commute. Are you going to fill up before those boycott days so you can still make it to work? We know you have to fill up after the boycott unless you are managing to stockpile some fuel or stay home. If you stockpile, unless you steal it, the exact same money is going out of the same pocket into another exact same pocket at the pump.

Where and how does the net lower result to punish the gas companies come into play? How exactly will that work?

Here is the reality. Due to pricing, very few are doing much extra other than buying the fuel they need to. In other words, most folks are already ONLY buying the fuel they need to get by.

So again, what will actually be accomplished?

I don’t buy fuel every day. Sometimes it’s three weeks before I need more fuel in my truck.