No movement in 4hi

DrumHead

Recently picked up a 2000 TJ with the 4.0L engine and a manual transmission.

It's lifted 6" with the Skyjacker lift.

When I shift into 4hi, the engine just revs. It's as if the clutch is still engaged. Drives fine in 2wd.

I can see the linkage move from underneath and it doesn't look like it's been moved or adjusted in a long time. Aside from trying to adjust and see if I'm just not fully engaging 4hi, is there any other way to diagnose before I pull the transfer case?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

You can disconnect the linkage and move the lever by hand or with a wrench so you can feel the detents.

What does it do in 4 low?

It drives in 4lo, but the Part time light comes on. Can't get the full time light on.

I just tried 4hi again, and I can get it to engage if I don't pull the shifter all the way back into 4hi.

But I can now get it to drive in 4hi and 4lo. But is that normal for the extra travel with the shifter?

Thanks

It drives in 4lo, but the Part time light comes on. Can't get the full time light on.

I just tried 4hi again, and I can get it to engage if I don't pull the shifter all the way back into 4hi.

But I can now get it to drive in 4hi and 4lo. But is that normal for the extra travel with the shifter?

Thanks

There is no full time light on our TJ's. Not like other vehicles that can stay in 4WD.

For the 4HI vs Neutral issue, sounds like you need to adjust your shifter. If you are running the stock shifter and a body lift, go ahead and toss it in the garbage and get the Savvy shifter instead. It's pretty clear your transfer case works fine, you just need a better or properly adjusted shifter actuating the t-case shift plate.

Got ya, the light is there just to torture me!

Thanks for such quick answers!

My 06 only has the one 4wd light, but it has lights for the front and rear lockers from a Rubicon, that I don't have, and it still has the upshift indicator arrow that I learned to ignore on my 99 but it never lights up.

You show me a TJ with 6 inches of lift that still has the stock linkage and I’ll show you a TJ that’s going to have to transfer case shifter drama- you need the adapter plate or better yet a cable shifter- they are awesome.

Last edited:
Reactions: freedom_in_4low