No vent hole on Dana 30

burghermike

So I'm guessing that the guy who installed the locker in my Dana 30 got lazy of just plain forgot about porting the axle for ventilation and decided to use the hole for the locker supply line. Hmmmm

So the question is, Do i remove the cover and drill a vent through the front or cautiously go to the cast gear housing and work there? ( I'm not real keen on the possiblity of shavings ) i could be exxxxxtra careful

Your help is greatly appreciated. I could have this wrapped up by tomorrow and I would be a very Happy camper. I do miss my LJ

I don't see why you couldn't drill a hole in the cover, though I would take it off and drill it, as you don't want to get shavings inside the diff.

Pull the cover and drill thru the cast housing. There is a small recess on the driver side that would fit the copper line (if using an ARB)

20200103_121216.jpg
20200104_083659.jpg

You might need a new copper line though, especially if tube is routed thru there

Reactions: Fouledplugs
10-4 got it. Seems easy enough to get it done. My concern were the shavings that might fly. Ill cover all before I attempt anything. As soon as I'm done I'll post up some pics. The Short story is I had a Dana 30 HP handy and I wanted to upgrade from the Dana 30 LP. Artec products, Chromoly axles, ARB Locker. Everything would move right over. Why not. A good upgrade for minimal $. The beast should be road bound this week.
Thanks for the help once again.
Mike

So I'm guessing that the guy who installed the locker in my Dana 30 got lazy of just plain forgot about porting the axle for ventilation and decided to use the hole for the locker supply line. Hmmmm
Stock TJ Dana 30? Its factory vent is at the very top driver's side on the rear of the housing, yours doesn't have that vent hole?

Capture.JPG

Stock TJ Dana 30? Its factory vent is at the very top driver's side on the rear of the housing, yours doesn't have that vent hole?

The installer used the hole for the vent tune to install the locker air line.

@burghermike , after covering everything up, get someone to help you by holding a running shop vac in position as you drill to suck up some of the shavings.

Stock TJ Dana 30? Its factory vent is at the very top driver's side on the rear of the housing, yours doesn't have that vent hole? It should be noted I moved up from a LPD30 to a HPD30 and the vent was on the right. I believe it came out of '95 XJ

View attachment 142023
As it turns out, I believe the installer may have forgotten or maybe slipped his mind. ( Seasoned " age/older" track/drag racer). Anyway, his work is really been bullet proof in the past. I may have to rethink my future. LOL I will use Tworleys method. The existing vent hole is on the top right and will be re-located to the top left or in the vicinity. Btw Jerry, I follow your threads and am most appreciative of what both you and Tworley have to say. As well as Chris, @mrblaine and others who's name i have not mentioned. Thank you very much my friends for the quality input and rapid response, I'm having a blast

Put a strong magnet attached to the bit when you drill. That will help keep shavings from dispersing when the bit comes out the bottom. A smear of heavy grease on the bottom where you are expecting the bit and a small gob above after you have the hole started will also help hold any shavings or splinters from going elsewhere. Drill slowly! Nice and slow. The bit works better and less likely to snap.

Put a strong magnet attached to the bit when you drill. That will help keep shavings from dispersing when the bit comes out the bottom. A smear of heavy grease on the bottom where you are expecting the bit and a small gob above after you have the hole started will also help hold any shavings or splinters from going elsewhere. Drill slowly! Nice and slow. The bit works better and less likely to snap.
Cool! Great ideas. thanks