No Vibrations

Stinger

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Ya I know! No pictures didn't happen.

I had Stinger aligned and the shop found a problem with the thrust angle. Then they realized I had adjustable control arms on the rear. So-— they attempted to adjust the angle and found one of the gyro joints frozen. So they did all of the adjustment from one side.

I didn't like having all of the thread showing on the gyro joints one one side so I dropped the skid plate to access the joint. Yep, it was frozen in the control arm despite using antiseize. I wrapped anything close to the joint in heat shielding foil and put the heat to the control arm joint. Short story, I used a 1 inch open end wrench and a breaker bar on that wrench and broke the hot joint apart.
Counted flats and moved the arms to some what the same threads showing and what appeared to be same thrust angle.

After that I found the Nth Stinger had throw a bolt holding the rear diff skid shield to the Stinger. What that caused was about 35 degrees difference in pinion angle.

Ya, not good! Vibrations were out of sight and I think it caused the left rear shock bolt to back off. It was very loose in the housing.

Got everything fixed and using a BUNCH of 1/2 washers adjusted the stinger/shield difference to give a + 1 degree pinion angle.

Now back to the thread title. Coming out of our development a left turn leads to a winter closure about 9 miles away with no access from roads on the side. (some forest service dirt roads)

I pulled onto the highway and slowly gave Stinger the gas. 40- no vib. 60 no vib. 65-no vib.
new_asthanos.gif
75 no vib
icon_razz.gif
. 85
new_asthanos.gif
no vib. Stingers speedo only goes to 100-—- got there and pressed the pedal another 500 or so rpm.
new_asthanos.gif
. Only had about 2,000 rpm left!
new_asthanos.gif
new_asthanos.gif
NO FREAKING VIBRATION! Think I may have fixed my problem.
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

GD this thing is fast! Sorry folks but I have no way of squeezing the steering wheel like a terrified little girl and talking pictures so just take my word for it. Or better yet come take a ride and take pictures for me!

05 Rubicon LJ #009 Sahara slightly modified

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I wan't 1/4 mile times man, haha!

Actually, I really want you to dyno that thing and see what it's putting down at the wheels.

I wan't 1/4 mile times man, haha!

Actually, I really want you to dyno that thing and see what it's putting down at the wheels.
You got the $$$$$$
What I am now really concerned about is the first time I do "Moab Bump" I blow a u-joint, or POS factory Rubicon locker!

Was going to do a video of low range 1st gear max rpm. However, I just put it back on the lift and pulled the rear sway bar links off. They are 3 1/2 inches too short. So video gets put off a couple of days.

That's the problem with that V8 swap. It's fucking awesome, but now you're going to have to go through and start replacing lockers, axle shafts, etc. to compensate for more power. Don't want to be out in Moab and blow out your locker or something because of all that power!

Chris I am researching the 14 bolt for the rear and Dana 60 up front. This will be a "junk yard build." But I have already started. If I didn't have the FSJ project getting in my way!!:rolleyes:

Reactions: Chris
Ya I know! No pictures didn't happen.

I had Stinger aligned and the shop found a problem with the thrust angle. Then they realized I had adjustable control arms on the rear. So-— they attempted to adjust the angle and found one of the gyro joints frozen. So they did all of the adjustment from one side.

I didn't like having all of the thread showing on the gyro joints one one side so I dropped the skid plate to access the joint. Yep, it was frozen in the control arm despite using antiseize. I wrapped anything close to the joint in heat shielding foil and put the heat to the control arm joint. Short story, I used a 1 inch open end wrench and a breaker bar on that wrench and broke the hot joint apart.
Counted flats and moved the arms to some what the same threads showing and what appeared to be same thrust angle.

After that I found the Nth Stinger had throw a bolt holding the rear diff skid shield to the Stinger. What that caused was about 35 degrees difference in pinion angle.

Ya, not good! Vibrations were out of sight and I think it caused the left rear shock bolt to back off. It was very loose in the housing.

Got everything fixed and using a BUNCH of 1/2 washers adjusted the stinger/shield difference to give a + 1 degree pinion angle.

Now back to the thread title. Coming out of our development a left turn leads to a winter closure about 9 miles away with no access from roads on the side. (some forest service dirt roads)

I pulled onto the highway and slowly gave Stinger the gas. 40- no vib. 60 no vib. 65-no vib. View attachment 2965 75 no vibView attachment 2966. 85View attachment 2967 no vib. Stingers speedo only goes to 100-—- got there and pressed the pedal another 500 or so rpm. View attachment 2968. Only had about 2,000 rpm left!
View attachment 2969View attachment 2970 NO FREAKING VIBRATION! Think I may have fixed my problem.View attachment 2971View attachment 2972View attachment 2973

GD this thing is fast! Sorry folks but I have no way of squeezing the steering wheel like a terrified little girl and talking pictures so just take my word for it. Or better yet come take a ride and take pictures for me!
05 Rubicon LJ #009 Sahara slightly modified

I think I may not do that again. I woke up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat!
upload_2016-2-11_9-36-40.png

I may get some pics today of 1st low range
upload_2016-2-11_9-36-40.png

http://vid125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/fziebert/20160211_113949.mp4

Note the 6L90 is a six speed! 5 and 6 are overdrive gears meaning the ratio is less that 1:1
I messed up the low range video but the speedo didn't move until well up in the gears. The reason I messed up the video is that each gear shift under throttle snaps the crap out of my neck and I almost dropped the camera. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: StG58
Sweet Jesus! The sound alone is enough to swoon over. Nothing like the sound of a throaty V8!

But man, that thing looks like it really pulls!

Reactions: Frank
Not a dragster but the torque is unreal. I still have to do a full throttle run. Don't want to blow the diff.

Reactions: Frank
Not a dragster but the torque is unreal. I still have to do a full throttle run. Don't want to blow the diff.

Yep, I'd be concerned about blowing shit up too with all that torque. I guess there's no trouble passing people on the highway or going up steep inclines (i.e. Santiam pass, Bachelor, etc.)?

Damn it. Drove over to Salem yesterday for a 190 mile shake down. Over time I got the medium frequency vibe back. Plus the TCs twin sticks are shaking laterally more than I would like.
Back to the shop! :mad:

Continuing saga of whack-a-mole! Be prepared for this any time you deviate from stock! It must be a conscious decision or you will end up hating the whole damn thing. Wrenching is my hobby and having a shop with a lift makes it enjoyable:p

Last edited:
Yes, I know. Anytime you get over 2.5" it seems that's when this game begins.