Noise on Deceleration After Re-Gear

FamilyFunWagon

TJ Enthusiast
Hey All,

I know this has been well discussed, but I am a bit of a neurotic mess when it comes to my jeep.

So, I had my Jeep regeared over the weekend and I have just completed the heat cycle.

2004 Jeep Rubicon

42RLE, 33" tires, Revolution Master kit, Revolution 5.13 gear and pinion..

Double cardan drive shaft.

But, I have noticed on deceleration my jeep sounds like it has noisy beefy tires. It is a noise that did not exist before.

I did not have this issue before and I have heard the argument of the drive line being out of balance. If this is so:

Where can I get my drive line rebranded?

Also, my speedo is about 12-13 mph off.. is this normal?

The installer said that it is only being heard on deceleration because of the pinion gear and drive shift angle shift on deceleration which will cause thenormalize?

He said on acceleration. The noise dissappears because of the angle change. Which seems to make sense.

But I just want to make sure.

The installers were very reputable and highly suggested by folks here and by revolution gear, when I spoke with them.

Common cause of noise like that after a regear is too little pinion preload or the pinion was set too deep. You changed gear ratios so your Speedo will be off unless you do something to compensate for it.

if it's a problem with the gears it'll get worse quickly and since you have documented contacting the installers and they are reputable I wouldn't worry about the gears, they will cover them. A good gear shop can identify gear noise, that's what they do everyday. How are your control arms, are they tight? I don't know if I'd balance the shaft. I'd check the u-joints and driveline angles.

if it's a problem with the gears it'll get worse quickly and since you have documented contacting the installers and they are reputable I wouldn't worry about the gears, they will cover them. A good gear shop can identify gear noise, that's what they do everyday. How are your control arms, are they tight? I don't know if I'd balance the shaft. I'd check the u-joints and driveline angles.
Thanks for the response. I will get under there and check it all out.

So I started checking my jeep and found that the upper control arm that connects to the front axle housing was missing a nut. So, I am hoping this is the source of the deceleration noise. It isn't loud, in fact I can't even hear it if the window is down.

Also, some of the control arm bushing look like they are cracking. Should I look into replacing them?

I changed the fluid and I don't see many shavings at all. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Or nothing at all?

No metal shavings is great, it was probably pretty dark stuff. Bad bushings can really make the whole Jeep feel loose and generally old, new ones tighten things up and make if feel new to me with stock arms. I don't know anything about teraflex arms.

Is this a normal front pinion angle?
20220315_150532.jpg

How might I check the adjust ment of the caster?
Magnetic angle finder. If the upper ball joint has a flat enough top you can measure there or measure the angle of the pinion yoke and subtract 12 and that will get you in the ball park.