Noisy rear end

Bbrayden85

TJ Enthusiast
Hey guys, I’m dealing with an ‘02 wrangler 4.0 automatic. When driving starting at about 15mph I get a low sort of rumble sound that sounds kind of like noisy gears. The rumble doesn’t really get louder or quieter at higher speeds but changes the tone almost. It’s a stock Dana 35 and a bone stock jeep. Everything seems tight underneath, no play in u joints or rear wheel bearings. And spinning the wheels nothing is clanking or groaning. The only thing I found odd is there is about maybe an 1/8th inch of in and out play on the rear tires. Like if the axle is sliding in and out just a tiny bit. Has anyone experienced this noise?

The noise you are describing a lot of times stems from a bearing going bad which could be a pinion bearing, carrier bearing or wheel bearing.
You will need to drain the rear differential gear lube and inspect the gear lube to see if there are silver sparkling specks suspended in the gear lube.
IF there are sparkling specks in the gear lube, you will either need to remove the carrier or axles to inspect the bearings for wear. The offending bearing should have wear marks on the rollers and outer race.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
The noise you are describing a lot of times stems from a bearing going bad which could be a pinion bearing, carrier bearing or wheel bearing.
You will need to drain the rear differential gear lube and inspect the gear lube to see if there are silver sparkling specks suspended in the gear lube.
IF there are sparkling specks in the gear lube, you will either need to remove the carrier or axles to inspect the bearings for wear. The offending bearing should have wear marks on the rollers and outer race.

I will have to do this, thanks Charles

The in-out play on both Dana 35 rear axle shafts is absolutely 100% normal and indeed required, it's due to that axle's c-clip design. The play allows the axle shaft(s) to be pushed inward which allows the c-clip to be removed for maintenance which allows the axle shaft to be removed.

The in-out play on both Dana 35 rear axle shafts is absolutely 100% normal and indeed required, it's due to that axle's c-clip design. The play allows the axle shaft(s) to be pushed inward which allows the c-clip to be removed for maintenance which allows the axle shaft to be removed.

Thanks jerry, I was concerned about this

Okay so nobody in town has a Dana 35 diff cover gasket in stock so it is ordered and will be here in 2 days. My dilemma is my jeep is my daily driver. I’m wondering if I can do any serious damage continuing to drive it like this? Also wondering if a simple fluid change can hold me off until spring

Odds are it's just going to continue to get louder. If it's a bearing making the noise it could come apart which could be catastrophic. It wouldn't be a bad idea to drain and refill it, take a look at the old gear lube to see if it's full of shiny metallic particulates or if any pieces of anything come out with the old lube. You might even call your local auto parts recyclers to see if they have any Dana 35 axles out of a Wrangler TJ you could swap in if the old gear lube looks really bad.

Reactions: Bbrayden85
Odds are it's just going to continue to get louder. If it's a bearing making the noise it could come apart which could be catastrophic. It wouldn't be a bad idea to drain and refill it, take a look at the old gear lube to see if it's full of shiny metallic particulates or if any pieces of anything come out with the old lube. You might even call your local auto parts recyclers to see if they have any Dana 35 axles out of a Wrangler TJ you could swap in if the old gear lube looks really bad.

Thanks jerry

I took this video on the way to work. You can really hear it once it hits second gear. Haven’t heard anything like this on any of the other forums.

See a proctologist and/or nutritionist.

Reactions: GPK03X
Okay so nobody in town has a Dana 35 diff cover gasket in stock so it is ordered and will be here in 2 days. My dilemma is my jeep is my daily driver. I’m wondering if I can do any serious damage continuing to drive it like this? Also wondering if a simple fluid change can hold me off until spring

A gasket is not necessary; the key to getting a leak free seal is a thorough cleaning of the cover mating surface and mating surface of the rear differential making sure to remove all of the old gasket and any adhesive. I generally wipe the surfaces with Brakleen, apply gear lube rated RTV to the differential mating surface, install the cover and bolts loosely, wait about 10-15 minutes for the RTV to start the curing process and then snug the bolts down.

Reactions: Jim B
A gasket is not necessary; the key to getting a leak free seal is a thorough cleaning of the cover mating surface and mating surface of the rear differential making sure to remove all of the old gasket and any adhesive. I generally wipe the surfaces with Brakleen, apply gear lube rated RTV to the differential mating surface, install the cover and bolts loosely, wait about 10-15 minutes for the RTV to start the curing process and then snug the bolts down.

Yea that’s how I’ve always seen people do it, but I always always have really bad luck with doing just rtv, I always do a gasket and a very thin layer of rtv on each side. And I’ve never had a problem. I don’t doubt it will work, it’s just how I do it

I had a similar noise I think although it's is difficult to hear on the video. Mine noise occurs as light throttle response starting on Second gear and going through all the gears. In neutral or deceleration no noise.
1- I thought it was the throw out bearing or pilot bearing, so I replaced those (Still noisy)
2- I was installing an SYE and Double Cardan drive shaft anyways, so I replaced that as well in hopes that the new driveline and pinion angle would fix it (Still Noisy)
3- I replaced the transmission and Transfer case fluid (Still noisy)
4- I was going to try the differential fluid next

Just thought I would share as I am going through a similar head scratcher. Just bought the jeep, so I don't have a baseline to compare it to.

Are experiencing similar noises as described above?

Thanks

I had a similar noise I think although it's is difficult to hear on the video. Mine noise occurs as light throttle response starting on Second gear and going through all the gears. In neutral or deceleration no noise.
1- I thought it was the throw out bearing or pilot bearing, so I replaced those (Still noisy)
2- I was installing an SYE and Double Cardan drive shaft anyways, so I replaced that as well in hopes that the new driveline and pinion angle would fix it (Still Noisy)

Just thought I would share as I am going through a similar head scratcher. Just bought the jeep, so I don't have a baseline to compare it to.

Thanks

My noise is different. It starts at around 15mph and will change pitch as I go faster but it’s still loud and clear when decelerating. Doesn’t change based on gear or rpm just speed

Thanks

Just went through the same scenario. My pinion bearing was in really piss poor condition so I replaced the entire center section. No more noise and is now quiet as a mouse.