Not starting

Good morning guys. Have a little issue with the 06 tj 2.4L. Just recently replaced a lot of things on the tj. Camshaft position sensor, crank shaft position sensor, thermostat housing and sensor. The timing belt came off of the gear teeth and had to turning the motor over manually to get the belt back on. This was done before replacing the Crankshaft and Camshaft position sensors. Attempted to start the tj up and it would not fire up. Also smelled fuel after trying several times. Any suggestions to fix this problem would be appreciated. Thank you

IMG_4174.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
And you got all the timing marks lined up?

It's cranking, right?

Seems like you have fuel...have you confirmed spark?

My gut is you missed a tooth or three and need to tear into it again. Or bumped the wrong wire.

Check battery voltage? Wouldn't be the first time my battery died while waiting for me to fix things.

-Mac

You engine is now out of time. You're going to need to get the FSM under Resources and follow the procedures there to retime it.

Sorry, I don't have any experience with the 4 cyl.

Ok so everything was out of wack!! Now everything is aligned as far as camshaft gears and crank gear. Jeep fired up but sounds terrible. Possibly some knocking sound, but didn’t stay running long enough to really tell. Timing appears to be correct since it started up immediately but now I’m concerned like a piston or rod may be damaged. Any ideas would be appreciated. Maybe I should just replace the piston and rods to be sure.