Not sure I want this promotion

View attachment 461361

Solves a lot of problems.... get's you out of the house...and away from the "honey do" list, you see tons of people who will convince you that your problems are insignificant and it nets you a little pocket change.

You take weird selfie’s and I don’t even see the stick.

So, today marks five months since my retirement, and I have to say that it's been kind of a mixed-bag, thus far. For starters, to hell with actually trying to plan anything. When I said I was looking forward to garage time, I meant having the time to work on my own projects. That, however, has not been the case. It's been one repair after another on the family's vehicles. The wife's car needed new suspension parts, full brakes, and other such maintenance things. The daughter's minivan needed the entire cooling system replaced, as well as a starter. Her other minivan needed an electrical diagnosis and subsequent repair, which I just finished today. Then there's the neighbors and their vehicles. Once they noticed I was no longer working, I seem to be their go-to guy for repairs. I don't really mind helping them out, but in the end, it further cuts into my time for my own projects. Oh, well. I guess I could always say "no".

I don't regret having left the place I was working for. Since my departure, there have been a handful of others who have parted ways with the company, as well. Some have been long-term employees, as I was. That doesn't bode well for the establishment. I believe that when employees start seeing their coworkers bailing, it triggers a mindset that perpetuates more resignations.

When I left, it had a lot to do with the (lack of) quality of the people who were coming into the place. Well, there is apparently a new issue to add to it. As a buddy who still works there put it, no one is happy with the latest round of new-hires. It almost appears that HR is going out of their way to bring in folks who have "transitioned" or who are currently going through the process. This has lead to issues amongst the crews with the restrooms, amongst other things. Right before I left, I had a couple of interviews where I couldn't tell the gender of the individual, which meant I had to choose my words carefully. Well, it looks like that trend has continued. I'm sure as hell glad that I don't have to deal with that sort of nonsense, or I'd end up in HR or be named in some sort of lawsuit. As far as I'm concerned, I got out just in time.

Anyways, I'm still adjusting to my new "schedule", such as it is. Just thought I'd throw this stuff out there. ;)

You need to charge for the repair work, can be half the going rate and then you both win. Hiring today is not easy, and HR is no help. Glad you got out, try to enjoy some “me” time.

You take weird selfie’s and I don’t even see the stick.

raw.gif

Today marks the 6th year of my retirement after 36 years at the same place. And retirement hasn't killed me ... yet.
Like you Squatch, making plans to work on my own shit has been a laugh.
The honey-do list is non-stop. But once in a while, I get mine.
I've kept up some conversations with former co-workers and they tell me that so-n-so got promoted.... what... that's fuckin incredible.
They should have been fired long ago. But some of the others that have been promoted really deserve it.
Enjoy it Squatch, we all deserve our retirement.
I recommend it for anyone.

So, today marks five months since my retirement, and I have to say that it's been kind of a mixed-bag, thus far. For starters, to hell with actually trying to plan anything. When I said I was looking forward to garage time, I meant having the time to work on my own projects. That, however, has not been the case. It's been one repair after another on the family's vehicles. The wife's car needed new suspension parts, full brakes, and other such maintenance things. The daughter's minivan needed the entire cooling system replaced, as well as a starter. Her other minivan needed an electrical diagnosis and subsequent repair, which I just finished today. Then there's the neighbors and their vehicles. Once they noticed I was no longer working, I seem to be their go-to guy for repairs. I don't really mind helping them out, but in the end, it further cuts into my time for my own projects. Oh, well. I guess I could always say "no".

I don't regret having left the place I was working for. Since my departure, there have been a handful of others who have parted ways with the company, as well. Some have been long-term employees, as I was. That doesn't bode well for the establishment. I believe that when employees start seeing their coworkers bailing, it triggers a mindset that perpetuates more resignations.

When I left, it had a lot to do with the (lack of) quality of the people who were coming into the place. Well, there is apparently a new issue to add to it. As a buddy who still works there put it, no one is happy with the latest round of new-hires. It almost appears that HR is going out of their way to bring in folks who have "transitioned" or who are currently going through the process. This has lead to issues amongst the crews with the restrooms, amongst other things. Right before I left, I had a couple of interviews where I couldn't tell the gender of the individual, which meant I had to choose my words carefully. Well, it looks like that trend has continued. I'm sure as hell glad that I don't have to deal with that sort of nonsense, or I'd end up in HR or be named in some sort of lawsuit. As far as I'm concerned, I got out just in time.

Anyways, I'm still adjusting to my new "schedule", such as it is. Just thought I'd throw this stuff out there. ;)

It's funny how the definition of retirement seems to have changed over the years. Who knew it meant quitting your regularly scheduled job, only to end up working for multiple bosses (friends and family) with no set schedule.

It definitely sounds like you dodged the WOKE bullet!

I've heard wide ranging stories from others I know that "retired". They all pretty much said don't overdue the things you once loved to do. A couple of them said they missed having that structured routine, but wouldn't ever go back to work.

Me... haha.. I'm going from a semi-retired 3 day per week hobby job (mail route) and paid camping trips in the summer (forest fires), back to a 7 on 7 off, 12 hour day, rotating shift, equipment operator job!! Woohoo!!!

I really miss my old job and employer after 6-1/2 years. With that said, talking to my ex-co-workers, I'd probably have been fired by now - or maybe even in jail over the CCP virus hysteria, the mRNA shots - which they actually didn't require but made life hard for you if you didn't, and a new emphasis on DEI and political correctness. Now granted, I always said that I was their "diversity in employment poster boy", but from what I've been told, its now almost hostile. The gal who made my "Zorba Poppins" that is my current avatar told me that there was no way she could get away with that now - and that's utter BULLSHIT. But what else would you expect from academia in Kommiefornia?

• Sad
Reactions: Squatch
So, I've made the decision to have a 12' X 14' (NOT the 12" X 14" I originally stated!) concrete slab poured beside my garage. I'm tired of working on brakes and suspension, etc., in the dirt and mud. I don't really want to spend the money, but it's obvious that I'm not running out of mechanical projects, and with the TJ and the Marlin occupying the garage space, everything I do is outside. Therefore, I'm going to at least make it a bit more comfortable/workable/tolerable. The guy is supposed to get to pouring within the next couple of weeks.

Last edited:
So, I've made the decision to have a 12" X 14" concrete slab poured beside my garage. I'm tired of working on brakes and suspension, etc., in the dirt and mud. I don't really want to spend the money, but it's obvious that I'm not running out of mechanical projects, and with the TJ and the Marlin occupying the garage space, everything I do is outside. Therefore, I'm going to at least make it a bit more comfortable/workable/tolerable. The guy is supposed to get to pouring within the next couple of weeks.

Just keep telling yourself that you are adding to the resale value.

Just keep telling yourself that you are adding to the resale value.

That came up in the discussion when I presented the idea to my wife. She was 100% in favor of me doing it, regardless. Says I deserve to be more comfortable when laying under a car. She's a good woman. ;)

So, I've made the decision to have a 12" X 14" concrete slab poured beside my garage. I'm tired of working on brakes and suspension, etc., in the dirt and mud. I don't really want to spend the money, but it's obvious that I'm not running out of mechanical projects, and with the TJ and the Marlin occupying the garage space, everything I do is outside. Therefore, I'm going to at least make it a bit more comfortable/workable/tolerable. The guy is supposed to get to pouring within the next couple of weeks.

12" x 14"?! Are you working on cars for ants?

12" x 14"?! Are you working on cars for ants?

Oh, shit! I just realized what I did. :ROFLMAO: And here I thought you were giving me shit about a 12' X 14' slab, and was preparing to explain how small my back yard is. But hell, it ain't that small!
Yeah, I goofed! Sheesh! Thanks, Roo!

I really miss my old job and employer after 6-1/2 years. With that said, talking to my ex-co-workers, I'd probably have been fired by now - or maybe even in jail over the CCP virus hysteria, the mRNA shots - which they actually didn't require but made life hard for you if you didn't, and a new emphasis on DEI and political correctness. Now granted, I always said that I was their "diversity in employment poster boy", but from what I've been told, its now almost hostile. The gal who made my "Zorba Poppins" that is my current avatar told me that there was no way she could get away with that now - and that's utter BULLSHIT. But what else would you expect from academia in Kommiefornia?

Not retired, but I've heard similar things about the job I left in 2019. The rules they put in place during covid hysteria seem to have ruined the office dynamic and the comeraderie that I miss most about that job. Working from home for 4 years I miss the social aspect, but it sounds like it would still be missing if I'd stayed and I'd have less time with my kids and less freedom to mow the lawn at 10am on a Tuesday and pick up the slack around the house so my wife can go back to school, etc.

So, I've made the decision to have a 12' X 14' (NOT the 12" X 14" I originally stated!) concrete slab poured beside my garage. I'm tired of working on brakes and suspension, etc., in the dirt and mud. I don't really want to spend the money, but it's obvious that I'm not running out of mechanical projects, and with the TJ and the Marlin occupying the garage space, everything I do is outside. Therefore, I'm going to at least make it a bit more comfortable/workable/tolerable. The guy is supposed to get to pouring within the next couple of weeks.

You should install a lift while you’re at it.

You should install a lift while you’re at it.

It rains a lot in this area, and a lift probably wouldn't fare well against the elements. But believe me, I thought about it. Of course, there's always the fact that I don't really want to remain here more than a couple of years, at most. The only reason why I'm still here is the fact that the wife doesn't want to leave the granddaughters behind. That's a battle no man can win!

It rains a lot in this area, and a lift probably wouldn't fare well against the elements. But believe me, I thought about it. Of course, there's always the fact that I don't really want to remain here more than a couple of years, at most. The only reason why I'm still here is the fact that the wife doesn't want to leave the granddaughters behind. That's a battle no man can win!

unless you can get the kids to follow you...

we left a dream property at 7,500' in a ponderosa pine forest in Colorado. to move (back) to Oklahoma. Because all of our kids grandparents live here.

unless you can get the kids to follow you...

we left a dream property at 7,500' in a ponderosa pine forest in Colorado. to move (back) to Oklahoma. Because all of our kids grandparents live here.

The wife and I have discussed this very thing. The Son-In-Law's mother lives one block over from us. She's the only thing keeping him in this area. Her health is really bad, and with her eventual passing, having the kids relocate with us is a very real possibility.

The wife and I have discussed this very thing. The Son-In-Law's mother lives one block over from us. She's the only thing keeping him in this area. Her health is really bad, and with her eventual passing, having the kids relocate with us is a very real possibility.

hate having a reason to look forward to someone passing, but that is definitely the sort of thing that keeps people planted. For us it was the fact that we each have a sibling who is a single/divorced parent who depends on our parents for help with their kids and neither of our sets of parents would move away and leave them high and dry.