NP 231 Rear Output Shaft Seal Leak

Dcano1007@

I have replaced the output shaft seal x3 and it keeps leaking. The shaft isn’t nicked, has no excessive play. I have been very careful installing and have lubed more than needed.
I have also cleared the vent tube for the transfer case so it can breathe.
I am using Napa brand seals which are supposed to be good.
I have no idea what to do next, it is driving me nuts. I am also tired of doing the same job over and over.
Help please!

Are you overfilling it?
Have you done this before? I checked out the seal and the lip was kinked. I pulled lip and now it is resting along the grove where the lock ring goes. No leak after this.
Is that where it is supposed to go or did I get lucky?

The seal surface should be smooth, free of nicks, indentations, or grooves. If none of those are present then it could be an install issue, ie, it is getting damaged when you install it. Many seals also have a spring to retain seal tension which can pop off during the install.

Everything checks out, no issue and I am being very careful during install. Like I mentioned on my previous post, now the lip of the seal is riding on the outer edge of the grove and the leak is gone.

So I finally got it figured out. Even though I was being very careful, the seal was catching in the lock ring notch causing the inner lip to fold on itself and causing it to leak.
Three tries with Napa seals and one with Crown. The Crown was the one that finally sat well and proper. On the last try I used electrical tape to keep it from catching.
I think it was my fault and not the Napa seals, I typically like and trust Napa products.

In addition, Napa sells the lock ring pliers needed for this job.

Reactions: Rob5589