NP/NV231J: The Beefening

Can't remember if you have added a lift or not but the factory ones look like this. The can clunk as you go over things if the bushings are shot or bolts are loose.

th?id=OIP.1eohPl6CDkQK8eMjO5yydgEsEs&w=214&h=210&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1.jpg

Wait I thought u were pointing out something in the case that was also called a control arm but of course I know what that is ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No. It would be odd for your T-case to clunk as you roll over things at low speed but not for a control arm with bad bushing or loose bolt.

Reactions: Tj04
Ahhh, I know what you mean. My wife has me remodeling the bathroom, putting up a new fence in the yard, and after that it's new windows. It never ends!

I guess the good thing is that I already have most of everything I need done to my TJ. But yes, these "projects" definitely take away the time I could be spending doing fun stuff.

I've been through my house once already...Done the bathrooms, windows, paint, flooring, etc. We've been there 15 years though, so now things are looking "dated" so I get to start over!

I've been through my house once already...Done the bathrooms, windows, paint, flooring, etc. We've been there 15 years though, so now things are looking "dated" so I get to start over!

Oh man... At least one day when we die we won't have to worry about things like this... Haha.

Don't feel stupid. These days most your age wouldn't even attempt to work on their own vehicles much less know what everything is called.

X2. Props to you for doing the sort of things that most men your age wouldn't even have an interest in. That already puts you ahead of the curve!

Reactions: Nicholas
Don't feel stupid. These days most your age wouldn't even attempt to work on their own vehicles much less know what everything is called.
It's true I'm so glad I put the lift on myself with a friend, it also inspired me for what I want to do for my future a lot. And yea as long as I get this thing situated and solved I'll be happy.

Well anyways I'm probably just going to risk it and I'm 85% sure it's the chain so I'll just go for buying the chain and hoping for the best, it's 75$ and might need replacing anyways

The NP231 chain is not "hard" (I understand its a relative term) to replace at all if you were able to bolt on a lift with your friend.

NP 231 chains have been known to stretch. No doubt about it.

By no hard I mean there are no special tools required nor any special measurment devices needed. Not even a machine press or bearing puller.

There are tons of videos on youtube showing how-to's on removing the np231 and changing the chain.
This one goes through a SYE install. But you can see the chain and how in only a few steps he has the chain off. All you would do is stop there and put a new chain on and bolt it back up.

Reactions: JMT and Chris
The NP231 chain is not "hard" (I understand its a relative term) to replace at all if you were able to bolt on a lift with your friend.

NP 231 chains have been known to stretch. No doubt about it.

By no hard I mean there are no special tools required nor any special measurment devices needed. Not even a machine press or bearing puller.

There are tons of videos on youtube showing how-to's on removing the np231 and changing the chain.
This one goes through a SYE install. But you can see the chain and how in only a few steps he has the chain off. All you would do is stop there and put a new chain on and bolt it back up.

Thanks man. This is probably the most help I've gotten from anyone really appreciate it. I'll look more into the noise tonight before I make my decision to buy a new one, in fact this one is sa d to be a stronger one for the NP231

Okay I've decided I'm going to purchase the chain but before I just want to make sure about what seals / deal I need with it, and what kind of fluid I would need. If there's anyone here that knows? I'd truly appreciate it.

2 quarts of ATF+3 (ATF+4 also works fine.) for the NP231

You shouldn't need any seals I don't think (may be wrong!)

The two halves are sealed with black rtv.

You may need a new pickup filter as well depending how worn the chain is and if it's damaged any teeth.

Edit: I might change my chain too soon. Meh I don't really want to. Anyone have a rough estimate of lifespan of a chain for the 231? I'm sure how often you use your t case plays a huge role.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nicholas