NSG370 transmission issue

Randy_K

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I am a fairly new owner of a 2006 4L Jeep TJ with the NSG370 6 speed standard. I thought the tranny shifting felt a bit unusual when i first bought it and had a tranny shop take it for a spin. They said they felt no issues. I have sense done a 2" body lift.

I have been getting grinding when going into 2nd. I have had it pop out of second more then a few times. I removed the shift console and rubber boot as i thought they may be binding after the body lift with no change. The body lift did come with a extension for the shifter.

Any ideas what could be wrong ? I'm not sure if the shifting issues are from the lift , normal or a bigger problem.

Last edited:
IMO trans. gear shifting has nothing to do with the lift.
Maybe inspect your shift linkage, rail, fork, synchro.ass'y. pressure plate, bad cylinder, low fluid, etc. could be anything but the 2" lift.

The NSG370 is well known to grind 1-2 and at times 2-3. There are also many reports of popping out of first gear, I haven't read about popping out of 2nd, however. If all is good post body lift, I would change the fluid to Redline MTL and see if that helps. It helped mine a bit and I have read about others reporting positive results as well. Just be aware that you are dealing with a truck transmission, so slow and easy shifts are preferable. That and it is just a noisy, clunky transmission.

Sounds like 2 issues 1) a little grinding because of the nature of that tranny and 2) popping out of 2nd after the BL ... which is most likely because the tranny is not going all the way into 2nd due to hitting the console. You can just slide the console back 1/2" or so and rebolt it down.

Sounds like 2 issues 1) a little grinding because of the nature of that tranny and 2) popping out of 2nd after the BL ... which is most likely because the tranny is not going all the way into 2nd due to hitting the console. You can just slide the console back 1/2" or so and rebolt it down.
X2. Previous NSG370s all tended to grind 1st to 2nd. I have to say, though, a 2" body lift is pretty high...OP, any reason you went that high? I would definitely anticipate shifting issues with that much BL.

Reactions: CodaMan
When you install a BL the body is raised and the transmission stays stationary. The angle of the shifter is angled to the rear, and the more you raise the body the closer the shifter is to the console or even the body cutout. Since the shifter is surrounded by a rubber boot, that boot compresses between the shifter and the console. That compressed rubber can pop the shifter out of gear ... 2nd, 4th and Rev on the 5 speed and 2nd, 4th, 6th and Rev on the 6 speed.

All I did was remove the 4 or 5 screws holding down the console, slide it to the rear some, then re-secured it with self-tapping screws ... Problem Solved