NSG370 vs 42RLE

OutdoorEd

Supporting Member
Ok. I can’t shake the “want” for an auto TJ.

Rightly or wrongly, I prefer the 2005/2006 variants, and I know that’s a whole other discussion. I love my manual 05, but given the opportunity would most people swap for an auto? Or the other way around, is this just a case of change for change sake.

Reactions: JMT
Between those two transmissions, I wouldn’t really want either. The NSG370 is somewhat a piece of junk that happens to have fantastic ratios. The auto I plain would not ever go for unless I was building a rig for rocks specifically. I despise automatics on the street. So if it were me in your shoes, I’d say no, and if I were having NSG problems then I’d be looking at an AX15 to replace it. But that’s without a bunch of offroad use.

My guess is the answer most will have to your question is no, assuming they bought the Jeep they wanted. If their needs have changed and they are moving more and more towards difficult off-roading, then maybe. It comes down to what you want and need.

Reactions: ColoJeep and Rickyd
Several of us in recent years have switched from 5/6 speed manuals to the 42rle. It is significantly easier to get a Jeep with an automatic from the start.

The complaints about the 42rle are quite exaggerated, mostly from those who won't regear deep enough.

I have never once regretted mine.

I think an auto would be nice off road but I like driving my 6 speed. Anxious to get it on the road after the regear. I may casualty collect parts for a swap down the road.

Right now I am happy with my tractor.

The shifter for the auto looks like a giant fire alarm pull down and I can unsee it. 😆

• Haha
Reactions: TheBoogieman
All good input, thanks.
I don’t need an auto for technical crawling, there is next to none where I am in Australia, and the gearing, I’m on 4.56’s with 33’s. But where I am, there is no steep hills/mountains on the highways to be a concern. And when I say none, I meet real flat for about 2500-3000km. So I’d be happy with a little less RPM.

As for my manual, it’s still in pretty good shape, and I don’t give it a hard time off road.

I guess I was more looking for personal experiences from others. Those that have one or both and hated them. Did anyone change to an auto and regret the change, there seems to be as many people swapping to manual from auto as there is the other way. If I did it, after reading a bit about how involved it is, I’d likely by an auto TJ and swap all my suspension and axles over. Rather than swapping the gear box.

All good input, thanks.
I don’t need an auto for technical crawling, there is next to none where I am in Australia, and the gearing, I’m on 4.56’s with 33’s. But where I am, there is no steep hills/mountains on the highways to be a concern. And when I say none, I meet real flat for about 2500-3000km. So I’d be happy with a little less RPM.

As for my manual, it’s still in pretty good shape, and I don’t give it a hard time off road.

I guess I was more looking for personal experiences from others. Those that have one or both and hated them. Did anyone change to an auto and regret the change, there seems to be as many people swapping to manual from auto as there is the other way. If I did it, after reading a bit about how involved it is, I’d likely by an auto TJ and swap all my suspension and axles over. Rather than swapping the gear box.

As mentioned, several have swapped from the NSG-370 to the 42rle. I followed suit earlier this year. No regrets. I was tired of shifting, my R was going out, and no reputable rebuilders of that transmission. My gearing is inadequate at 4.56 and 35’s, but I got the @Wranglerfix tune a few weeks ago to tide me over. Today is always the best day ever in the Jeep. So much fun.

IMG_2310.jpeg

IMG_2608.jpeg

IMG_2770.jpeg

IMG_2833.jpeg

IMG_2875.jpeg

IMG_2938.jpeg

This is a great question that has me interested. I've posted that I'm going to be going through a left hip revision in a couple of months. I'm not sure that I will be able to drive a stick after. I really enjoy driving my 6 speed Rubicon.

Back when I sat in countless total joints surgeries (circa 2012), total hip replacements and hip revisions generally had great results and were light years ahead of total knee replacements. I'd like to think that you will be good to go soon. :)

Back when I sat in countless total joints surgeries (circa 2012), total hip replacements and hip revisions generally had great results and were light years ahead of total knee replacements. I'd like to think that you will be good to go soon. :)

Thanks @MikeE024, I really appreciate that info. I really don't want to give up my TJR.

Reactions: MikeE024
Both our old 2004 LJ and our new 2004 LJR have been the 42RLE. Currently we’re geared to 5.13’s, equipped with an external cooler and a temp gauge to keep an on tranny temps.

So far so good for daily driving, commuting around town and for our recent local rockcrawling trip.

The auto was VERY nice to have while dealing with lockers, spotting instructions, vehicle stability/physics and brake/throttle controls.

Much smoother than a 5peed, though i’ll admit there are skilled 5 speed drivers out there (we were with one) and i enjoy a manual sports/muscle car on the road.

IMG_8666.jpeg

IMG_8667.jpeg

IMG_8631.jpeg

IMG_8626.jpeg