NSG370 vs 42RLE

The 42RLE is pretty nice to drive now that I raised the shift points a significant amount. The member who showed me how to make the changes made note of this a year or two ago in a thread, but it basically went unnoticed. I was lucky that he was kind enough to reach out and help me learn how to make the changes.

IMO, raising the 3-4 up-shift and 4-3 kick-down schedules have unlocked my setup into truly being enjoyable. With OD on in town, it's easier to keep it in 3 than it is to drop it to and keep it in 4 (I have to basically be coasting). I don't need to touch the OD switch at all, which used to be a must unless I wanted to be miserable.

Edit: I used an HP Tuners MPVI2+, which can adjust the 05/06 shift points….I don’t know if the HP Tuners devices can adjust the shift points in the 04 and earlier models.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
I’ve also considered a 4L60. Do you know what the overdrive ratio is, and how do they compare for length vs the 42RLE.

Here's some 2wd lengths.The 4l60 is a 700r4 as far as i know. You need to add 4x4 tailhousing and adapters on both ends. Or do a chevy/jeep hybrid np231 to skip the rear adapter.not a short combo.Getting a torque converter to match is difficult as well according to blaine
25DEF9E0-3076-48A3-A0E1-31889A2BAF98.jpeg

Reactions: OutdoorEd
"The 700R4 transmission first gear, second gear, third gear, fourth gear, and reverse gear are 3.06, 1.63, 1, 0.7, and 2.9 respectively. Its lower first gear ratio provides excellent performance for low vehicle speeds."

It does have a better first gear ratio compared to the 2.7 first in the tj autos.but a similar tall overdrive gear

I have always had manual trans vehicles in my 66 years on this rock and love my 06 Rubi with the 6spd. It still operates like new and without abuse, should last awhile. But I do see the benefits of an auto for crawling, but not enough to make me want one. If the need arises I will install a Tremec with that deep 1st gear and modify my UCF skid plate since it is slightly larger compared to the NSG. But since you are in OZ I would imagine it being VERY costly to ship. Oh yea, I LOVE OZ, I spent a year and a half there in the late 80s traveling in a VW and surfing. Great country with great people!!

Reactions: OutdoorEd and Zorba
I have always had manual trans vehicles in my 66 years on this rock and love my 06 Rubi with the 6spd. It still operates like new and without abuse, should last awhile. But I do see the benefits of an auto for crawling, but not enough to make me want one. If the need arises I will install a Tremec with that deep 1st gear and modify my UCF skid plate since it is slightly larger compared to the NSG. But since you are in OZ I would imagine it being VERY costly to ship. Oh yea, I LOVE OZ, I spent a year and a half there in the late 80s traveling in a VW and surfing. Great country with great people!!

I won't run UCF stuff after learning that the owner rips off designs and his parts crack because he doesn't sufficiently understand aluminum as well as he should.

As mentioned, several have swapped from the NSG-370 to the 42rle. I followed suit earlier this year. No regrets. I was tired of shifting, my R was going out, and no reputable rebuilders of that transmission. My gearing is inadequate at 4.56 and 35’s, but I got the @Wranglerfix tune a few weeks ago to tide me over. Today is always the best day ever in the Jeep. So much fun.

You will ask yourself "Why did I wait?" after you re-gear to 5.38s.

Reactions: jjvw
I won't run UCF stuff after learning that the owner rips off designs and his parts crack because he doesn't sufficiently understand aluminum as well as he should.

I did not know that he stole the designs, and I guess I am glad mine is steel.

Last edited:
Here's some 2wd lengths.The 4l60 is a 700r4 as far as i know. You need to add 4x4 tailhousing and adapters on both ends. Or do a chevy/jeep hybrid np231 to skip the rear adapter.not a short combo.Getting a torque converter to match is difficult as well according to blaine
View attachment 534523

4l60 = 700r4. 4l60e = headaches when put under stress

Still a great country, but over regulation makes it very frustrating. I guess the grass is always greener, I’d live in the US if I could in a heartbeat.

Reactions: DJs TJ
Still a great country, but over regulation makes it very frustrating. I guess the grass is always greener, I’d live in the US if I could in a heartbeat.

Yea and the fond memories I have from Oz are from the 80s when all I did was travel, surf, chug XXXX , and nail the Sheilas, truly one of the best times of my life! .BUT... Just like here I am sure it is very different now.

• Haha
Reactions: OutdoorEd
So you want a 32 rh from a cj or a 727 from a wagoneer, because they don’t need any electrical besides a neutral safety switch.

YJ's also had a 32RH, I don't think I realized CJ's did too. But a 727 will bolt up/fit? I know it was pretty similar to the A904 platform, but it's different enough from the 727 that parts don't easily interchange (ask me how I know).

YJ's also had a 32RH, I don't think I realized CJ's did too. But a 727 will bolt up/fit? I know it was pretty similar to the A904 platform, but it's different enough from the 727 that parts don't easily interchange (ask me how I know).

So the cj was called the 999 behind the 258, it’s a 904 pattern with a few minor changes, same as the 32rh. The 727 amc transmission is the same length, tail shaft housing, bolt pattern and torque converter bolt pattern as the 999/32rh. Shift linkage interchanges , and shaft lengths are the same. The only sucky thing is in the passenger drop with the dana 300, the driveshaft hit the pan and I think the accumulator that was larger on a 727. Oh the gears ratios are different between them, the 904 series is a 2.73:1 and the 727 is a 2.43:1 first gear.

You will ask yourself "Why did I wait?" after you re-gear to 5.38s.

I have a good reason for waiting. It will cost me over $5000 for a series of reasons.

As an aside and joke, I can only go to 5.13.

• Sad
Reactions: Rickyd
So the cj was called the 999 behind the 258, it’s a 904 pattern with a few minor changes, same as the 32rh. The 727 amc transmission is the same length, tail shaft housing, bolt pattern and torque converter bolt pattern as the 999/32rh. Shift linkage interchanges , and shaft lengths are the same. The only sucky thing is in the passenger drop with the dana 300, the driveshaft hit the pan and I think the accumulator that was larger on a 727. Oh the gears ratios are different between them, the 904 series is a 2.73:1 and the 727 is a 2.43:1 first gear.

Did the yj get a locking torque converter?

Reactions: Rickyd