NV3550 shifting problems (grinding in second and third gear)

I actually got my rebuilt NV3550 for around $1000 shipped from a place that parts out Jeeps. Only problem I've had is that it pops out of 4th sometimes when decelerating. Otherwise it shifts flawlessly and I'm pretty happy with it. From what the place told me, it was rebuilt with American parts and not the junk from China.

Would I swap an AX-15 in if this transmission goes bad? Probably. Is it a necessity? Not really, at least from what I've seen.

See, Id be really upset if I paid a grand for a reman and it had any flaws, like popping out of gear. Thats why I went with new. Curious though, do you have a body lift? Ive read about manuals popping out of 4th gear due to the tub coming into contact w the shifter.

See, Id be really upset if I paid a grand for a reman and it had any flaws, like popping out of gear. Thats why I went with new. Curious though, do you have a body lift? Ive read about manuals popping out of 4th gear due to the tub coming into contact w the shifter.

It isn't shifter related. I've had it before and after the frame swap, and before and after my body lift and TT. $1000 for a transmission is pretty cheap in my book. And the issue isn't that noticeable. If you rest your hand on the shifter in 4th it won't do anything. If I had gone with the more expensive advance adapters unit, I would be upset. But for $1000, I'm happy with my purchase.

It isn't shifter related. I've had it before and after the frame swap, and before and after my body lift and TT. $1000 for a transmission is pretty cheap in my book. And the issue isn't that noticeable. If you rest your hand on the shifter in 4th it won't do anything. If I had gone with the more expensive advance adapters unit, I would be upset. But for $1000, I'm happy with my purchase.

That is a small issue I would just live with. If it was rebuilt with quality parts you should be good to go. If, and when, that trans. goes south then you can consider swapping to an AX-15 trans. At this point that is unwarranted.

Now, do you need to get new driveshafts when swapping to the AX-15? It's a couple inches shorter iirc. And my stock Rubi shafts only move a bit more than an inch. I'm guessing a non-Rubi with a slip yolk eliminater would need new shafts too, yea?

Now, do you need to get new driveshafts when swapping to the AX-15? It's a couple inches shorter iirc. And my stock Rubi shafts only move a bit more than an inch. I'm guessing a non-Rubi with a slip yolk eliminater would need new shafts too, yea?

That is my question for those with more knowledge. I don't know the answer.

No, the AX-15 and the NV3550 are exactly the same length and no modifications to the driveshafts should be required. You even re-use the original bell housing.

I waited a couple of weeks after changing the fluid in the trans. I drained out the Purple Synchromesh and put in the MTL Fluid. I gave it a couple of weeks to break in and have to say it definitely helped with the shifting. I also checked the clutch fluid, it was ok. I know it's a band aid and only delaying the inevitable, but it helped for now. Thank you everyone for your inputs!