O2 sensor codes keep showing up

Rick Carter

I have replaced all o2 sensors ,took it to the dealer they thought it was the computer sent it to BBA back east they fix it send it to me I had it installed ,engine light still on the shop checks it an says computer call BBA it is under warranty send it back to them an they check it an find no problem with it they will overnight it back to me. Does any body have ideas I can tell Dave’s auto what to look for??? The Jeep dealer did a service bulletin 25-005-13 2005 Jeep Wrangler. Thanks Rick

Hmmm, sounds like it could be the dreaded 2005 PCM issue (I'm assuming it's a 2005), in which case the only fix may indeed be a new PCM.

Ground from all 4 sensors and battery ground next to oil filter. 1/2 deep well socket wire brush put back on. Shazam

514828F9-AF8E-4929-8FF3-B48653DF3528.png

Reactions: Sierra96
My repeated O2 sensor codes ended up having been caused by a bad pre-catalytic converter. Replacing my cats stopped all O2 sensor codes. The bad pre-cat ended up coming apart internally and its parts were blown downstream into the main cat which clogged it so badly my top speed was cut to 5 mph within a quarter-mile on the freeway.

Reactions: chad
C0A11288-A274-4301-9560-E2AAEFDB8CFD.jpeg

I’m having the same issue on my 06 LJ and going to try to clean G105 this weekend. Already replaced PCM from FS1, changed all O2s, and did the TSB at dealership. Hopefully that will do the trick.

My repeated O2 sensor codes ended up having been caused by a bad pre-catalytic converter. Replacing my cats stopped all O2 sensor codes. The bad pre-cat ended up coming apart internally and its parts were blown downstream into the main cat which clogged it so badly my top speed was cut to 5 mph within a quarter-mile on the freeway.

Jerry, I am a bit confused. You state the repeated O2 codes was caused the bad pre-cats and that replacing the cats stopped all codes. If you replaced them, then why did it break apart and clog the main cat? You then state your "top speed was cut to 5 mph within a quarter-mile on the freeway". This statement evokes three additional questions: #1 - What is your top speed?, #2 - how much was your speed cut in a half a mile and / or less than a quarter mile?, #3 - How much was your top speed cut on the side streets as opposed to the freeway?

miss80five, I urge caution in listening to the "replace your cats" and the "105" crowd.

Replacing the cats is an expensive and labor intensive adventure in hopes that it clears your codes. If the cat is clogged or otherwise defective, it should glow red and or cause a severe loss in power. Not sure if it will cause your top speed to be cut to 5 mph within a quarter-mile on the freeway, but a clogged cat will not allow the engine to rev up to it normal engine speed. You can also check for a clogged cat by removing the O2 sensor to see if that allows the engine to rev to a normal RPM. I assume your Jeep otherwise runs fine and shows no signs of a bad catalytic converter.

As for the G105 advice, I am certain that your #105 ground has been cleaned since you have come to this point in your attempt to address your O2 sensor troubles ...if it looks clean, it is clean! The "Clean your #105 ground strap this fixed mine" theory is highly unlikely! This is just a ground point that completes the circuit for your O2 sensor. Unless the bolt has somehow fallen out, it is probably making sufficient ground. I cleaned the G105 long before I ever heard of a G105 and it didn't make a difference!

And forget about the gas cap, that won't fix your O2 sensors either. And don't go on a quest looking for the O2 fuse or an O2 relay ...that appears to be an urban myth too!

Having said that, what codes are you getting? As in what number? For example, I am getting the P0031, 37, 51, & 57 error codes. This is the heater circuit low for all four O2 sensors.

In closing, if your ONLY problem is the check engine light is ON, just be thankful it runs at all. My Jeep will run sometimes as long as 5 miles and often times less than 3 miles. Mine has 90k miles and I doubt it will make it to my goal of 100k miles. I will probably set it on fire and put it out of MY misery first. I have put 5k miles on it in the last 7 years. Can't drive it much because it can't be safely driven over 40 mph. I have the worst distaste for Jeeps! It is the worst vehicle ever to have four wheels. Death wobble, gas spewing out when filling up, aftermarket sensor rejection, and my favorite: the ASD relay. Any manufacturer that creates a means of shutting down the engine at the slightest hiccup simply has NO faith in the reliability of their product!

All I can say is good luck or junk it and move on!

• Sad
miss80five, I urge caution in listening to the "replace your cats" and the "105" crowd.

Replacing the cats is an expensive and labor intensive adventure in hopes that it clears your codes. If the cat is clogged or otherwise defective, it should glow red and or cause a severe loss in power. Not sure if it will cause your top speed to be cut to 5 mph within a quarter-mile on the freeway, but a clogged cat will not allow the engine to rev up to it normal engine speed. You can also check for a clogged cat by removing the O2 sensor to see if that allows the engine to rev to a normal RPM. I assume your Jeep otherwise runs fine and shows no signs of a bad catalytic converter.

As for the G105 advice, I am certain that your #105 ground has been cleaned since you have come to this point in your attempt to address your O2 sensor troubles ...if it looks clean, it is clean! The "Clean your #105 ground strap this fixed mine" theory is highly unlikely! This is just a ground point that completes the circuit for your O2 sensor. Unless the bolt has somehow fallen out, it is probably making sufficient ground. I cleaned the G105 long before I ever heard of a G105 and it didn't make a difference!

And forget about the gas cap, that won't fix your O2 sensors either. And don't go on a quest looking for the O2 fuse or an O2 relay ...that appears to be an urban myth too!

Having said that, what codes are you getting? As in what number? For example, I am getting the P0031, 37, 51, & 57 error codes. This is the heater circuit low for all four O2 sensors.

In closing, if your ONLY problem is the check engine light is ON, just be thankful it runs at all. My Jeep will run sometimes as long as 5 miles and often times less than 3 miles. Mine has 90k miles and I doubt it will make it to my goal of 100k miles. I will probably set it on fire and put it out of MY misery first. I have put 5k miles on it in the last 7 years. Can't drive it much because it can't be safely driven over 40 mph. I have the worst distaste for Jeeps! It is the worst vehicle ever to have four wheels. Death wobble, gas spewing out when filling up, aftermarket sensor rejection, and my favorite: the ASD relay. Any manufacturer that creates a means of shutting down the engine at the slightest hiccup simply has NO faith in the reliability of their product!

All I can say is good luck or junk it and move on!
WOW, if you hate jeeps so much, why are you here?

How about using the post reply instead of the reply? There is a difference. Or quote a much shorter text that pertains to the point you are trying to make?

For example:
I will probably set it on fire and put it out of MY misery first.

~OR~
I have the worst distaste for Jeeps! It is the worst vehicle ever to have four wheels.

No sense in repeating the entire post, this just makes the thread even longer

***Getting back to your question:
WOW, if you hate jeeps so much, why are you here?
I hope to some day find a cure for the ailments that plagues my Jeep. I am stuck on the computer because I refuse to pay $800 for someone to repair the ECM and I am not convinced that a cheaper company at $400 will work either. I believe the processor in the ECM is defective and from what I gather that can't be fixed. My scanner stops reading live data and shortly thereafter it coughs & dies. I really think the only permanent fix is an engine swap or a carburetor / distributor swap from an older 4.0L. As for the death wobble and the gas tank filling problem? I have most parts to rebuild the entire front end and install aftermarket tubular adjustable suspension control arms. I also have the GM fuel tank hose to keep from getting gas soaked when I put gas in the Jeep. But there is no sense in fixing that stuff if the !@#$ thing won't run!